PDA

View Full Version : 30 Gallon reef cube build 100% DIY

Tigweldpro
03-29-2017, 09:19 PM
Hello, I'm new here. I am currently building a 30 gallon cube reef tank with 15 gallon sump.

All I currently have is a stack of cut glass(free) 3/8" sides 1/2" bottom
I have been looking all over for 3/4" pvc slip x slip bulkhead fittings in Calgary and cannot find anywhere. Anyone know where these can be found?

Plans are 19" cube tank, 3/4" bean animal overflow box, 15 gallon sump, Sicce 2.0 return pump, SCA 301 skimmer, Purple dry rock, dry sand, Lighting LED TBD....

Any advice or help would be awesome:biggrin:

dino
03-30-2017, 02:24 AM
J&l

Tigweldpro
03-30-2017, 09:16 PM

Glass overflow done cutting. now comes the silicone SCS1200 black.....

Tigweldpro
03-31-2017, 05:41 PM

Tank assembled, 24hrs then seal inside with a fat bead....
Gonna be a nice tank!

Tigweldpro
04-01-2017, 10:22 PM
So my tank is built and looks great.
Working on the stand currently 32 x 24, 29" tall.

-Now yes or no for egg crate in the bottom of the tank?
-I went with the Sicce 1.5 instead of 2.0 will the flow from this pump be enough or should I be adding power heads?
-1 or 2 bubble traps in the sump? haven't added baffles yet but have lots of glass.
-1" of sand is good enough in tank?
-Sand, rock, rubble, bare bottom in refuge?

Little help would be nice from the senior reefers.....

Thanks

Frogger
04-01-2017, 10:31 PM
Why do you want egg crate in bottom of tank?

Tigweldpro
04-01-2017, 10:37 PM
Why do you want egg crate in bottom of tank?

I don't...... or do I? are there benefits/disadvantages?

Frogger
04-01-2017, 11:25 PM
Not sure what the benefits are.

We used to put egg crate at the bottom of the tank to create an airspace and have gravel on top, ie: undergravel filter, or to create an anaerobic space in the case of a plenum. But there are way better methods of filtration and nitrogen reducing methods than these. I am not sure what other uses there are. Maybe supporting your rock.

The question you may want to ask is if you want a bare bottom or coral sand or gravel. I prefer a thin layer of coral sand or gravel.

Tyfighter
04-02-2017, 05:50 AM
I used to put egg crate on the bottom of my Africans cichlid tanks which was pretty common practise back then. The idea was the the rocks would sit on the egg crate instead of just on the sand or totally buried and sitting on the glass. It also provided a stable base since the cichlids really liked to dig in the sand which could cause the rocks to move/collapse.
As long as your rock structures are stable I wouldn't really worry about adding egg crate.

dino
04-02-2017, 04:09 PM
don't do any egg crate it will just be a pain. as far as sand in the tank that depends on what you want to keep but that's also debatable although some fish definitely enjoy the sand. my knew 120 will be BB.

Tigweldpro
04-02-2017, 04:44 PM
Ok, eggcrate is off the list I will just use a piece for a lid to keep the fish from jumping out.
Any other input on my other questions?

dino
04-02-2017, 05:07 PM
so I have three sections in my sump first one has my skimmer second is my fuge and third is the pump and ATO. 5 pieces of glass I think and no sand in the sump i believe most don't do that anymore. i would recommend other flow besides your return pump. if you go with sand one inch is what i would do

Tigweldpro
04-03-2017, 01:05 AM
Not sure if you have seen this vid as its quite old but holy $#!&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq08mk7zzb0

Tigweldpro
04-04-2017, 05:12 AM
Now I'm on the hunt for a good light... Any suggestions for best bang for your buck? id like sun up sun down programmability. 19" cube...

So my tank is built and looks great.
Working on the stand currently 32 x 24, 29" tall.

-Now yes or no for egg crate in the bottom of the tank?
-I went with the Sicce 1.5 instead of 2.0 will the flow from this pump be enough or should I be adding power heads?
-1 or 2 bubble traps in the sump? haven't added baffles yet but have lots of glass.
-1" of sand is good enough in tank?
-Sand, rock, rubble, bare bottom in refuge?

Little help would be nice from the senior reefers.....

Thanks

Frogger
04-04-2017, 05:28 AM
What do you want to keep in your tank and whats' your budget

Tigweldpro
04-04-2017, 05:51 AM
I don't know what I want to keep..... I'm hoping to start with a clown fish pair, Yellow wrasse, pistol shrimp/goby. Like to add an anemone for the clowns once the tank has aged.
My budget is whatevers left from selling my cichlid/pleco/shrimp fry....

