PDA

View Full Version : Fluconazole VS. Bryopsis Discussion Thread

GoFish
01-25-2017, 08:56 PM
Another member (Thanks Dearth) posted a link to another forum discussing the use use of an Anti-Fungal fish medication called Fluconazole to kill Bryopsis algae. It has been an ugly battle for many years in the hobby, not won by many. People used to raise their Magnesium levels with Kent Tech-M to 1600 and higher, but since they must've changed their recipe it no longer seems to have an effect. I've tried it 4 times without success

Fluconazole comes with several different trade names and packaging. The gel capsules are not used in the treatment, they are emptied into tank water and dissolved the best you can (it won't completely dissolve apparently)
Heres an example of the medication.
http://www.mims.com/resources/drugs/Thailand/packshot/Flunco6002PPS0.JPG

And heres and example of what it can do to Bryopsis in 8 Days

Day 1.....Day 5....Day 8
http://i.imgur.com/d8WH11Q.jpg
The above tank was dosed with 20mg per 1 gallon of tank water (5mg/L). Only one time with no other changes to the tank. Theres a little bit more algae there in the last photo but this is a current treatment and should be completely gone in another day or 2. Another dosing rate has been mentioned @ 9mg/L with success as well but doesnt look like you need that much based on these photos ^^^

i don't know of any source in Canada that sells this product without a prescription, but hopefully one day and more time and tests are done that your local fish store may begin to carry it. It can be purchased currently online in the US and shipped here though. Personal experience anyways, no guarantees Canada Customs will continue to allow this...

Discuss if you must.
If you try it please share your results!
And please do your research first beyond this thread! This is a place to discuss, I'm not telling anyone they SHOULD try this. But if you have Bryopsis and would like to get rid of it, this looks very promising....amazing

tang daddy
01-25-2017, 09:20 PM
Another member (Thanks Dearth) posted a link to another forum discussing the use use of an Anti-Fungal fish medication called Fluconazole to kill Bryopsis algae. It has been an ugly battle for many years in the hobby, not won by many. People used to raise their Magnesium levels with Kent Tech-M to 1600 and higher, but since they must've changed their recipe it no longer seems to have an effect. I've tried it 4 times without success

Fluconazole comes with several different trade names and packaging. The gel capsules are not used in the treatment, they are emptied into tank water and dissolved the best you can (it won't completely dissolve apparently)
Heres an example of the medication.
http://www.mims.com/resources/drugs/Thailand/packshot/Flunco6002PPS0.JPG

And heres and example of what it can do to Bryopsis in 8 Days

Day 1.....Day 5....Day 8
http://i.imgur.com/d8WH11Q.jpg
The above tank was dosed with 20mg per 1 gallon of tank water (5mg/L). Only one time with no other changes to the tank. Theres a little bit more algae there in the last photo but this is a current treatment and should be completely gone in another day or 2. Another dosing rate has been mentioned @ 9mg/L with success as well but doesnt look like you need that much based on these photos ^^^

i don't know of any source in Canada that sells this product without a prescription, but hopefully one day and more time and tests are done that your local fish store may begin to carry it. It can be purchased currently online in the US and shipped here though. Personal experience anyways, no guarantees Canada Customs will continue to allow this...

Discuss if you must.
If you try it please share your results!
And please do your research first beyond this thread! This is a place to discuss, I'm not telling anyone they SHOULD try this. But if you have Bryopsis and would like to get rid of it, this looks very promising....amazing

Is that just one dose and wait 8 days?

GoFish
01-25-2017, 09:29 PM
Yes, one dose and no ill effects :surprise:

GoFish
01-25-2017, 10:05 PM
And for ease of reference. More info can be found here...
My battle with Bryopsis... (http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/)

Example of successful treatment...
Day 1
http://www.reef2reef.com/attachments/img_1750-jpg.460615/
Day 10
http://www.reef2reef.com/attachments/img_1749-jpg.460616/

Delphinus
01-25-2017, 11:02 PM
Simply astonishing. I'm definitely on board to try this on my own tank.

