PDA

View Full Version : Ozone

Jack
11-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Anyone out there using it?

StirCrazy
11-23-2004, 11:05 PM
I have looked into it and still concidering it.. but there is some risk involved so don't cheep out on this one.

Steve

Jack
11-24-2004, 12:11 AM
What are you most concerned about?

StirCrazy
11-24-2004, 12:38 AM
an overdose. if you let the concentration of ozone get to high it will quickly kill every living organism in your tank.

Steve

StirCrazy
11-24-2004, 12:48 AM
here is the way to do it Jack, maybe you can get us a price on these units as they are pretty safe.

http://www.redseafish.com/Product.asp?dir=y&catID=92&subID=43&proID=170

the other way I have seen it done is with a cylinder like Co2 but it is Ozone and it is bubbled into the system.. this is highly unsafe and which I have determined I will not try.

Steve

Jack
11-24-2004, 12:49 AM
Always risks in this hobby we just have to minimalize them. Although for piece of mind the monitor/controller is just about the same price as the ozone unit!

The combo I'm looking at is RedSea Aquazone 50mg/hr with Miluakee ORP controller/monitor.

I'll run that through a DIY air driven skimmer and have it output through some carbon.

I'd like to minimalize toys on my new tank and go with simplicity but I just gotta try this out.

I'm saving...

Jack
11-24-2004, 12:52 AM
Let me look up the price.

I would assume that unit has the ORP probe?

Jack
11-24-2004, 12:53 AM
Steve, what mg/hr unit would you go with?

Just looked it up and only the deluxe model with the ORP probe. But it's a nice unit!

StirCrazy
11-24-2004, 01:00 AM

Just looked it up and the deluxe model only comes with the ORP probe.

Isn't it got a built in controler that stops the output when you reach your set ORP level?

Jack
11-24-2004, 01:05 AM

Just looked it up and the deluxe model only comes with the ORP probe.

Isn't it got a built in controler that stops the output when you reach your set ORP level?

Yes it does.

The Deluxe 50mg/hr and 100mg/hr units w/ORP probe are about $350 US each.

I've never seen one used around here locally I can't tell if it's worth it.

StirCrazy
11-24-2004, 01:13 AM
The Deluxe 50mg/hr and 100mg/hr units w/ORP probe are about $350 US each.

I've never seen one used around here locally I can't tell if it's worth it.

ya I haven't seen a canadian store with them yet.. Maybe this is an opertunity for Ocean aquatics to be a distrubitor for Canada :mrgreen:

Steve

trilinearmipmap
11-24-2004, 01:50 AM
I thought ozone was a 1970's thing. What are the advantages of it?

StirCrazy
11-24-2004, 03:05 AM

Ozone is a very powerful sterilizer that will kill any organic life depending on the concentration. by dosing it you are trying to keep your ORP around 350 to 400. I had a Page somewhere that went into great detail if I can find it I will post it.

Steve

Tarolisol
11-24-2004, 04:57 AM
I am also thinking about using ozone. I have beed told that it dissapates (sp?) really quickly in saltwater and will almost never make it back to the main tank so it is very diffucult to harm any organisms in the tank. Also people say that the cheapest way to go about it is to use the ones that are install in pools and spas. Im not really sure how poisionous it actully is since i have on in my hot tub and i can put my face right infront of the outlet without any problems.

StirCrazy
11-24-2004, 05:05 AM
I am also thinking about using ozone. I have beed told that it dissapates (sp?) really quickly in saltwater and will almost never make it back to the main tank so it is very diffucult to harm any organisms in the tank. Also people say that the cheapest way to go about it is to use the ones that are install in pools and spas. Im not really sure how poisionous it actully is since i have on in my hot tub and i can put my face right infront of the outlet without any problems.

the pool and spa thing is a good Idea, maybe I will check tomorrow on that. the deal is that you plumb it into your skimmer and then put a post carbon filter on the air outlet of your skimmer as the gas is poisionus if traped int he house over time. the way it works is by increasing that ORP by destroying organic matter that passes through your skimmer. If you ORP gets out of hand and to high you will start to kill other things in your tank. I saw a tank in the US that had a ozone overdose and it looked like caustic burns on the corals.

In your spa most of the work is done in the filter and the level of ozone used is very small as it is only ment to reduce the use of chlorine not elimanate it.. I was tempted to go that way with my hot tub a couple years back also but it was still relitivly new out here.

Steve

Delphinus
11-24-2004, 05:14 AM

Apparently water clarity is the big thing people are getting out of it nowadays; it polishes the water. There's about a 672,213 page thread (well .. feels that big anyhow .. it's almost a year old and people are still posting to it) over at RC entitled "Who uses ozone?" that goes into a few reasons why to try it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=287495

Tarolisol
11-24-2004, 05:15 AM
I see i understand the poision part now, But im not sure hoe small of amount is being pumped into my hot tub it seems like quite a bit. It seems to pump quite a bit. But maybe because it doesnt pump it all the time it doesnt get to bad levels.

trilinearmipmap
11-24-2004, 04:38 PM
My skimmer already strips too much life out of the water.

I can understand ozone for certain applications such as breeding, importing/quarantine, and propagation. But for my reef I want more life not less, just my opinion.

I have seen a local tank that is run skimmerless, looks awesome, that is the way my next tank will be.

Tarolisol
11-24-2004, 06:18 PM
Doesnt ozone also make the water incredibly clear. LIke the fish are swimming in air.

aparently i need to read a little harder that was already mentioned :frown:

LostMind
11-25-2004, 12:17 AM
It does increase clarity. But somehow, it also reduces the production of my skimmer...

I have the redsea unit on my tank.

Richer
11-25-2004, 12:24 AM
It does increase clarity. But somehow, it also reduces the production of my skimmer...

I have the redsea unit on my tank.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but I believe ozone actually completely breaks down organic material, which would explain the decreased skimmer output. Pretty nasty stuff.

-Richer