PDA

View Full Version : 8ft tank, lighting ideas?

amberc12
02-13-2017, 05:08 PM
Hi all, Tank is 96x30x24, On my other tank I have t5s with reefbrite and I love it...but wont this new monster need 2-8 bulbers? Then reefbrites on top of that?... I dont know how I feel about changing 16 bulbs just on that tank every 6 mos...
Thanks!

rockworm
02-13-2017, 07:27 PM
Lighting is a tough decision on a large tank. I have a 96" x 36" x 27". I have 4 x 250w radiums plus 8 x 54w T5HO and Reefbrite blue. I already owned 3 mh when I upgraded from my 220g. This tank is devoted to SPS so strong lighting is a priority for me.

amberc12
02-13-2017, 07:41 PM
Nice, bet you that looks sweet!

rockworm
02-13-2017, 07:53 PM
Nice, bet you that looks sweet!

Not yet, but it is coming along. I just came through a few rough months and the tank is recovering. I have been procrastinating on starting a tank journal. Time to get off my butt and get it started. Soon.

amberc12
02-13-2017, 08:36 PM
Not yet, but it is coming along. I just came through a few rough months and the tank is recovering. I have been procrastinating on starting a tank journal. Time to get off my butt and get it started. Soon.

Glad to hear its recovering! Look forward to the journal!

MitchM
02-13-2017, 10:09 PM
I would recommend either MH or LED.
I have 2 ATI hybrids over my 96 x 48 x 30. Like you mentioned, changing 16 bulbs is not fun. Neither is changing ballasts.

I'll be going to LED after these ATI units.
I don't know which brand yet, I'll be looking at Radion, GHL or Kessil.

rockworm
02-13-2017, 11:30 PM
I am experimenting with LED over my 75g. I have 2 of the GHL Mitras 6200 LX for it. I have lps, ricordias and zoas in it for now. I plan to move some sps frags in to it and see how they do compared to my sps under mh. I am very impressed with the Mitras but have no experience with other led's for comparison.

I would recommend either MH or LED.
I have 2 ATI hybrids over my 96 x 48 x 30. Like you mentioned, changing 16 bulbs is not fun. Neither is changing ballasts.

I'll be going to LED after these ATI units.
I don't know which brand yet, I'll be looking at Radion, GHL or Kessil.

MitchM
02-13-2017, 11:53 PM
I've had 3 Mitras units for 4 years now - 2-6200's and 1-6100.
I haven't had a single hardware issue with them, the software was a challenge at first but GHL is improving how user friendly the software is.

Mike Paletta seems to like the Radions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5HJVxfWQ2c

SoloSK71
02-14-2017, 04:45 AM
A lot of newish research is showing that LEDs (at least newer generations) are more than adequate to grow and show any kind of corals. As mentioned above, a lot of the 'names' in reefing are making the switch and having great success.

Just remember that stability is the key to successful fishkeeping. Just because your LED lets you manipulate 1,500 variables does not mean you should.

That said, LED, MH, T5 will all grow coral.

For me, on a big tank, I did the math on fixtures and bulbs and after breathing into a paper bag for a while, 16 3' T5 bulbs (2 8 bulb fixtures) every 9 months was $480 every 9 months. The fixtures were $900 each. 3 LED fixtures was $3,000 and would last for around 10 years. Electricity was about the same. Even if LEDs were slightly less effective than T5's the cost savings were worth it in just over 18 months.

Charles

Myka
02-14-2017, 01:36 PM
If you're keeping both tanks, why don't you transfer the goodies from your current 4 ft tank into the 8 ft, keep the lighting reasonable for a mixed reef, and then use the smaller tank as dedicated SPS? SPS can be challenging and frustrating at times, so you might want to start smaller to see how you like it.

Even so, an ATI 8-bulb fixture is only 18" wide, and you're probably not going to get enough coverage/power if you're serious about SPS. For a mixed reef, the 8-bulb would be ok because you could raise it up a bit higher (sacrifice PAR to the corals), and you'd be able to get enough coverage out of it.

Fwiw, I change my T5s at 8-9 months, the actinic at 6 months. I change out two at a time so that there isn't a huge PAR jump.

amberc12
02-14-2017, 02:15 PM
Breathing in paper bag now...:lol: Thanks all. I would like to say I am closer to a decision, really just dont want to regret whatever decision in a year...

Ill probably get laughed at...but I noticed just the big name leds mentioned, someone mentioned to me they liked the ocean revive cheapies...anyone heard of them?

Reef Supplies
02-14-2017, 03:41 PM
We can light that with LED's for under $1500. Contact us https://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/help.php?section=contactus

Thanks!

Ace Storman
02-14-2017, 04:24 PM
I did some research in lighting once I decided to go the LED route.

Taking account that if you go the T5 HO route, take the initial cost of the fixture, you will have to replace 32 lamps (16 x 2) annually. Ballasts last only so long then you will probably have to replace some of them as well. Then there is power consumption. At BC Hydro's Tier 2 pricing TODAY at around 13 cents per KWH, do the math and factor that in as well. When you add this all up as annual cost....well it adds up quickly. Heat output on a multi bulb setup is also a consideration and you may or my not have to add a chiller to keep the tank at the appropriate temperature.

Now lets go the route of XR30w Gen4 Pro Radions (as I did). Yes, the initial cost is up there but there will be NO Lamp replacement, NO additional ballasts to worry about, they are as energy efficient as LED lights get these days and heat output is not an issue. The manufactures spec claims coverage is 32" x 32", but in reality, I would calculate coverage as 24 " x 24". So given that, I would look at 4, possibly 5 Radions for an 8 foot tank. With 8 channel of Led tuning per lamp, the light output is just about endless, sun up, sundown, moonlight, etc.

There a re group buy's to be had out there, you just have to go digging for them.

There is a saying out there, which in this case I firmly believe in. "You can pay me now, or pay me later, but you are going to pay me".

Hope my 2 cents helps in your decision...