PDA

View Full Version : A New Begining

StirCrazy
11-27-2004, 09:42 PM
well now that amonia is gone and the cycle is complete I have added 3 frags to the tank.

http://members.shaw.ca/crystalk/newbegining/27nov04/blueacro.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/crystalk/newbegining/27nov04/greenacro.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/crystalk/newbegining/27nov04/pinkmilli.jpg

Steve

Samw
11-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Sweet Bali frags. I'd like to get a few as soon as my system can sustain Acros.

Jaws
11-27-2004, 10:48 PM
Are those from Safari Steve?

StirCrazy
11-27-2004, 11:33 PM
Are those from Safari Steve?

yup

Jaws
11-28-2004, 12:25 AM
Not a bad selection eh. Glad to see them finally jumping on the hard coral bandwagon. It will be a welcomed addition.

StirCrazy
11-28-2004, 01:49 AM
Not a bad selection eh. Glad to see them finally jumping on the hard coral bandwagon. It will be a welcomed addition.

you been asleep???? they ARE THE Hard coral bandwagon in Victoria for over a year now, .. no one else is bringing anything in that is worth anything.

Steve

Aquattro
11-28-2004, 05:21 AM
Actually, I think Safari is the only store bringing in SPS, period. Hillside stopped over a year ago as she didn't sell them quick enough and the tank they were in wsn't ideal for the corals.

Manny
11-28-2004, 06:04 AM
Creatures has some softies and a few LPS's, i was talking to the guy down there (can't remember his name right now) and he said as soon as their metal halides show up they are going to stock SPS's as well. they are matching J&L's prices on everything they have right now, maybe we will see some real compotition here in vic. soon.

Jaws
11-28-2004, 07:58 AM
I know safari does have a selection of hard corals but not very many acros, or at least not since I've been going there.

Aquattro
11-28-2004, 08:30 AM
The problem is the lack of consumers over here willing to purchase acros. There are still 3 pieces there that came in months ago. One of them would be a really nice purple colony, but still nobody wants to spend the bucks. It then makes it tough to justify ordering a couple of boxes of acros when Steve and I are the only ones buying them. :razz:

Hidden Reef in Abbottsford brought in 90 colonies, and I'm sure Mike will sell them all. Over here, 18 came in, and they could end up sitting there for months.

Perhaps what some people should do is get together and buy a few pieces, and split them up. That way you get more variety without spending a ton of money. If we keep buying them, they will keep bringing them in.

StirCrazy
11-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Creatures has some softies and a few LPS's, i was talking to the guy down there (can't remember his name right now) and he said as soon as their metal halides show up they are going to stock SPS's as well. they are matching J&L's prices on everything they have right now, maybe we will see some real compotition here in vic. soon.

theres a scary thought, Creatures back into salt water.... :rolleyes:

Steve

Canadian
12-01-2004, 11:57 PM
Just checking out the status of the hobby for the first time in a while and I ran into this thread.

Having worked at several of the stores that have tried to wade into the reefkeeping side of saltwater sales in Victoria I'll fill you guys in on some things that probably aren't so secret:

Creatures has been discussing setting up some "serious" reef stuff with SPS and halides for YEARS. The problem is that they aren't willing to fork out the money to properly set up a system nor do they want to spend the money necessary to maintain an appropriate system (the cost of supplements or equipment such as Ca Reactors and protein skimmers). So in the event that they do foray into this side of the hobby it will be short lived because things will crash in short order because who ever is maintaining the tanks will have their hands tied.

Ken and Pat have also been talking about setting something up to compete with J&L for years as well - good luck!

I wandered into Safari the other day for the first time in a couple of years (didn't even realize they had moved the store). I was impressed by the change. That old system that originated at Mega Pets was a horror show and the makeshift reef tanks I was asked to set up about 6 or 7 years ago were another lesson in futility in trying to set up a reef system for retail sales on what amounted to a budget sufficient for a Hexafun tank. But the new MH, open tanks, and more retail-appropriate set up are nice to see. I still think LFSs should avoid the temptation to set up their coral housing tanks to look like show tanks and just go the J&L route for ease of maintenance - it's inevitable that a customer with more money than brains will want to rape the tank of all the LR because they "want that stuff" and the owner will acquiesce because it'll amount to a nice little sale.

Nevertheless, it's good to see so many new hobbyists from Victoria popping up and at least one store that's making a concerted effort to do things properly.

Brad, post some new pics of your tank(s) in this forum - I'd love to see the progression.