But I assume I have to rehome my chaeto first. I know there was some mention of maybe macros being safe in the linked-to threads but I don't recall seeing anything too definitive (I might have overlooked it and it's been a few days since I checked in on those threads, but honestly it stands to reason that if you're going after algae that "other algaes" might become collateral damage..).

rockworm
01-25-2017, 11:26 PM
I am now at day 4 after dosing fluconazole and it has not affected the caulerpa that I have in my sump. It also does not affect the green algae film that grows on the glass. (bummer)

I posted a couple of pictures in the 'Interesting Read' thread: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1006840&postcount=12

The bryopsis was white yesterday and today it is literally disintegrating. Vibrant and now fluconazole seem to be two significant products for our reef systems. The only unknown, at this point, is the long term effects on corals, fish and inverts.

Simply astonishing. I'm definitely on board to try this on my own tank.

But I assume I have to rehome my chaeto first. I know there was some mention of maybe macros being safe in the linked-to threads but I don't recall seeing anything too definitive (I might have overlooked it and it's been a few days since I checked in on those threads, but honestly it stands to reason that if you're going after algae that "other algaes" might become collateral damage..).

gtareef
01-26-2017, 01:33 AM
Awesome stuff guys. Thanks for sharing.

iamfrontosa
01-26-2017, 07:53 AM
Next time I go to Thailand, I will buy a bunch.

tang daddy
01-26-2017, 03:57 PM
^^why do you have to go to Thailand to buy when they have it here and can ship to your door.

Bryant those pics are super impressive. Damn now I got pills to last a lifetime of bryopsis outbreaks!

WarDog
01-26-2017, 05:06 PM
According to Wiki, Fluconazole is a Perscription drug in Canada and the US. However, if you continue reading it says this: Fluconazole is sold as a single 150 mg dose over the counter in Canada under the brand names Monicure / Monistat and Canesten.

iamfrontosa
01-26-2017, 05:10 PM
^^why do you have to go to Thailand to buy when they have it here and can ship to your door.

Bryant those pics are super impressive. Damn now I got pills to last a lifetime of bryopsis outbreaks!

Just because i go back home evey year

rockworm
01-26-2017, 09:18 PM
I dosed the fluconazole on January 21. Here is the progress up to today. A reminder that I had been aggressively dosing Vibrant in November and December, so the bryopsis was weakened by the Vibrant. As you can see in the third picture, the bryopsis is literally melting away.

January 23
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee482/reefmania59/Reef%20build/Jan_23_Bryop_zpsenjn1hhm.jpg~original

January 24
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee482/reefmania59/Reef%20build/Jan_24_Bryop_zps53senpfx.jpg~original

January 26
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee482/reefmania59/Reef%20build/Jan_26_Bryop_zpsstlhggsa.jpg~original

tang daddy
01-26-2017, 10:07 PM
According to Wiki, Fluconazole is a Perscription drug in Canada and the US. However, if you continue reading it says this: Fluconazole is sold as a single 150 mg dose over the counter in Canada under the brand names Monicure / Monistat and Canesten.

Lol @ $15-20 a pop!!

Frogger
01-26-2017, 10:09 PM
I dosed my 38 gallon tank last night that I have had bryopsis for over 10 years in that tank thanks to Bryant (Go Fish). 600mg. We will see how well it works. I have not dosed Vibrant in the tank like the others.

I have turned off the GFO, removed the skimmer cup and dimmed the lights.

GoFish
01-26-2017, 11:40 PM
I dosed my 38 gallon tank last night that I have had bryopsis for over 10 years in that tank thanks to Bryant (Go Fish). 600mg. We will see how well it works. I have not dosed Vibrant in the tank like the others.

I have turned off the GFO, removed the skimmer cup and dimmed the lights.

