PDA

View Full Version : questions on how to make MAG for dosing??

Amadod2
02-12-2017, 02:42 AM
Just wondering who makes their own Mag chemicals for their tanks? i know you can use epson salts, but what else would you need and where can you get all the supplies to do so?

Potatohead
02-12-2017, 04:14 AM
You can use epsom salt (mag sulfate) and/or magnesium chloride. It's best to use both with ratio of about 8:1 MC to MS if you want to get picky.

Chloride is a little tougher to find than epsom salt but you can get it from J&L or Amazon or something. Just about any dry magnesium supplement will be MC, or both in the above ratio.

Myka
02-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Just wondering who makes their own Mag chemicals for their tanks? i know you can use epson salts, but what else would you need and where can you get all the supplies to do so?

The appropriate measurements (usually done by volume because Mg absorbs water out of the air REALLY well) are:

For use with dosing pumps: Mg chloride 5 parts, Mg sulfate (epsom) 3 parts.

For use with calcium reactor: Mg chloride 8-8.5 parts, Mg sulfate 1 part.

Here is some more info: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Aquaforest sells bulk Mg chloride, Brightwell has a dry product too. Fauna Marin too. There are others. Epsom salt you can just buy medical grade from the pharmacy, just be sure there are no scents or essential oils added to it.

Amadod2
02-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Where could I get mg cloride locally in the Vancouver area? I noticed brs sells it online but I'm not sure if they ship it to Canada or if it's worth it

Potatohead
02-12-2017, 05:33 PM
Where could I get mg cloride locally in the Vancouver area? I noticed brs sells it online but I'm not sure if they ship it to Canada or if it's worth it

Already mentioned above.