PDA

View Full Version : design 130 gal set-up

dewy
12-01-2004, 12:27 AM
I have a 9o gal reef and now want o move up to a 130 gal 6 foot C 21"appox. Will be keeping corals and need some ideas would like to do it right this time so I don't have to do it twice lighting and skimmer as well as the sump design. Where and what to buy is what I need as well as any other ideas.
And if you have an idea what a 6-month-old 90 gal over flow with sump and 1 coral life 4X65w 48" jan 2004 new al hood and 1 4X65 48" al hood coralife lunar lights (sept 04 new) worth let me know
thanks

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-01-2004, 02:52 AM
What's your wish list?

SPS
LPS
Soft corals
No fish
Few fish
Lots of fish
Clams

The lighting will depend on what types of corals you want to keep. Metal halides are necessary for SPS, PC &/or T-5 would do for most LPS & softies. Would be looking at a dual 250W with actinic flourescents (VHO, NO or T-5), I imagine as your most versatile lighting choice. Metal halides will get hot, something to thing about for the summer.

Are you looking at in-sump skimmer or hang-on-tank? Don't believe the volume ratings for many manufacturers. Generally, for a reef tank be a Tim Allen. More filtration & skimming power is appreciated, unless you don't plan to heavily stock.

Good luck on your upgrade.

dewy
12-01-2004, 03:35 AM
only have 18"height under tank for sump and skimmer and i want clams and all the stuff my pc won't support

hockey nut
12-01-2004, 09:31 AM
Ah yes . The upgrade. We all have been there and I am currently still going thru it. Only been 6 months now....... Happy happy joy joy. :biggrin:

Most people will tell you lights and skimmer then flow.

You need a good light setup to keep most clams. MH lights etc. A decent skimmer will save some headaches down the road too. Everyones oppinions very as well, so do some research.

The good thing is you have come to the right site. Many people here are helpful and have great used stuff for sale. So that is where I would start. Make a list of what you have and what you want in your tank and then what you need. Then get a second job :mrgreen:

HTH Cheers

danny zubot
12-01-2004, 03:09 PM
You may be able to use some of your old lighting to suppliment any new lighting you get. ie: Actinics etc. As far as the skimmer is concern, 18 inches isn't a lot of room. You might consider a Tunze 0220.3, they have a fairly low profile. Check out Reefgeeks.com , Aquadirect.com and
Preimiumauqatics.com.

Good luck!