No worries Glen. You could've used 380mg based on some other experiences but 600mg should definitely do the trick. Try to take a before and after pic if possible? You can email it to me to host if that's easier for you

GoFish
01-26-2017, 11:42 PM
I dosed the fluconazole on January 21. Here is the progress up to today. A reminder that I had been aggressively dosing Vibrant in November and December, so the bryopsis was weakened by the Vibrant. As you can see in the third picture, the bryopsis is literally melting away.

That's awesome thanks for the update!

rockworm
01-27-2017, 12:01 AM
That's awesome thanks for the update!

It is my pleasure to report the results. Now, if only we knew of any long term repercussions. My understanding is that an individual did the application in early November and has seen no negative consequences since then. This is promising because water changes and activated carbon should replace the fluconazole over time. This is a very promising discovery.

I do 5g daily water change, but turned it off from January 21 until today. I removed the activated carbon and turned my skimmer off for 3 days. I will put the activated carbon back in after I see the bryopsis gone.

I will admit, there is a sadistic pleasure in watching this stuff go bye bye. The tank is a 400g (8 ft long) and I have been focusing on 2 foot section to show what is happening. Thank you @GoFish for the translation and publishing. :)

01-27-2017, 12:02 AM
FYI Fluconazole can be bought OTC as its used to treat yeast infections for women. Its only sold as Diflucan one here incanada.
Monistat is miconazole nitrate..

kengeroo
01-27-2017, 04:32 AM
Started does this afternoon ... so far so good .. fish,coral,shrimp,starfish,nudis all okay. ..https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/4b9db4fa4873c7570a7c0f638084f0c1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/9dfb704f7f66f1771e6fb028e88a51e3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/5b6eaa1f5a6131874561b06a10ee30ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

gregzz4
01-27-2017, 05:55 AM
Not meaning to derail this thread, but has anyone with a bryopsis/valonia issue tried raising nitrates?
I found by doing so the 'whatever' bacteria started consuming 'whatever' and my phosphates dropped ... to the point where I had to start over-feeding my fish to keep levels up enough for my corals.
I've since taken both my carbon and gfo reactors offline and still have nearly no algae - to the point where it's not worth my time to scrape the glass anymore.

I started with 0 NO3 and 0.09 PO4.
I dosed 5mls Seachem Nitrogen liquid for 3 days. NO3 rose too fast to 10. Then PO4 dropped to 0.03. Corals started some STN. Stopped dosing and waited a few days. On and on it went.
Finally found a balance and now test PO4 and NO3 weekly to adjust Nitrogen dosing - which has lately been only once a week instead of daily.

GoFish
01-27-2017, 06:06 AM
Not meaning to derail this thread, but has anyone with a bryopsis/valonia issue tried raising nitrates?
I found by doing so the 'whatever' bacteria started consuming 'whatever' and my phosphates dropped ... to the point where I had to start over-feeding my fish to keep levels up enough for my corals.
I've since taken both my carbon and gfo reactors offline and still have nearly no algae - to the point where it's not worth my time to scrape the glass anymore.

I started with 0 NO3 and 0.09 PO4.
I dosed 5mls Seachem Nitrogen liquid for 3 days. NO3 rose too fast to 10. Then PO4 dropped to 0.03. Corals started some STN. Stopped dosing and waited a few days. On and on it went.
Finally found a balance and now test PO4 and NO3 weekly to adjust Nitrogen dosing - which has lately been only once a week instead of daily.

Hmmm good to know that higher NO3 can have an effect on algae. I would think over the years that someone would've noticed a relation to higher NO3 = no Bryopsis in 10 days.
I asked someone last week what kind of algae they had. The answer was "the devil".... after googling "devil algae" came up with nothing, turns out he was referring to Bryopsis, this stuff is nasty nate

Ever had it?

Rog
01-27-2017, 08:04 AM
Vibrant and now fluconazole seem to be two significant products for our reef systems. The only unknown, at this point, is the long term effects on corals, fish and inverts.

Hi Rockworm, what's Vibrant?

