PDA

View Full Version : reef club meeting rental

snaggle
12-01-2004, 03:04 AM
I would like to gather intrest on holding meeting in a hall of some sorts around Edmonton and area please post here if you would be willing to do this and how much you would be willing to pay. I will look in to some places next week. If we get a large enough response we can even formalize the club. :biggrin: hope to see you all there. this idea thsks to this post http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12656 .

Brad

eddie holland
12-01-2004, 03:14 AM
i was in the aquarium club of edmonton.
it was 25$ a year. they had meetings once a month.
they would send out new letter every month.
and got 15% off fish and supplies.

Beverly
12-01-2004, 01:58 PM
i was in the aquarium club of edmonton.
it was 25$ a year. they had meetings once a month.
they would send out new letter every month.
and got 15% off fish and supplies.

It was suggested by one attendee at the weekend meeting that we become part of the ACE. The infrastructure is already in place, and we would become the "reef" part of the organization. The hall would already be rented and we would simply pay annual dues and reap the benefits of an already existing club.

Here is the place to join the Aquarium Club of Edmonton's (ACE) mailing list:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ACE_fish_club/

Here is their website:

http://www.fish-club.org/

Perhaps we should contact someone at ACE and see how we reefers could join.

Beverly
12-01-2004, 03:14 PM
Here is the email I sent to acefishclub@hotmail.com this morning:

There are a number of marine aquarists in Edmonton and area who are part of an informal Edmonton Reefing Club that are members of http://www.canreef.com/. Some of us are wondering if we may become part of ACE. I was wondering if your primarily freshwater organization is set up to accept marine aquarists as members. Please advise as to how a group of us may become ACE members.

Thank you in advance,
Beverly Wladyka

Personally, I'm not much of a meeting attender, but am willing to help get the ball rolling for those who might be interested in becoming part of the reefers section of ACE.

jess128
12-02-2004, 12:24 AM
I'm deffinately up for being a part of AFC. It would be cool if we could set up our own organization, but I understand that it would be difficult to do.

digger
12-02-2004, 02:36 AM
I would be interested.

eddie holland
12-02-2004, 02:52 AM
i have an old application for membership.
25$ one year.
vice-president is giovanni devenz. e mail gdvenz@shaw.ca
if some one wants to get a hold of him, or i could call him and get the info.

Beverly
12-02-2004, 04:16 PM
Ed,

Since you are already a member, why don't you contact them and see how reefers might fit into the existing club?

Nemain
12-02-2004, 08:47 PM
When I first started my tank, I tried in vain to get information from them. I personally wouldnt be interested in joining up.

I like the loose fit of people we have where we are, although the meetings can be a tad spread out at times. Normally I love structure, but this is my hobby, and perhaps I am a bit of a salt snob, but frankly a letter telling me about fresh water would end up in my junk mail, and the 25 bucks could get me a frag from a friend.

I think a community hall is a great idea to increase the quantity of meetings, but formalizing and requiring dues is just not my style. I like the everyone welcome attitude that we already have.

Beth

muck
12-02-2004, 09:16 PM
I have to second most of what Beth says.

I really enjoy the laidback approach to the hobby we have going on now. The board is great for communicating with others in your area as well as further away. Everyone has been more than helpful with all the problems or questions Ive had so far.

I would very rarely if ever go to a formal meeting with ACE. It doesn't interest me at all. The $25 could be spent on some mod for my system or a nice coral. Personally I think the informal get-togethers that already are going on are the best way to go. A little food, a little frag swapping, a little bit of fish geeks having fun and talking shop.

As far as renting a hall. Im still up in the air on that. I like the fact that more people can come, but I think it will be more hassle than it is worth. If im wrong so be it...

Richer
12-02-2004, 09:39 PM
I agree with muck and Beth. I like how we have things now. Even though things do get a bit chaotic every now and then, and its difficult to arrange our occasional meets. We do have a forum which most of us frequent every day... multiple times a day. We don't need regular meetings, as we basically have meetings everyday on this board. If we're going to chip money in for anything, it should be going to the board owner (Titus?) for hosting this board... not to a predominately FW club to host meetings that most of us will probably not go to regularly.
Besides, formalizing the club will mean electing people to head our section of the club, and a whole bunch of other formal procedures that I know I could do without

I think the way we do things is fine. Our group orders almost always go through, and I think we're usually quite happy with the results (the last J&L order for example, or the salt order before that, etc.). If we really want club discounts, maybe we could talk to Rob over at AI, or someone else over at Big Al's. It'd be a simple matter of getting our canreef nickname, our real name and perhaps our phone number to confirm who we are.

If we do formalize this club now, I will most likely not pay the 25 bucks. Like I said before, I'd rather see that money go elsewhere.

-Richer

Beverly
12-02-2004, 10:05 PM
Besides, formalizing the club will mean electing people to head our section of the club, and a whole bunch of other formal procedures that I know I could do without

Actually, you don't know if there will be elections, though you are assuming there will be. How about wait until we get word back from ACE before deciding.

