PDA

View Full Version : Advice for new fish

molybdenumman
11-29-2004, 03:00 PM
I will be setting up my new 90 gallon tank in the near future. I have a yellow tang, coral beauty, tomato clown, hippo tang (appears to be sick) and a clarkii clown. I have lots of soft corals and a few hard ones.

I am looking to add at least one, maybe two (larger) fish. Can anyone recommend some appropriate specimens based on my current environment? I was thinking something like a naso tang, but I am still quite open to ideas.

DanTheMan

danny zubot
11-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Your pretty brave having all of those fish together as it is! :mrgreen: I'm no tang expert but more than two tangs in a 90 gallon might be pushing it. What size is the tank they are in now? I would recomend a copper band butterly or other related species. :smile:

AJ_77
11-29-2004, 03:28 PM
A Naso might be a little cramped in there, especially as your 3rd Tang. If he feels the need to assert himself, he has 2 pair of those wicked scalpels and the size to back them up... I have one in a 6-ft tank and wonder how he's going to do in the long term. They can get pretty huge.

Your fish list actually looks pretty good now! :biggrin: I would concentrate on getting (and keeping) them all healthy and see how they do after a few months in the new setup.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-29-2004, 08:47 PM
An adult Naso gets huge. My friend Don has a 15" one in his 300g. It'll take over a month for a new tank to slowly adjust its bacterial culture & other parameters to safely handle the fish you already have.

Like the others stated, enjoy what you have for now & later, maybe add something med. size & peaceful, like a Sohal tang (JJ). These are fabulous fish - beautiful, lots of motion, hardy, but aggressive. If a Sohal is added, you'll have the added advantage of never having to add anymore fish into the tank since the Sohal would kill it anyways. :lol:

On the serious side, I just added a bonded pair of Bird Wrasse to my 100g, & love em. Awesome colours & patterns, swims right out front, neat shape & great eaters. However, I'm hoping to eventually upgrade to a +200g.