PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP WITH BK MINI 180

Galizio
02-25-2017, 04:07 PM
So I purchase this bk mini 180 off a forum member. The skimmer work great and pulling a lot of gunk. So I got the skimmer, first few hours didn't skim because was just cleaned, after a few hours start pulling a lot of poop so no issue there. Woke up the next morning to a loud vibrations noise from the skimmer, so I turned the skimmer off, then back on and the noise was gone, after a few hs noise is back on. I did this 3 times and 3 times same thing.
So last evening I pull the cup out, rinsed and the noise was gone, overnight fine , then that humming noise again... anyone have an idea? I'm thinking maybe the way the power cord sits underneath the skimmer(maybe)have to say the noise is a bit less than yesterday and there is lots of room around the skimmer so nothing is touching..
if anyone have a clue before I take the all unit apart which is probably the best thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Galizio
02-25-2017, 04:13 PM
Unfortunately not able to post a video

hunggi74
02-25-2017, 05:29 PM
I'm no BK expert, but I'd wager it needs a new impeller which are very hard to source especially if it's a gen 1 or2. They are notorious for being problematic. Either the motor block craps out or the impeller does. I had to put a Laguna pump in mine but the impeller seems fine. I'm sure others will have more experienced advice for you. If you do find a place to source an impeller, I'd like a spare one too just in case. BBlinks works on BKs at great hourly rates Lol

Galizio
02-25-2017, 05:53 PM
Hope is not the impeller, the motor block just got replaced so is brand new... I was planning to gather some red dragon stuff when in Europe this summer..
I may have to take it apart and see what's going on , maybe is just a loose screw or something if is the impeller that's a bummer.
Going to take on the bblink hourly rate lol

Galizio
02-25-2017, 05:54 PM
By the way is a gen 2

Wheelman76
02-25-2017, 07:02 PM
More than likely the impeller , there's also a chance there is a small snail inside against the impeller. I've had that happen to me , the second time it happened it cooked the impeller unfortunately. Now I cover the intake of my skimmer pump with the clear netting used for making screen tops.

Galizio
02-25-2017, 07:06 PM
More than likely the impeller , there's also a chance there is a small snail inside against the impeller. I've had that happen to me , the second time it happened it cooked the impeller unfortunately. Now I cover the intake of my skimmer pump with the clear netting used for making screen tops.

The snails appended to me a lot before on the alpha, is probably what it is, just been lazy to open the skimmer, actually I'm going to do it now... thanks for the tip, have some extra mesh I'm going to use...

Galizio
02-25-2017, 07:35 PM
Well, impeller looks clean, no snails or anything, put everything together, install mesh on the pump intake(thanks Jess, used 1/8 mesh, is it good enough?)...
Skimmer is working fine and quiet, let see what happens in a few hours.
Just wondering, the motor block got replace with a Laguna , but the wire is pretty thick, so maybe the skimmer is not sitting flat on the sump and may cause the noise, I may have to use some eggcrate to raise 1" or so...

DKoKoMan
02-25-2017, 08:42 PM
If you think it's related to vibration from the base, try using a silicone trivet underneath the skimmer.

Galizio
02-25-2017, 11:10 PM
If you think it's related to vibration from the base, try using a silicone trivet underneath the skimmer.

Not really sure if that's the problem yet, but if it is I would give the silicone trivet a try...
I'm just hoping is nothing serious, seems fine for now, so I'm positive...

Scythanith
02-26-2017, 12:32 PM
There is the Royal Exclusiv shop in the states now as well. Parts aren't as hard to come by as they once were. Still just as $$$ though.

Galizio
02-26-2017, 08:26 PM
There is the Royal Exclusiv shop in the states now as well. Parts aren't as hard to come by as they once were. Still just as $$$ though.

Thanks for the info

So after 24 h from dissemble and putting the skimmer together the noise is gone, for now so hopefully stay this way, maybe was something loose or something stuck inside the pump/impeller.
Got me worried cause looked good but sounded like a chopper lol
Definitely going to look for impeller or maybe a all pump for back up...
Thanks everyone :-)