PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful but deadly :(

Delphinus
11-30-2004, 12:34 AM
http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/anemones/90g.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/anemones/ritteri-frontview.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/anemones/ritteri-sideview.JPG

I love this anemone, but, there is a reason there is only one percula fish in this whole 90g. It doesn't eat fish; never has in fact, however, it sure is deadly to them.

I've had this anemone now for more than 3.5 years and I am starting to wonder how many mysterious fish losses in the past I've misattributed to other causes.

The latest fish to be introduced to this tank lasted less than 24 hours. He is not dead yet and I am now setting up an emergency hospital tank but it may be too late.

I guess my lesson is learnt: I cannot keep any fish in this tank other than anemonefish. The anemone is a tremendous drain on resources and it is frustrating to have a tank devoid of fish life. The percula obviously counts as a "fish life" but he/she never leaves the anemone. Even when the anemone was moved from one tank to the other, she wouldn't leave the anemone, and hitched a ride inside the anemone, outside of the water.

EmilyB
11-30-2004, 01:48 AM
Do you think you could put in a whole whack of juvenile percs? That would be awesome but perhaps that doesn't work in captivity. :confused:

marie
11-30-2004, 02:04 AM
Do you think you could put in a whole whack of juvenile percs? That would be awesome but perhaps that doesn't work in captivity. :confused:
I second that suggestion :cool: . It works in the wild, if nothing else the squabling would be interesting.

Delphinus
11-30-2004, 02:27 AM
At the moment I feel like throwing the anemone into the freezer, or burying it.

It's the closest thing to an inanimate object, so it's illogical to hold it in ill will.

But the amount of grief and heartache it has cause me and my family just makes me really wonder what the hell I'm doing here.

AJ_77
11-30-2004, 02:34 AM
Sell it - it's probably worth $200...

(Maybe I'm not the one to ask though - recently "offed" my LTA... :rolleyes: )

LostMind
11-30-2004, 06:39 AM
I have to say, thats the most beautiful anemone I've seen.

ITS HUGE.

Can you set up a smaller, dedicated tank for it?

Ryan
11-30-2004, 02:47 PM
I know of a LFS here that would take it. He needs one for his display tank. I think the perc thing would work and it would look good. Get different colours though. Like regulars some pure black some yellow ones mix it up. JMO Nice anemone.

wrassehole
12-06-2004, 01:15 AM
figure out how to bag it ship it to me, ill give you some serious coin for that badboy.

Cap'n
12-07-2004, 02:22 AM

Not sure if this would work with false percs but if you considered it Riverfront has a tank full of ocellaris fry that will be for sale this weekend , pretty cheap too.

just FYI

Quinn
12-08-2004, 10:14 PM
AI used to have a tank full of juvenile clowns, either A. percula or A. ocellaris, I think this would be worth considering.

If only I had a tank large enough for that anemone though... my roommates would be impressed.

Delphinus
12-08-2004, 10:27 PM
I am considering picking up a few juvy ocellaris. Big Al's has a batch in that hasn't quite sold out yet. I'll post pictures/results when I try it.