PDA

View Full Version : More observations

Aquattro
11-28-2004, 07:32 PM
So, due to all the muckin' around in my tank, it's no surprise tht the corals are a bit stressed. I recently lost a largish table. I had some tissue loss on it, so I cut the whole thing up into frags and placed them in various locations in the tank. They were all fine for a few days, but them as if on queue, they all RTN'ed at the same time, regardless of location.
I'm just watching my last frag of blue milli do the same thing. I had 3 frags of it, and all within a 24hr period have sloughed tissue. The last piece will be gone by the end of the day, I'm sure.

It appears that when it's time, it's time. Certain things appear to trigger death or RTN to all pieces of a colony, regardless of being attached to the same colony or in frags. Pieces beside these are doing fine.

I also noticed this when my chiller blew a fuse while I was away. All my frags and the mother colony of one species only were completely dead upon my return.

Just food for thought....

StirCrazy
11-28-2004, 08:01 PM
I am home all day if you think moving some frags might save something.

Steve

Aquattro
11-28-2004, 09:00 PM
I am home all day if you think moving some frags might save something.

Steve

Nope, anything that feels like dying can die. I'm not playing around with them anymore, so whatever I lose, I'll work on replacing next year.

I just found it interesting how there seems to be a genetic trigger that causes the parts of the same colony to slough at the same time, reagrdless of attachment or proximity to the other parts.

StirCrazy
11-28-2004, 09:20 PM
I just found it interesting how there seems to be a genetic trigger that causes the parts of the same colony to slough at the same time, reagrdless of attachment or proximity to the other parts.

Could it be that the damage was already done and since it was the same chunk before you split it that it just started showing the symptoms at the same time because it was at the same weekend (or what ever) state?

Steve

Aquattro
11-28-2004, 11:18 PM
nope, the milli chunks have all been stable for over a month. The table frags were all ok for a week or so, then poof!! all the tissue sloughed within 12 hours.

StirCrazy
11-28-2004, 11:55 PM
nope, the milli chunks have all been stable for over a month. The table frags were all ok for a week or so, then poof!! all the tissue sloughed within 12 hours.

oh ok, I thought you ment they started going shortly after you fraged it.

Steve