PDA

View Full Version : The first six years

Dearth
05-29-2017, 03:32 AM
As of this month six years ago I discovered the joys of empty wallet syndrome

I started off with a 33 gallon tank and a lot of help from a friend who got me started with the right equipment to help me on my journey into discovery and madness.

I still had a rough introduction to the hobby and a very painful visit to the ER yet through the mistakes, pain and shock of a couple of partial tank crashes I pushed through and by the end of my first year in the hobby I discovered that I managed to keep more things alive than I had killed and they were growing. Then into my second year of the hobby I acquired my second and current tank a 95 gallon wave tank which is both an awesome tank and a pain in my arse tank all at once. Those who have these tanks know the pain.

Not to mention asking the same question every one of use has heard time and time again (bristle worms, brittle stars, algae and so on):redface::redface::redface:

As I went about setting it up I went through the usual worries: is it too heavy for my floor, setting up a sump system, piping and lighting issues, how much rock, flow and powerheads I would need. The list went on and on as did my nervousness and stress until one day everything came together and I filled my new tank and after some fine tuning everything was working and the stress went away.

3 months later after cycling and slowly adding stuff I finally put my first fish in and never looked back. Four and a half years on 2 more partial tank crashes, a heart attack and my lights catching fire I have a healthy thriving tank. By my standards it's not a pretty tank but it's my tank and I love it and hate it all at the same time as many reefer will tell you it's a sentiment most of us share about our tanks.

We will see what is in store for me moving forward and I step into the unknown to see which way I go

iceman86
05-29-2017, 04:11 AM
Congrats! I'm on year 5 anyone who's been around for a bit, knows this hobby is a constant learning curve. Lots of ups and downs but I still love this hobby more than any other I've had.

Cheers!

takeastabatit22
05-29-2017, 03:03 PM
Thanks for that update
I am entering my second year and it's nice to hear it's not just me. I just found this site and started learning so much. It seem a lot easier when your not alone with no exsperance

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

mike31154
05-30-2017, 05:58 AM
I was gonna start a thread ruminating about my 77 gallon sumpless 2nd hand tank that's now been running just over 10 years, but this one ties in nicely. A few near misses, some loss of livestock but no major crashes, fingers crossed! Waiting for the dreaded old tank syndrome event.

Just did a water change today & wouldn't you know it, my BTA, which has been in there since the beginning decided to have a spawning event, clouding up the water big time. Strange breasts those nems. Over the years it went through multiple splits, but has settled down & simply grown for quite a number of years now. The darn thing spawned about a month ago, so not sure what's up all of a sudden. Don't recall spawning events in such short succession, perhaps they happened, I just didn't see them. Strange critters.

xandraescape
05-30-2017, 07:12 AM
I have just started, and I am still in the process of learning about this hobby. I am really thankful that I have found this forum as I am continuously learning from the members of this community. :wink: