PDA

View Full Version : Maroon Clown dominance behavior (vid)

albert_dao
11-25-2004, 04:57 AM
Ha! Ha! After half an hour of sitting in front of my tank with a camera, I finally got a good long piece of it.

This is a video. On it, you're gonna see a bit of behavior described in literature: the female will dash at the male and the male will arc his body towards the female, sometimes shaking his head. After this, the male will "kiss" the spine of the female and everyone is cool.

I'm assuming this dominance behavior is to both reestablish pair bonding and keep the male from changing sex.

Anyway, without further ado...

Vid. (http://www.cichlids.ca/images/Misc/Maroons2.WMV)

Oh, those are a pair of Gold Stripes btw.[/url]

Delphinus
11-25-2004, 05:13 AM
Moved to the picture forum ... :mrgreen:

PS. Great video. :cool: Is that a tassled filefish in the background?

albert_dao
11-25-2004, 05:17 AM
Yup , there's three of them in my tank. :biggrin:

I've been sitting here in front of my tank trying to capture this odd behavior that they are pulling.

Occassionally, you'll see one of them jetting water into the rocks with its mouth for 10 seconds or so trying to uncover food. I've never read about them doing this in literature (then again, I haven't found very much literature on them, go figure), though I've seen triggers do it on TV.

danny zubot
11-25-2004, 08:04 PM
Cool Vid Albert, is that your home tank or at work?

albert_dao
11-25-2004, 09:38 PM
That's from my house. I have seven different species of clownfish, all in pairs, but these are the only ones in a tank that I'm not embarrassed to take pictures of... Hahah

G1GY
11-26-2004, 07:06 AM
That's a cool vid Albert. I realy like those particular clowns. I'm starting my search for a pair right now. :smile: Thanks for posting that.