Northern Reefer
01-27-2017, 10:42 AM
I recently (5 months ago) used Kent M for a small outbreak but had to raise magnesium to 1800. Never lost anything and have not seen a return of bryopsys. Still firm believer in Kent M. I also used it in a previous tank 3 years ago. I found that I had to raise Mg to 1800 and maintain it there for 3-4 weeks. I believe it was introduced from a frag both times from same source. Now I dip everything!

gregzz4
01-27-2017, 01:25 PM
Ever had it?
Ya, I had it clogging up my overflow in my previous tank. Wish I'd known about the NO3/PO4 relationship back then!

rockworm
01-27-2017, 04:23 PM
There is a very lengthy thread at R2R, but the first post describes Vibrant.

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner-discussion-thread.271428/

Hi Rockworm, what's Vibrant?

Frogger
01-28-2017, 06:50 PM
Day 2.5 since I dosed. The bryopsis is loosing colour fast and starting to release from the rocks. Although now it appears Cyno is starting to grow on the bryopsos. I haven't had Cyno in years.

I think it might be because I turned off the skimmer. So I have turned the skimmer back on.

kengeroo
01-29-2017, 01:28 AM
all livestock doing fine,,
some of my weaker sps,, RTN'd

bryopsis are getting gray in the gills

fingers crossed !

Started does this afternoon ... so far so good .. fish,coral,shrimp,starfish,nudis all okay. ..https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/4b9db4fa4873c7570a7c0f638084f0c1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/9dfb704f7f66f1771e6fb028e88a51e3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/5b6eaa1f5a6131874561b06a10ee30ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Rogue951
01-29-2017, 01:42 AM
Alright so if Vibrant doesn't work I guess I'm trying this next.
Where'd you get the stuff in vancouver?

GoFish
01-29-2017, 02:03 AM
Been just over 3 days since adding it and at least 90% of the Bryopsis ferns have perished, there are some roots left and as well as some little tube shaped capsules which some have disappeared and some are getting white tips.
Until yesterday I had never seen snails touch Bryopsis. Now it's a smorgasbord! They can't keep their faces out of it

2 Fish, chalices, Acans, mushrooms, zoas/palys, 1 SPS (FF Digitata) all haven't skipped a beat. It looks like the polyps on the digi are extra fluffy like it couldn't be happier.

The Bryopsis that doesn't get as much light tends to take longer to break down, I turned off the Violet and UV LEDs on the 2nd day but probably could've just let them be. Everything else is the same

Day 2.5 since I dosed. The bryopsis is loosing colour fast and starting to release from the rocks. Although now it appears Cyno is starting to grow on the bryopsos. I haven't had Cyno in years.

I think it might be because I turned off the skimmer. So I have turned the skimmer back on.

Good news and not so good news, but probably nothing a little chemiclean can't take care of after treatment (if your skimmer doesn't help)

All livestock doing fine,
some of my weaker sps RTN'd

Bryopsis is getting gray in the gills

Fingers crossed!

Hmmm, by weaker SPS do you mean they were in poor health to begin with? This would be the first I've heard of SPS having negative effects. It's kinda fun watching it die, the Bry, not your SPS :sad:

What does your tank look like now Keng? You quoted your original pics for some reason??

Alright so if Vibrant doesn't work I guess I'm trying this next.
Where'd you get the stuff in vancouver?

Some people got it from me cause I ordered too much (don't have any left)... I bought it from Payless-petproducts.com in the US and had it shipped to my door. I'm sure if you or someone else orders more, you could post a group buy "type thing" if that would be allowed? You cant sell it on here anyway. The more you buy the cheaper they get on that website. There's been several other people asking me for it so might be a good opportunity to save on shipping and in quantity.

GoFish
01-29-2017, 02:38 AM
Here's my progress so far
http://i.imgur.com/nzJIx7k.jpg

GoFish
01-29-2017, 02:55 AM
And this
http://i.imgur.com/QJenZmD.jpg

Dearth
01-29-2017, 03:02 AM
Fluconazole

Took me only about 45 minutes of searching but because a lot of people have questions and for whatever reason not searching I went through several dozen posts on Reef Central and about 25 or so posts on Reef to Reef this is what I found
*****this is not scientific but taken from other forums*****

Is Fluconazole harmful to my tank inhabitants?

