PDA

View Full Version : QT in garage

Tracey2
04-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Does anyone here in Canada set up their QT system in the garage for the summer?

I have mine in the basement but I would prefer the garage. I realize I may need a chiller but is there any other reason not to do this?

Animal-Chin
04-05-2017, 08:18 PM
You could hit it with your car?

Tracey2
04-05-2017, 08:22 PM
Ha Ha, I forgot to mention I am female, therefore one of the good drivers.

tang daddy
04-05-2017, 10:43 PM
How hot does your garage get in the summer, are we talking about fish or coral qt?

hillegom
04-05-2017, 11:00 PM
Ha Ha, I forgot to mention I am female, therefore one of the good drivers.

lol

I have a tank in the garage. When it gets hot in the summer, I leave part of the top off. This allows the water to evaporate faster and therefore keeps the water cooler. You could always add a fan which would expedite the cooling

Tracey2
04-05-2017, 11:57 PM
Our garage is not closed up tight so I don't think it gets too hot but its old and I am concerned about critters, we live on a farm and sometimes get racoons etc. I would have to make sure I used proper lids.

Hillgome, do you shut the garage tank down in the winter or do you have a nice heated garage.

Galizio
04-06-2017, 12:34 AM
Garages are always tricky places, hot in summer cold in winter....
All depends mostly on the weather conditions where you live, may need a chiller in summer and an heater for your garage in the winter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hillegom
04-06-2017, 01:55 AM
My garage is not heated. There is not any insulation in it's walls. But it is tight and no critters can enter.
I have styrofoam around 3 sides of the tank on the outside.
You have to remember though, I live close to Vancouver, where we seldom have to shovel the rain.
Except of course last winter.

Tracey2
04-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Thanks for your help. I am in Ontario where we get lots of snow but I think I might try this for the summer. Great idea with the styrofoam.