We do a pretty good job already with group orders from MO, and that's great. But for new folks who need the support on the basic how-tos, formal-type of meetings may be just what they need. I am not a member of ACE, so I don't know the format of their meetings. They may be just like our own informal ones where folks sit around, ask questions from the old salts, and frags are traded. We at least need to know more before deciding. It may be well worth the $25 annually, which is just a tad over $2 per meeting.

In the event ACE can't accomodate us with ease, when can we come over to your place for a meet, Richer :mrgreen:

Richer
12-02-2004, 11:44 PM
I'm pretty sure they elect people... how else are they going to appoint someone to organize the meetings, collect fees, etc? At least, thats how the Calgary club works. Like I said before, I'd rather give someone else on this board 25 bucks.

-Richer

muck
12-03-2004, 12:06 AM
...Like I said before, I'd rather give someone else on this board 25 bucks.

-Richer
I'll volunteer to take your $25 Rich. :razz:

mr_alberta
12-03-2004, 12:27 AM
We do have a forum which most of us frequent every day... multiple times a day.

Heck, I live here :mrgreen:

Richer
12-03-2004, 12:28 AM

Its yours! Provided you make it worth my wild... :mrgreen:

Beverly
12-03-2004, 12:29 AM
I'm pretty sure they elect people... how else are they going to appoint someone to organize the meetings, collect fees, etc? At least, thats how the Calgary club works.

:agrue: ACE already has a board elected. If we become members, we assume that board, unless ACE needs to have a separate board because we're a group of reefing people, which I doubt is the case. However, I could be as wrong as you might be :razz: Again, let's find out what they have to say before deciding. BTW, I have not yet heard back from them. When I do, I will post their response on this topic.

jess128
12-03-2004, 12:31 AM
After hearing some of those comments I'm frowning upon the idea of joining an official club. I'm willing to hear what AFC has to say though. I think the best idea whould be to have regular meetings (maybe once every 2 months?) and we can rent out a hall. As I said in the other thread, it's not too expensive to rent a community hall for a few hours. I'm sure there would be at least 15 of us going, do that would only be about $10 each, maybe $15. I'm willing to spend $10 every 2 months for a meeting.
-Jess

mr_alberta
12-03-2004, 12:37 AM

:eek: TOO MUCH INFO!

Richer
12-03-2004, 12:38 AM

:eek: TOO MUCH INFO!

I think you're reading a bit too much into it.... heheheh :evil: :mrgreen:

-Richer

Beverly
12-05-2004, 12:37 AM
Here is the email I sent to acefishclub@hotmail.com this morning:

There are a number of marine aquarists in Edmonton and area who are part of an informal Edmonton Reefing Club that are members of http://www.canreef.com/. Some of us are wondering if we may become part of ACE. I was wondering if your primarily freshwater organization is set up to accept marine aquarists as members. Please advise as to how a group of us may become ACE members.

Thank you in advance,
Beverly Wladyka

Here is the reply I received this afternoon. Looks like the president has to look into our request:

Hi Beverly,

Thanks for your interest. I'm forwarding this email to Michael Pham who will be able to answer your question better than I can.

Tuan

Will let you know what Michael's reply is when I get it.

Beverly
12-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Here is the reply I received from Michael Pham:

Hi Beverly,
We are welcome any one who keeping aquarium fishes to our club.
We are meeting on the first Tuesday of each month.
Please check our web site for the meeting place and time.

Thank you for your interest.

Michael

From the Membership page of ACE's website, http://www.fish-club.org/ :

Benefits of Joining the Club

A monthly newsletter "Aqua Babble" with articles and the latest info about the club.

Meeting other fish heads to sell, trade, or give away fish, plants, or items.

Access to an extensive collection of books on fishes.

Ability to sell fish and items at our awesome auctions.

Fabulous monthly presentations with prize draws.

10% to 15% discounts at various local pet stores. Details will vary according to each store's policies or promotions.

All this for one low yearly membership fee of $25.00.

While I am not typically interested in joining organizations, I can easily see the financial benefits of joining ACE, especially compared to renting a hall a few times a year. I subsribe to ACE's mailing list and there are a (very) few reefers that post from time to time.

<Edit> I have also been to ACE's auctions, the last one being about a year ago. While they did not have any marine stuff for auction, they did have a marine display courtesy of Big Al's, so I'm sure they are willing and able to accept reefers as members. </edit>

Overall, I think Michael's reply was encouraging. IMO, for a measly $25, which most of us easily have on hand for any number of reef-related activities, this may well turn out to be the best investment for those who feel the need to get toether to regularly. The organization is already in place. All a person has to do is show up, this Tuesday night is the next meeting, and get into the swing of things :biggrin:

Dez
12-06-2004, 04:40 PM
I think that we should have our own fish/equipment/coral auctions... that would be fun... I'm sure Al could of gotten a lot more for his cat paws if he auctioned them off :lol: I probably would have paid more.. And most of us have a "junk" pile that's treasure to others.

des