PDA

View Full Version : Filling the tank for the first time

CandyCane
02-10-2017, 10:47 PM
Hey! Anybody have some sweet tricks on how to fill a tank plus a sump and get the perfect salt levels for the first time? Also any experience on getting the intake and return to flow awesomely at the same rate...I've had some troubles in the past with different flow rates

spit.fire
02-11-2017, 12:11 AM
Hey! Anybody have some sweet tricks on how to fill a tank plus a sump and get the perfect salt levels for the first time? Also any experience on getting the intake and return to flow awesomely at the same rate...I've had some troubles in the past with different flow rates

post some pics of your setup or more detailed information of you setup

CandyCane
02-11-2017, 12:32 AM
I'm writing in the tank journal forum but my pictures never work to post, they're just jpg, any ideas why?

spit.fire
02-11-2017, 12:52 AM
I'm writing in the tank journal forum but my pictures never work to post, they're just jpg, any ideas why?

try hosting them to a site like photobucket

SoloSK71
02-11-2017, 01:17 AM

The best way to fill your tank is slowly. Use a plate or over the rock and a 1/4" ID hose with a valve. Yes, it takes a lot of patience but you get a clean tank instead of waiting a couple of days for the cloudy water to clear up.

Follow the directions of the brand of salt you are using and mix the largest batch you can that is compatible with your tank size. Mix, heat and stir for anywhere from 4 to 12 hours then start filling.

If you have a built in overflow of any kind (herbie, beananimal, durso, etc.) as long as you do not close your drain valves too much, the flow will naturally regulate according to the return pump. Patience is the key. Start this early in the day and monitor it over time, depending on the size of your tank. Smaller tank, shorter time between checks.

Charles

WarDog
02-11-2017, 01:46 AM
Hey! Anybody have some sweet tricks on how to get the perfect salt levels for the first time?

Use a salinity refractometer. 😃