PDA

View Full Version : Goniopora, Tubipora, Elegance: anyone keeping these?

trilinearmipmap
11-30-2004, 12:49 AM
Just wondering about these corals.

Of course I've read not to get Goniopora at all because they don't survive long-term. Just wondering what other people's experiences have been. No, I won't buy one, just wondering about this.

With Tubipora they are supposed to be a little difficult but not impossible, who is keeping these?

Same question for Elegance corals, wondering what people's experiences have been.

Tarolisol
11-30-2004, 12:59 AM
I have a gonipora and have had it nice and healthy for over 6 months, recently my clowns have come to host in it. Mine is kept under PC lights.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-30-2004, 01:47 AM
Elegance used to be easy to keep, but apparently something has changed in the last 2-3 years and now most of the people can't keep them long term. Elegance also come from murky, turbid waters; whereas, most reefers keep their reef tanks as pristine as possible. These are actually lagoon corals & my friend at the LFS told me not to get elegance until they figure out why most are dying in people's tanks.

Goniopora - tried 'em, no luck. Have now stopped, even though they're one of my wife's favourites. She always knows how to pick the difficult-impossible spp. :rolleyes:

EmilyB
11-30-2004, 01:51 AM
I bought a couple goni's early in the hobby and ended up trading them in for something else about six months later. They did great, probably because I didn't really know what I was doing. :confused:

A subsequent goni lasted a few months. I kept an elegance for six months, it was awesome. I moved it to another tank and it died. I still wonder if it would have survived had I left that other tank up.

Bob I
11-30-2004, 03:47 AM
Tubipora difficult :question: This is Tubipora musica in my tank. (pruning time again)

http://members.shaw.ca/rcipema/tubipora.jpg

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-30-2004, 10:24 PM
Just got a pipe organ coral (Tubin. sp.) and it's doing great. My friend Don has had his for years and it's growing, but slowly. Mine was white (bleached?) when I got it, but in less than 5 days it has already started to colour up again. Was in a rush to go tutoring, so I just plopped it in the tank (I know, Me Bad), but got luck this time & every polyp is open & looking like a tiny flower. :biggrin:

DukeB
12-03-2004, 05:57 PM
I have an elegance coral. Been in my tank about 7 months. It has been happy and heathy since I put it in. I keep it under 250watt halides in a moderate flow area. So far it shows no symptoms of the dreaded plague.
I couldn't advise anyone to purchase one though. A large number of the elegance corals I have seen at the lfs don't look so healthy, and eventually perish before being sold :sad:.
I also keep goniopora and alveopora. I have had both for almost a year.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-25-2004, 10:06 PM
Got a beautiful big Elegance from Coral Ocean a couple of weeks ago & so far its doing great in my seahorse tank. Fed frequently & its positioned on the bottom where light levels are not ridiculously high, flow is moderate & nutrient levels are relatively high. Seems to like where it is & after eating some mysis, it swells to almost 7" across. Starting off with such a healthy specimen to begin with will hopefully give me a chance to give this Elegance a place to live & grow for a long time. Keeping fingers crossed.