PDA

View Full Version : par effect of reefbrite?

ReefMadness
02-07-2017, 03:31 AM
I currently run a 8x54w sunpower dimmable over my standard 120g but will be adding a single reefbrite xho to add some pop to my zoas. in thinking about it a little more, am I going to have to adjust my lighting schedule to compensate for added par from the leds?

Myka
02-07-2017, 03:49 AM
Yes you will. You can buy an online analog-style dimmer for the Reef Brites.

ReefMadness
02-07-2017, 04:08 AM
Yes you will. You can buy an online analog-style dimmer for the Reef Brites.

I wonder if Colby would be able to find one for me. I was snooping around and noticed that reefbrite.com seemed to be the only place I could find their dimmer.

Wheelman76
02-07-2017, 04:53 AM
Give tech support in the states a call and ask to speak to Tullio , really nice guy. He told me that because of the way the Reefbright is designed with the sort of T5 reflector they use , that it really minimizes that burning or hotspot effect that you get from some LED's (really cool design). I was concerned about the same thing as you when I first got mine , and was asking him about the dimmer. He said if I was worried about the extra par that I should just start off only running it an hour or two a day and slowly increase , and not bother with the dimmer.

ReefMadness
02-07-2017, 05:16 AM
Give tech support in the states a call and ask to speak to Tullio , really nice guy. He told me that because of the way the Reefbright is designed with the sort of T5 reflector they use , that it really minimizes that burning or hotspot effect that you get from some LED's (really cool design). I was concerned about the same thing as you when I first got mine , and was asking him about the dimmer. He said if I was worried about the extra par that I should just start off only running it an hour or two a day and slowly increase , and not bother with the dimmer.

interesting.
I had planned for an acclimation period to the fixture itself just to be cautious but it makes sense that once the corals are all ok with the extra light it could run without bleaching.
I suppose I could adjust the photo-period or brightness with my current set-up should things get hairy too.

Scythanith
02-07-2017, 04:44 PM
I have a RB dimmer at the house you could buy off me. Doubt I will use it.

I just added one RB XHO 36" to my 3 bulb T5 set up and adjusted for nothing :) It bumped the PAR up about 30 points at the waters surface.

Myka
02-10-2017, 04:53 AM
I wonder if Colby would be able to find one for me. I was snooping around and noticed that reefbrite.com seemed to be the only place I could find their dimmer.
Yes he can. He has a Reef Brite order coming soon...not sure if it shipped yet or not. Sorry I meant "in-line analog dimmer" not "online".

tang daddy
02-10-2017, 06:40 PM
I have a RB dimmer at the house you could buy off me. Doubt I will use it.

I just added one RB XHO 36" to my 3 bulb T5 set up and adjusted for nothing :) It bumped the PAR up about 30 points at the waters surface.

How big is your tank?

With just the xho on does it light up the tank and rocks or is it on the darker side?

Scythanith
02-10-2017, 07:44 PM
Thats for my frag tank. It's 48" long but I only light 36" of it. It fills it with a deep royal blue colour. Not bright by any means but it lights up anything with fluorescent pigments. You would not light your tank solely with a strip of these, they are more to accent certain colours and dawn/dusk lighting.

ReefMadness
02-10-2017, 09:36 PM
Thats for my frag tank. It's 48" long but I only light 36" of it. It fills it with a deep royal blue colour. Not bright by any means but it lights up anything with fluorescent pigments. You would not light your tank solely with a strip of these, they are more to accent certain colours and dawn/dusk lighting.
this is why i'm adding them as well. zoas deserve to have their awesome colors highlighted.