PDA

View Full Version : What to use for a sump?

Tarolisol
11-24-2004, 05:01 AM
Im looking for somthing along the lines of 2 feet tall 2 feet wide and around 30 " long or so. I went to UFA for those rubbermaid troughs or whatever they are called and they no longer carry them. So i need some new ideas.... cheap ideas. all it has to do is hold water and be able to be drilled into.

Delphinus
11-24-2004, 05:19 AM
Rubbermaid.

Tarolisol
11-24-2004, 06:00 AM
What kind of rubbermaid and where, I looked for the big bins like canadian man has but they arnt sold anymore.

Canadian Man
11-24-2004, 06:18 AM
Go visit Walmart, Homedepot, Canadian Tire.
You will find lot's of options.

IslandReefer
11-24-2004, 08:35 AM
I got my rubbermaid trough (just like Canadianman's and Tony's except grey)@ a farm feed and tack store (Buckerfields).....they also said that people use them for Koi ponds so.....a pond supply place?
Good luck...
PS: I keep the sump level about half so I can snorkle :lol:

danny zubot
11-24-2004, 02:35 PM
).....they also said that people use them for Koi ponds so.....a pond supply place?

A nice bean shaped sump would be cool! :mrgreen:

medican
11-24-2004, 05:10 PM
hey Tarolisol

If you give UFA a call in Airdrie I see the ones like Can Man as I drive by everyday......I think there about 100 bucks

Richard

Tarolisol
11-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Yeah canadian mans is one size to big i need the smaller size around 70 gallons or so. Do you know where that farms store is..

medican
11-25-2004, 12:31 AM
UFA is on the sw corner of the overpass in airdrie......thats the north entrance to Airdrie if comming from Calgary it would be your 3rd turn off and go across the overpass and its on the SW side

I think they have smaller :rolleyes:

Richard

Buccaneer
11-25-2004, 12:45 AM
We could always build one as well with the specific dimensions that you need ... the advantage of glass is you can put in the baffles to reduce bubbles going back into the tank ... trying to put baffles into a trough is difficult because it bends easily at the sides when filled.

Getting Mitch to build you one in time may be a tall order though ... a 33g tank also works well. 1/4 inch glass is pretty cheap though and readily available at most glass shops

Tarolisol
11-25-2004, 02:44 AM
i was thinking about making a sump out of plywood and thin plexi. I would go glass but i dont have the know how or bit to drill glass.

kari
11-25-2004, 03:23 AM
We could always build one as well with the specific dimensions that you need ... the advantage of glass is you can put in the baffles to reduce bubbles going back into the tank ... trying to put baffles into a trough is difficult because it bends easily at the sides when filled.

Getting Mitch to build you one in time may be a tall order though ... a 33g tank also works well. 1/4 inch glass is pretty cheap though and readily available at most glass shops

The easiest way I found to put baffles into irregular shaped plastic sumps was to build a free standing acrylic box insert with baffles inside.

Delphinus
11-25-2004, 05:25 AM
Dumb question, but why not just build a sump out of acylic? If you're building a skimmer already a sump is going to be a walk in the park.

albert_dao
11-25-2004, 05:26 AM
Dumb question, but why not just build a sump out of acylic? If you're building a skimmer already a sump is going to be a walk in the park.

Or you could make the ultimate sump out of a flooded basement!

Delphinus
11-25-2004, 05:42 AM
:lol:

I think I've come pretty darn close to trying that. You wouldn't beleive the yelling, screaming, and crying that resulted in, however. And if you would have thought that was bad you should have heard what my WIFE had to say about it.

Tarolisol
11-25-2004, 06:06 AM
haha funny you should say flood the basement, The floors are still wait from all this crap ive had to move around to get prepared for this tank i got pails of LR and tanks of LS and taking down my 150 i managed to flood the room where im building the tank, i thought the drain could handle it, well everything is almost dry now and i only have to change my socks twice a day now.

medican
11-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Drove by UFA and I saw two smaller sizes looks like maybe a 75gal and a 50 there too.

Richard

Tarolisol
11-26-2004, 04:54 PM
If only airdire wasnt an hour drive away. I live on the far south end of the city. Im going to make a plywood box and line it with plexiglass, That was it will be easyer for me to make baffles and drill holes. Thanks for all te suggestions though.