PDA

View Full Version : Damn hagen test kits

StirCrazy
11-24-2004, 09:14 PM
Ok is there anyone who has a ammonia test kit other than hagen? I have tested the same water sample with 3 different hagen kits and got 3 different results. the one I bought yesterday shows almost 2.4 (I would guess about 2), the two we used at the pet store today showed 0 and 1.2

so for 3 different hagen kits I got 3 totally different results, hows that got quality control.

Steve

Buccaneer
11-24-2004, 09:17 PM
Just take a water sample into your local pet store and have them test it for you ( salifert or equivalent ) ... and then compare that to one of the 3 that you have that closest matches it.

StirCrazy
11-24-2004, 09:32 PM
Just take a water sample into your local pet store and have them test it for you ( salifert or equivalent ) ... and then compare that to one of the 3 that you have that closest matches it.

two of the tests were from the local pet store, and none of the local stores use salifert for there tests.

Steve

Samw
11-24-2004, 10:10 PM
Did you see them shake the reagents? They need a good shake before use. If they aren't experienced Hagen test kit users, they might not know that.

Aquattro
11-24-2004, 10:18 PM
Hagen kits suck.... :rolleyes:

StirCrazy
11-24-2004, 10:33 PM
If they aren't experienced Hagen test kit users, they might not know that.

I have used hagen on ly fresh water tanks for years with no problems it is just on the salt water that they are absolute garbage. Yes they shook them up good each time.

Steve

Pegasus
11-25-2004, 02:55 AM
Sorry Steve, I phoned the wife to see what I have and only have a Hagen. Vic has three stores that could test, did you check out the others?

Larry

Rikko
11-25-2004, 03:03 AM
Ecch, those Hagen tests are cheap for a reason. Never again!

IslandReefer
11-25-2004, 09:54 AM
Hey Steve,
:cool:
This one I can help out with!
I am quite (check ASAP when I get home) sure that I have a Salifert NH4 test kit....never had to use it.
If you like,I can bring it out to you today @ about 1500-1600, or you can drop by here any time and get it.
I'll PM the address etc.
Later

StirCrazy
11-25-2004, 12:45 PM
Hey Steve,
:cool:
This one I can help out with!
I am quite (check ASAP when I get home) sure that I have a Salifert NH4 test kit....never had to use it.
If you like,I can bring it out to you today @ about 1500-1600, or you can drop by here any time and get it.
I'll PM the address etc.
Later

not sure how long I am going to be working today yet.
I'll let you know befor then though.

Steve

OCDP
11-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Hello ! Man it's such a relief to be able to communicate with local reefers for once!

I am too using Hagen test kits... and I have been using them since I first setup my tank (august) .. and so far, I hate them... I get complete unreliable results everytime... the colors do not match up with the charts at all... and well, it's Hagen.. what am I to expect? I only bought them because I was a big noobie at the time... and didn't know better!

My question to all you Calgarian reefers is.. what test kits do you use? and where are you buying them?? Do we have any Salifert in Calgary? I just need something reasonably priced, and fairly reliable. If there is any Salifert out there, I will get them for sure... but if not, then something reasonable in price and a reliable test kit ... need to give my sister some Christmas gift ideas .... :razz:

Delphinus
11-26-2004, 07:57 PM
I MO'd mine. Postage is pretty inexpensive for smaller drygoods.

OCDP
11-26-2004, 08:11 PM
lol you lost me :redface:

Delphinus
11-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Sorry! MO = "mail-order". Places like www.jlaquatics.com, saltwaterconnection.com, mops.ca, and so on.

Canadian Man
11-26-2004, 09:20 PM
I use only hagen and I get them from Big als or online.

OCDP
11-26-2004, 09:59 PM
really? I just can't imagine that they would be very accurate? When I test my pH using the Hagen tester.. it comes out purple?! purple isnt on my color chart lol.. I just don't find them all that accurate and not that easy to read..

muck
11-26-2004, 10:05 PM
really? I just can't imagine that they would be very accurate? When I test my pH using the Hagen tester.. it comes out purple?! purple isnt on my color chart lol.. I just don't find them all that accurate and not that easy to read..

Are you using the correct kit? There are 3 different pH test kits by Hagen.
One for low pH, one for High pH and one that has a wide range.
Just a thought... :confused:

OCDP
11-26-2004, 10:54 PM
I use the high range.. from 7.8-8.6 or whatever... usually my pH has been steady at 8.2.. maybe its because i didnt shake the tester bottle..