PDA

View Full Version : Best Salt on the market

ReganY
02-17-2017, 07:44 PM
Hey everyone, As the title says just wondering what everyone is using for their salt and how the results are.

I'm currently using Aquavitro Salinity. I like it so far minus the fact that magnesium is on the low side. Another plus is the bucket is nice a tall.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Dearth
02-17-2017, 10:36 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89864

iamfrontosa
02-18-2017, 07:39 AM
Hey everyone, As the title says just wondering what everyone is using for their salt and how the results are.

I'm currently using Aquavitro Salinity. I like it so far minus the fact that magnesium is on the low side. Another plus is the bucket is nice a tall.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I think I have used every brands of salts ever sold in Calgary.
So far, I like Reefer's Best and Aquaforest reef.

What I am using now for water change is 30% Reefer's Best and 70% Aquaforest reef mix.

Best salt on the market is actually the one closest matched to your water parameters.

DKoKoMan
02-18-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm using Reef Crystals as I like the higher Alk / Cal. :mrgreen:

Franco
02-18-2017, 06:02 PM
Reef cristal for me but i tink im going to change because its be comming rare, aquarorest is in for now

FishyFishy!
02-18-2017, 10:11 PM
I must say....since switching to aquaforest my colors have been much much nicer. And its priced awesome at wai's.

Zoaelite
02-19-2017, 12:26 AM
Reef Crystals work just fine in an LPS/ Softie tank.

If I was ever to swap back to SPS I would probably move over to Aquaforest, Myka has some unreal results with the stuff.
Levi

DKoKoMan
02-19-2017, 07:13 AM
I would like to try Aquaforest for all the extra trace elements. I'm just not sure what the upkeep for Alk / Cal for the higher levels.

ashr
02-19-2017, 05:19 PM
I am really interested in Aquaforest products but some of it seems a little more advanced than I would want to go. I have heard great things about their Reef Salt. If I wanna just switch this salt.. Is there anything else I would need to also add in?

Myka
02-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Imo, Aquaforest salt mixes should only be used on tanks that either have a calcium reactor or doser. Same with any other salt brand that is formulated to emulate natural seawater.

If you rely on water changes to provide calcium and alkalinity you should choose a salt mix with elevated calcium and alkalinity.

Aquaforest and other salt mixes with natural seawater parameters will NOT "bump up" calcium and alkalinity the way a salt mix like Reef Crystals will.

ReefMadness
02-19-2017, 06:31 PM
Imo, Aquaforest salt mixes should only be used on tanks that either have a calcium reactor or doser. Same with any other salt brand that is formulated to emulate natural seawater.

If you rely on water changes to provide calcium and alkalinity you should choose a salt mix with elevated calcium and alkalinity.

Aquaforest and other salt mixes with natural seawater parameters will NOT "bump up" calcium and alkalinity the way a salt mix like Reef Crystals will.
what's interesting is i've switched everything over from tropic marin a,b & c to aquaforrest's balling method and it has had me steadily dosing less. also... my cal, kH and mag are all holding a little higher than i'd like despite the doses getting smaller.
i think i'm going to relax my water change schedule from weekly to every other week to see if i can tune things a bit better.

Myka
02-20-2017, 01:03 PM
what's interesting is i've switched everything over from tropic marin a,b & c to aquaforrest's balling method and it has had me steadily dosing less. also... my cal, kH and mag are all holding a little higher than i'd like despite the doses getting smaller.
i think i'm going to relax my water change schedule from weekly to every other week to see if i can tune things a bit better.

Is your mix the same strength? Maybe growth slowed down for some reason?

Aqua-Digital
02-20-2017, 01:10 PM
Been in this industry for over 25 years in 2 continents, I have seen so many salts come and go, but no matter what the majority always switch back to either instant ocean if they dose minerals separate or Reef Crystals.

Its the mainstay of the industry, tried and tested and proved for years. Its affordable and it works, you know what you will get every time.

ReefMadness
02-20-2017, 08:19 PM
Is your mix the same strength? Maybe growth slowed down for some reason?
i followed the instructions for each product but i feel my shortcoming was not having a digital scale when i mixed my batches and converting the measurements to tablespoons. it's definitely not anywhere close to dangerously high but i'm very particular.
the other thing that didn't help was i bought all new test kits and i decided i would compare results side by side before discarding them only to find them vastly different. so off to bayside to have the water tested which confirmed the newer kits to be in line with their findings.
over the past 3 weeks i've progressively reduced doses from 100mL do to 15mL and will be testing again tonight to see if i'm getting close.
thank goodness my acros all look really great and no ill effects

Potatohead
02-20-2017, 09:18 PM
Been in this industry for over 25 years in 2 continents, I have seen so many salts come and go, but no matter what the majority always switch back to either instant ocean if they dose minerals separate or Reef Crystals.

Its the mainstay of the industry, tried and tested and proved for years. Its affordable and it works, you know what you will get every time.

So is a Corolla and a Corolla is booorrriiinnggggggggg :lol:

Myka
02-20-2017, 10:31 PM
over the past 3 weeks i've progressively reduced doses from 100mL do to 15mL

Hopefully that will allow it to drop down enough so you can figure out the daily dose.

gmann
02-20-2017, 10:44 PM
i currently use aq reef salt. Though I like it compared to IO, RC, salinity, kent, I do notice that I have had to start dosing more. that or I have a bad batch that isn mixing as it should?