Been eyeing this on Ebay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dimmable-165W-LED-Aquarium-Light-Full-Spectrum-for-Grow-Coral-Reef-Fish-Tank-/182511132506?hash=item2a7e82df5a:g:nxMAAOSwSlBY31U N

tang daddy
04-04-2017, 04:09 PM
Now I'm on the hunt for a good light... Any suggestions for best bang for your buck? id like sun up sun down programmability. 19" cube...

Radion G4 pro!

tang daddy
04-04-2017, 04:11 PM
Ok, eggcrate is off the list I will just use a piece for a lid to keep the fish from jumping out.
Any other input on my other questions?

Instead of putting eggcrate on the top of your tank you can just buy the window kit from Rona and order some low profile mesh from brs, looks a lot more neater if that is the look you are trying to achieve.

Tigweldpro
04-04-2017, 04:17 PM
Radion G4 pro!

I wish I had that kind of cash! on the other hand I think those lights are this expensive because the high end companys hand out samples to the big name reefers for endorsement, I haven't come across anyone saying the Chinese lights are junk or had any problems with them.....

Tigweldpro
04-04-2017, 04:20 PM
Instead of putting eggcrate on the top of your tank you can just buy the window kit from Rona and order some low profile mesh from brs, looks a lot more neater if that is the look you are trying to achieve.

I should be able to silicone a few small strips of glass to the insides of my tank for the eggcrate to sit on. Then I will never have a problem with foggy/etched glass. But hey I have no clue what I'm doing! just reading as much as possible and not rushing the process

philg3
04-04-2017, 05:46 PM
Don't bother Silicone glass to the inside, just use these guys:

https://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Innovative-Marine-AUQA-Gadget-DIY-Mesh-Screen-Lid-Clips-choose-size.html

Easily removable for when you're cleaning up for the FTS. Those should work for egg crate if you don't feel like making a screen kit.

Galizio
04-05-2017, 03:09 AM
Have to agree with tangdaddy about the bug screen kit for the windows, is pretty simple to put together and just use some mesh you can get from brs, or some other local reefer that have extra to sell, the egg crate is too bulky and also don't let the light penetrate...
I would not suggest a glass top either, gets foggy all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigweldpro
04-05-2017, 03:23 AM
Have to agree with tangdaddy about the bug screen kit for the windows, is pretty simple to put together and just use some mesh you can get from brs, or some other local reefer that have extra to sell, the egg crate is too bulky and also don't let the light penetrate...
I would not suggest a glass top either, gets foggy all the time

The problem is the cat! She thinks she can sit on mesh until.......poof Catfish! My freshwater tanks are all open top but I don't keep any jumpers.....

ill throw 2 small pcs of glass on the inside of the tank to rest egg crate on and see how it goes, easy to remove if I go a different route.

Ill be painting and plumbing my tank/stand tomorrow. try and get a few pix.

Thx for the reply

Tigweldpro
04-06-2017, 10:20 PM
My Sicce 1.5 pump showed up today.......

I threw it an a half bucket of water and plugged it in, I don't think this pump is going to have the flow I need.....

3/4" pvc 1 90*, 1' horizontal, 1' vertical, y splitter, 2x 1.5' vertical.....
tank is 26.5G used volume. sump is 10G used volume
I think ill be around 175GPH. I'm thinking 200GPH should be the absolute minimum for this setup.....5x volume would be 182.5GPH

dammit dammit dammit :crazyeye:

Tigweldpro
04-15-2017, 05:59 PM
The only thing holding me up on my tank build is 2x 3/4 bulkhead fittings slip x thread,(thread on flange or inside) im in edmonton for the weekend, anyone have some or know where would?

Tigweldpro
04-24-2017, 05:44 AM
Filled up the new system for the first time just RO so far. Salt tomorrow

Sump plumbing pic

not sure why the pics were rotated....

Tigweldpro
05-04-2017, 02:38 AM
So this is after week 1 with 5ppm Ammonia from 1 shrimp in tank. Still playing with the skimmer. My biggest question is if I only want to keep fish and a few soft coral do I need to test and dose Alk/Cal/Mag....? All I have done is add 1/2cup regular IA salt to RO water I haven't even tested salinity as I'm still waiting for the pkg in mail.

Craigdillman
05-05-2017, 12:34 AM
careful with the tank like that the water might pour out after a while

Tigweldpro
05-09-2017, 06:32 AM
So its been 3 weeks and have had 0 ammonia 0 nitrite for 3 days nitrate is just starting to show. I got my first fish today! It is a sailfin/lawnmower Blenny is it ever cool! also added 1 turbo, 2 astria snails & 2 red hermits. The blenny has already started work on my insane green algae problem. They don't call him a lawnmower for nothin.

ill get some pix up soon