In every post I read Fluconazole was not harmful to even the most sensitive fish and coral. Many people who reported coral, invert and fish death and injury during and after treatment traced the deaths or injuries to another algae or bacteria moving in, fighting over new food sources uncovered by the removal of bryopsis and existing illness were the most common factors

Side effects of Fluconazole and bryopsis removal?

Most commonly reported symptom of the treatment and removal was the appearance of Cyanobacteria which from what I could glean from the posts is around 35% of the time Cyanobacteria would appear. Less common was hair and bubble algae. In rare cases it seemed that flatworm populations exploded in some tanks.

Does bryopsis come back after treatment?

From what I found is many tanks were still bryopsis free after 6 months from the treatment date. In some cases where not enough treatment was used it came back or was reintroduced back into the tank via other means

How often can I use Fluconazole?

I found no clear detail on this but apparently it would seem treatment can be used again and again with no ill effect but then again it is user beware

Can I overdose my tank with Fluconazole?

Again I found no clear evidence of this as most people tended to err on the side of caution and under dose but again it is user beware

Hope this helps somewhat

tang daddy
01-29-2017, 10:22 PM
Is every dosing at 20ml per gallon or more?

GoFish
01-29-2017, 11:57 PM
20mg* per gallon yes. I used slightly more as I didn't feel like splitting up 80% of a capsule. And did you mean to say everyone? Or every dose? Cause it only takes one dose

And thanks for doing that research Dearth ^^^ helpful info to add here.

tang daddy
01-30-2017, 12:06 AM
20mg* per gallon yes. I used slightly more as I didn't feel like splitting up 80% of a capsule. And did you mean to say everyone? Or every dose? Cause it only takes one dose

And thanks for doing that research Dearth ^^^ helpful info to add here.

Got it, just trying to gauge how many pills for my tank.does this powder mix with water well?

GoFish
01-30-2017, 12:20 AM
Got it, just trying to gauge how many pills for my tank.does this powder mix with water well?

I couldn't get it mix completely without sediment, not sure if it's possible unless maybe alcohol is used? Don't use alcohol though just shake it the best you can with tank water and let er flow.

tang daddy
01-30-2017, 03:19 PM
I couldn't get it mix completely without sediment, not sure if it's possible unless maybe alcohol is used? Don't use alcohol though just shake it the best you can with tank water and let er flow.

Cool bro, I just dosed 3 pills in my 110g system... for whatever reason the bryopsis is only in the sump, it may be due to lower flow and sediments settling feeding the weeds. Anyhow it didn't dissolve well so I poured it on the affected areas. Hoping the undisolved powder will be extra strength against the weeds lol.

I should've took some pics for document reasons but will let it brand update my progress.

GoFish
01-30-2017, 03:48 PM
So you dosed about 1/4 of what others have done. That should be a good test. I know people are wondering what the minimum amount would be to see results.
Let us know how that works.

tang daddy
01-30-2017, 04:06 PM
So you dosed about 1/4 of what others have done. That should be a good test. I know people are wondering what the minimum amount would be to see results.
Let us know how that works.

Yah I guess roughly 5mg to a gallon, was just thinking should dose abit first to see if anything happens and if not do a second dose. I learned the hard way with vibrant lol.

GoFish
01-30-2017, 05:21 PM
Yah I guess roughly 5mg to a gallon, was just thinking should dose abit first to see if anything happens and if not do a second dose. I learned the hard way with vibrant lol.
If you could give it 48hrs since dosing to see if there's a difference that would be sweet, that's about the time it definitely shows an impact

Jakegr
01-30-2017, 08:40 PM
Wow there are some amazing pictures in this thread!

