PDA

View Full Version : Spectacular yet not reef safe

Willito
11-26-2004, 03:38 AM
What a magnificant little blenny! So I thought, and place a deposite down on it. Only to now find out that it's stable diet consists of small polyps. What a bummer, I don't think there is a better looking little blenny l
than this one. Nice blennies are hard to come by and just when I thought I scored an awesome one, it's not reef safe.

Here a picture to drool on.
http://members.shaw.ca/kymq/Reef/ebrevis2.jpg

Delphinus
11-26-2004, 05:00 AM
Where from?

Hehe I could use something that munches on certain polyps.

That truly is spectacular. What is the species ID?

I miss my scarface blenny ... :cry: Cirripectes variolosus (http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/PicturesSummary.cfm?ID=4404&what=species) I've never seen another one like him come through to the LFS's.

albert_dao
11-26-2004, 05:04 AM
Holy crap Will! That's pretty sweet!

Want to get rid of it? haha

Willito
11-26-2004, 05:31 AM
It's a Leopard Blenny, Exallias brevis.

I found him at Wai's. Looks identical to the one in the picture. Maybe it wasn't so little now I think about it. He was about 4" long and 1.25" high, A thick looking fella. Oh how sweet it would of been.

Delphinus
11-26-2004, 05:42 AM
Dang, and I was just there today. But he had only started floating the bags and I couldn't see into them. Next time ... :lol:

Willito
11-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Tony, if you want him, it's yours. Or else Albert is next in line.

Delphinus
11-26-2004, 07:31 PM
I thought about it, but from what I'm reading, "obligate SPS feeder." Unfortunately that "obligate" part makes it a tough candidate. If it eats nothing else, ...... I question if I could keep it alive long-term. I'm not sure I could grow SPS fast enough to feed the fish (although the idea certainly is tempting, I wonder if you could feed them M. digitata trimmings that nobody seems to want anymore).. :confused: But I bet you'd need a very large and very fast growing supply.

I was kind of hoping by "polyp muncher" it meant I had found someone who could trim my burgeoning mushrooms and button polyps. Oh well.

Willito
11-26-2004, 07:41 PM
M. digitata control sounds like a good idea. I am sure with the growth rate of that coral, feeding this guy shouldn't be a problem. :popcorn: IMO with any fish, I am confident that they can develope a tast for Nori.
I wouldn't risk my SPS though.[/quote]