PDA

View Full Version : More Flow Or No?

ReefMadness
03-15-2017, 11:16 PM
in my sps + zoa dominant 120 standard i've been running a gyre 150 for the past year. my impressions are the same as everyone else's i've been reading about, the gyre moves tons of water but is limited as far as creating chaotic flow with the single gyre and old controller.
to fix this i'm considering adding a xf250 gyre and the new controller but i'm not seeing it as a very common set up on people systems.
any reason i should hold off and do something else?

Wheelman76
03-15-2017, 11:30 PM
It's awesome !!!! Love the new controller, you can set up all sorts of flow patterns.

ReefMadness
03-15-2017, 11:54 PM
It's awesome !!!! Love the new controller, you can set up all sorts of flow patterns.
the lunar tidal mode has me interested for sure.

gmann
03-16-2017, 12:41 AM
No, go buy it!

Myka
03-16-2017, 03:41 AM
As long as the noise doesn't bother you or its set up in an area where the noise isn't heard then yeah the new controller is much better. I still prefer traditional-style powerheads though for the flow patterns. I don't like te "mono flow" you get from a Gyre in a smaller tank, like my 36" tank.

ReefMadness
03-16-2017, 12:13 PM
As long as the noise doesn't bother you or its set up in an area where the noise isn't heard then yeah the new controller is much better. I still prefer traditional-style powerheads though for the flow patterns. I don't like te "mono flow" you get from a Gyre in a smaller tank, like my 36" tank.
the noise seems to really show up once you get the gyres up around 60% of full output and i agree, they send more or less a sheet of water that will require some tinkering to achieve the no dead spot goal.

dcw1sfu
03-16-2017, 02:27 PM
I just added a couple rw-8s set up to my apex for randomness in conjunction with my gyre.

Is the new gyre with controller basically the same powerbeats as the old one with an advanced controller? Would the old gyre hooked up to the ice cap apex controller module achieve the same as the new generation?

kengeroo
03-16-2017, 03:04 PM
I have the 150 with the ice cap controller + netptune apex,, running 3 profiles, running a medium pulse profile,,, and 2 other profles that kick in for about 40 seconds each 6-7 minutes,, a storm (strong pulse) and OFF...

and a MP10 at the other end running random modes,,

I get a variety of flow patterns left and right throughout the day..

Myka
03-16-2017, 03:07 PM
I just added a couple rw-8s set up to my apex for randomness in conjunction with my gyre.

Is the new gyre with controller basically the same powerbeats as the old one with an advanced controller? Would the old gyre hooked up to the ice cap apex controller module achieve the same as the new generation?

The new Gyre isn't anything new, just the controller is new/different. The only real difference is that there are "modes" in the new controller now - similar to those in the Vortechs if you're familiar? Also, now if you can hook up two Gyres to the same controller so that they work in conjunction with each other. Not sure about how it would work with the Apex.

ReefMadness
03-16-2017, 04:21 PM
The new Gyre isn't anything new, just the controller is new/different. The only real difference is that there are "modes" in the new controller now - similar to those in the Vortechs if you're familiar? Also, now if you can hook up two Gyres to the same controller so that they work in conjunction with each other. Not sure about how it would work with the Apex.
the things you mentioned are all the reasons i was hoping it would work lol.

ReefMadness
03-17-2017, 03:32 AM
well i bought a second one and have to say it is definitely an improvement when 2 gyres are on the same program... now to see if my corals feel the same way :)

Bblinks
03-17-2017, 10:38 PM
well i bought a second one and have to say it is definitely an improvement when 2 gyres are on the same program... now to see if my corals feel the same way :)

You won't regret it.