I'll just add that fluconazole is generally quite well tolerated by animals, but we shouldn't say there are "no adverse effects". You definitely seem them in land animals. There could be adverse effects, but we just don't notice them because they would be very hard to see in fish (unless the adverse reaction is death!). The most common adverse drug reaction would be gastrointestinal related, which we probably wouldn't notice in our fish. It is also possible for the drug to have adverse effects on the fishes liver, but again unless you necropsy dead fish or do other diagnostics you probably wouldn't notice. I would just to monitor your fishes appetite post-treatment and see if their feces look normal.

Anyways that is just FYI. This looks like an extremely useful tool to have for Bryopsis problems.

tang daddy
01-30-2017, 10:14 PM
If you could give it 48hrs since dosing to see if there's a difference that would be sweet, that's about the time it definitely shows an impact

True took a sneak peek at the tank when I was feeding the anemones and Lps no difference after 24hrs....I will wait another day or 2, I have patience but this stuff is super thick and comes back really quick so it's definitely using something up. My mg is still above 1700 but I never tried Kent so obviously the myth about high mg slowing growth is a bust.

tang daddy
01-30-2017, 10:30 PM
Wow there are some amazing pictures in this thread!

I'll just add that fluconazole is generally quite well tolerated by animals, but we shouldn't say there are "no adverse effects". You definitely seem them in land animals. There could be adverse effects, but we just don't notice them because they would be very hard to see in fish (unless the adverse reaction is death!). The most common adverse drug reaction would be gastrointestinal related, which we probably wouldn't notice in our fish. It is also possible for the drug to have adverse effects on the fishes liver, but again unless you necropsy dead fish or do other diagnostics you probably wouldn't notice. I would just to monitor your fishes appetite post-treatment and see if their feces look normal.

Anyways that is just FYI. This looks like an extremely useful tool to have for Bryopsis problems.

I think Warren had said that this medication was the same used for yeast infections or something of the sorts, definately any drugs used on a tank can have long term effects on the inhabitants. Some of the inverts are alittle more sensitive to medications aswell but all seem to be doing fine. I think that after a heavy treatment of any medication one should do a larger water change to try and dilute the system so it is less harmful.

dcw1sfu
02-01-2017, 03:08 AM
Just purchased 20x200mg tabs think I only need to use 6 of these. Will post how it works once I recieve it and begin treatment.

kengeroo
02-01-2017, 03:20 AM
Bryopsis all gone...
Red macro algae still there... think it's dead.. but it still there.. stuff is like plastic. ...

Going to wait a few days before major water change just in case

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170201/79da4d39b87cf7311d46b587df138881.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170201/26b54a5c0882c05151c8b4a04fa57294.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170201/a9a32baa818ad982a8a7b8f1f57e3c84.jpg

GoFish
02-01-2017, 03:26 AM
Booom! It's like magic.... wait, you took the rocks out and scrubbed them didn't you :question:

kengeroo
02-01-2017, 04:31 AM
no... why

GoFish
02-01-2017, 04:36 AM
Just kidding ;) except the magic part. Is that 5 days since you added it?!

Myka
02-01-2017, 01:36 PM
That's like a miracle drug! I wonder what else it's killing that you may or may not be seeing?

kengeroo
02-01-2017, 02:01 PM
6 days after dosing,,,

Just kidding ;) except the magic part. Is that 5 days since you added it?!

kengeroo
02-01-2017, 02:02 PM
everything looks good,,,
even still seeing copepods shells molting,,
so they are also still alive and well and growing..

That's like a miracle drug! I wonder what else it's killing that you may or may not be seeing?

tang daddy
02-01-2017, 03:19 PM
everything looks good,,,

Any before pics?

So I did a small dose of 5mg for 110g and nothing happened, waited 2 days, I added the remainder of the blister pack now will have to wait and see, because bryopsis has only taken foot in my sump I placed it in there, used a turkey basted to add the stuff. Will wait patiently till it's all gone then do a 30g wc.

kengeroo
02-01-2017, 05:04 PM
before pics are earlier in the thread...

and I'm pretty sure 5mg for a 110 gallon is nearly not enough...
supposed to be 20 Mg per gallon,, so you're dosing for an aquarium the size of a coffe cup..

