PDA

View Full Version : Where did everyone go?!

fatmanonthinice
04-25-2017, 10:34 PM
I've missed the sask reefing community...I've been out of reefing for awhile now but just getting back into it and saw that Saskreef.ca is basically shutdown. I came here expecting to see some local activity and surprised to see very little...where did you all go?! :cry:

whatcaneyedo
04-25-2017, 10:53 PM
They probably migrated to a Facebook Group. There are several for a variety of BC geographic areas, I suspect your province may have done the same.

Myka
04-26-2017, 01:56 AM
There are several members from SK that are on Canreef that are fairly active.

SaskReef died after Darren shut down the old one, built a new one, and didn't transfer any of the old information. All the old threads and posts are gone. I for one won't bother posting anything more on that site if it's just going to disappear.

There is a Facebook group called Saskatchewan Saltwater Aquarium Enthusiasts. You should be able to find it.

fatmanonthinice
04-26-2017, 05:44 PM
whelp...that sucks...I loved going on there and reading old posts..

I'll look for the Facebook group, but I've always felt like Facebook groups aren't the best compared to a forum. Too bad really...

Myka
04-26-2017, 11:26 PM
whelp...that sucks...I loved going on there and reading old posts..

I'll look for the Facebook group, but I've always felt like Facebook groups aren't the best compared to a forum. Too bad really...
Yeah I don't like Facebook groups either. Info is always buried. It's the way of the world now though. :(

ReefMadness
04-27-2017, 12:21 AM
Yeah I don't like Facebook groups either. Info is always buried. It's the way of the world now though. :(
isn't that the truth.
seems a little ironic that the ability to get information has never been easier yet it's so riddled with anecdotal advice that i'd gladly take a book any day of the week over the www.
none the less, i still appreciate the great in-person advice on how and why i should ditch the frag plugs i buy the corals on and how to properly dip ;)

DKoKoMan
04-27-2017, 12:22 AM
Canreef is the new home :mrgreen:

Cazoom
04-27-2017, 12:36 AM
seems the sask facebook pages are 3 different pages as no one gets along ..
a Regina one a stoon one and one run out of brandon or Wpg as well..
i come on here for info way less clicky..

Thetjs
05-07-2017, 02:03 PM
I don't have Facebook.

I come here.

WarDog
05-07-2017, 06:04 PM
Canreef is going to be amazing, once we get the long awaited upgrade.

corallivore
05-16-2017, 06:02 PM
I don't have Facebook.

I come here.

Same here.

But I keep hearing from people how much better this kind of this is on social media.

It seems like most of the boards I belong to dedicated to any particular hobby are dying out.

Younger people especially don't want to bother with a new profile or site when it's all there for them on something they're already heavily involved in.

That's why most users ever on Canreef was over 12,000 in 2013 and right now, less than 400.

I'll be sad to see the day when Canreef is no more but it seems inevitable.

Esquire805
05-16-2017, 06:55 PM
hello everyone i am new here it seems like no one is around

Reefrandybar94
05-17-2017, 05:49 PM
Check out Facebook, there is a group called Saskatchewan saltwater aquarium enthusiasts and it is just BOOMING with action, frags, info, pics all that jazz. Very good group of people aswell!

iceman86
05-22-2017, 04:57 AM
I'm on a Facebook group as well, but all I find it good for is buying and selling stuff. I love canreef, it's a great place to learn this hobby and the knowledge on here is endless.

On facebook i constantly see terrible info being thrown around and people bickering with each other which i find very childish. I've gotten to the point that I don't even bother helping people on there for these reasons. Whenever I've asked on canreef about an issue I'm having with my tank, everyone comes together as a team to help me solve it. There also isn't much info that you cant find on canreef if you search the archives.

I've been around for about 5 years and though i might not always post, i still check canreef on a nightly basis to learn more about this hobby and i always direct new hobbyists to canreef to learn the hobby which is something you can't do on Facebook.

Stay strong canreef :peace:

Myka
05-22-2017, 11:37 PM
Thanks for your support iceman! :D

Thetjs
05-30-2017, 05:33 AM
I tried signing up for the Saskatchewan saltwater aquarium enthusiasts. I made myself a Facebook account, tried joining. And now I don't see it when I search for it anymore. I wonder if they banned me because my Facebook account has no pictures or info about me.

This is frustrating. I have no idea who to contact, or even the slightest clue how to use Facebook for that matter.

Myka
05-31-2017, 02:34 AM
I tried signing up for the Saskatchewan saltwater aquarium enthusiasts. I made myself a Facebook account, tried joining. And now I don't see it when I search for it anymore. I wonder if they banned me because my Facebook account has no pictures or info about me.

This is frustrating. I have no idea who to contact, or even the slightest clue how to use Facebook for that matter.
Send me a PM with the name you're using on Facebook and I'll find you and sort it out for you.