PDA

View Full Version : Carbon GFO reactor selection

Reef-Geek
02-08-2017, 05:45 PM
I've used TLF and BRS reactors for carbon and GFO and I don't like either of them, TLF is built cheaply and you have to tight it very hard for a good seal. BRS deluxe reactor is built like a tank but I hated the upside down idea, the sponges just cannot hold it's position all the time.
can anyone recommend something built to last and easy to replace media?

Bugger
02-08-2017, 05:46 PM
I use the mini max by innovative marine. There super easy to change the media.

FishyFishy!
02-09-2017, 01:12 AM
I use the Vertex RX-U 1.5L reactors. They are amazing. And the union ball valves are great at controlling flow.

That being said, the innovative marine reactors beat everything for changing media.

apexifd
02-09-2017, 01:37 AM
I use the Vertex RX-U 1.5L reactors. They are amazing. And the union ball valves are great at controlling flow.

That being said, the innovative marine reactors beat everything for changing media.

+1

gmann
02-09-2017, 02:08 AM
IM reactor all the way...

i believe king ed has them. if not, then RS has them too

Potatohead
02-09-2017, 03:54 AM
The new IM Minimax sump reactor looks pretty awesome.

DKoKoMan
02-09-2017, 04:43 AM
For the price point TLF reactors are a good bang for your buck. That being said I will eventually invest in the Vertex rx-u series.

Myka
02-09-2017, 01:43 PM
I agree that those BRS reactors that are really just RO filter housings are HORRIBLE for carbon and GFO. It boggles me that some people like them.

TLF is actually my favorite for GFO because it simple, reliable, easy to adjust, has an outlet hose for in-tank rinsing of the media, and you can buy replacement parts for it (like o-rings so you don't have to tighten it so hard haha). I have two TLF reactors that are somewhere around 8 years old, and still running like day one.

I use the mini max by innovative marine. There super easy to change the media.

These are my second choice for GFO (I hate them for carbon). I don't use the sponges because they are a PITA to clean the GFO out of and get clogged up. The drawback to that is that you have to pay attention to where the openings are when you insert the reactor into the holder because if it lands on "full blast" it will blow the GFO right out of the reactor which makes me want to punch something. :lol: As long as you know about this, it isn't a problem. I would only recommend the medium and large sizes, the tiny one is a PITA to clean. The only "non-fixable" drawback to these is that there is no outlet hose, so you can't do an in-tank rinse, you have to rinse before you put it in. The problem with that is no matter how well you rinse there is always that orange cloud of dust that comes out when you first install a new batch.

tang daddy
02-09-2017, 04:22 PM
I've used TLF and BRS reactors for carbon and GFO and I don't like either of them, TLF is built cheaply and you have to tight it very hard for a good seal. BRS deluxe reactor is built like a tank but I hated the upside down idea, the sponges just cannot hold it's position all the time.
can anyone recommend something built to last and easy to replace media?

Tlf reactor is hard to open I agree, also found my rodi was hard to open to replace the premeditated cartridges. At Canadian tire they sell a tool to open oil filters it's a simple design actually. I'll try to find the link and post.

https://m.canadiantire.ca/#/products/productDetail/0588335P/false/false/false?selectedSku=0588335

mseepman
02-09-2017, 05:03 PM
princess auto sells rubber strap wrenches and they work wonders to open my TLF reactors....which I have 4 of all running constantly for the last 7-8 years.

DKoKoMan
02-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Lots of good information on here!

Myka
02-09-2017, 06:16 PM
princess auto sells rubber strap wrenches

Those are the bomb! I've used them for bulkheads too.

tang daddy
02-09-2017, 10:24 PM
princess auto sells rubber strap wrenches and they work wonders to open my TLF reactors....which I have 4 of all running constantly for the last 7-8 years.

Yes they are the best invention next to cars....
I struggled with the plastic wrenches to open the rodi pre filters with one of these straps it opens like butter....