PDA

View Full Version : Lowering DT water level question

Ryancw
01-30-2017, 04:42 AM
my tank has been up and running now for two and a half years, during that time I've chosen to ignore the fact that the water level is far too high and so close to the euro brace that underneath it collects water and salt creep.
Has anyone ever attempted to dremel their overflow teeth lower while the tank is still operational or would significant draining be the safer route?

I figured if i ran socks as i normally do.. any acrylic would collect there for easy removal when im done. any opinons?

Thanks

DKoKoMan
01-30-2017, 08:23 AM
Don't think it would be an issue as most pieces would fall in to the overflow. You should be be able to collect the pieces you have cut though and use the sock as a safety net.

Myka
01-30-2017, 12:55 PM
From your description, you have a glass overflow with acrylic teeth, correct? So if you crack the acrylic, the glass will still hold the water in? Also, you're not attempting to drill the glass part of the overflow at all, correct?

If you answer yes, yes, yes, then it should be just fine for you to drill it. I'd turn the system off while doing it though just for ease of viewing the area. Fwiw, if you lower only a few teeth bottoms, the majority will go through there and will probably make the overflow noisy, so you will probably want to lower all the teeth bottoms evenly.

mike31154
01-30-2017, 02:52 PM
Make sure whatever power tool you're using is GFCI protected.