Any before pics?

So I did a small dose of 5mg for 110g and nothing happened, waited 2 days, I added the remainder of the blister pack now will have to wait and see, because bryopsis has only taken foot in my sump I placed it in there, used a turkey basted to add the stuff. Will wait patiently till it's all gone then do a 30g wc.

GoFish
02-01-2017, 08:31 PM
I wonder what else it's killing that you may or may not be seeing?
That's a great question... I wonder if anyone has tried to contact anyone regarding research on long term effects on unseen life forms. All we have right now is a bunch of guinea pigs. At least short term from what people have observed I've yet to read any negative effects on anything. Keng mentioned losing some "weaker SPS" to RTN, not sure if he can elaborate on that?

and I'm pretty sure 5mg for a 110 gallon is nearly not enough...
supposed to be 20 Mg per gallon, so you're dosing for an aquarium the size of a coffe cup..
He dosed 5.45mg per gallon x 110 gallons = 600mg. Enough to adequately treat a 30 gallon tank, a little bigger than a coffee cup :smile:

Here's a quote from Monday on R2R...
"Gone completely. Treatment was started wed night, over 100s of sps colonys. Every type of corals, gonipora, mushrooms, zoas, leptos, shrooms, favia/favites, all types of acans, rock nems, blastos, euphyllia ,acros and montis, nudibranchs, fish, hermitz snails, sea hare, madractis, aiptasia , cheato, calerpa, red algaes plus more. Were all fine, nothing was affected other then bryopsis. All equipment running at 20mg p gallon. Took my buddy 5 days to kill all traces of bryopsis"

Frogger
02-02-2017, 05:41 AM
I am still not bryopsis free after 7 days. There is still quite a bit of it and it is not looking healthy. The bryopsis took a hit but it seems to have leveled off in the past few days. I do not think it is actively growing but I will have to manually start removing it. I am wondering if starting up my skimmer after day 2 removed the fungicide. The red cyno that started to grow when I shut off the skimmer is completely gone.

Did anyone else run their skimmer while they were treating?

kengeroo
02-02-2017, 03:00 PM
I removed my carbon/chemi-pure (as per Gofish)..
Skimmer was left running...

I actually put another table in on day 4, just in case...

The sps that RTN's had been recently hit by a neighbor and had a little bit of tissue loss before the medication,, I geuss it couldn't handle the change...

I did not have to manually remove the bryopsis,, it either melted away, went into the filters ,, or was consumed by my crabs,,, (for some reason they love rotting bryopsis)

I am still not bryopsis free after 7 days. There is still quite a bit of it and it is not looking healthy. The bryopsis took a hit but it seems to have leveled off in the past few days. I do not think it is actively growing but I will have to manually start removing it. I am wondering if starting up my skimmer after day 2 removed the fungicide. The red cyno that started to grow when I shut off the skimmer is completely gone.

Frogger
02-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Might need to add 1 more capsule.

tang daddy
02-02-2017, 09:19 PM
I weeded out as much as I could before medicating as I wanted the meds to get the roots.

On day 2 now so we will see how it is.

kengeroo
02-02-2017, 10:07 PM
for a 110 gal,, would you not need 11 capsules ????
I have a 65 gallon and I used 7 in total...

Might need to add 1 more capsule.

GoFish
02-02-2017, 10:33 PM
I weeded out as much as I could before medicating as I wanted the meds to get the roots.

On day 2 now so we will see how it is.
So you're at a full dose @ 20mg/gallon instead of 5mg/gallon now? Actually read that someone was able to get rid of their bryopsis at the lower 5mg dose, didn't provide much detail or photos though. Im definitely not a scientist or doctor but suppose in theory it's possible to create a strain resistant to this medication if using too little. Kind of how vaccines are "supposed" to work.
As far as manual removal first, it isn't necessary but probably won't hurt.

No skimmer here, I don't even have one in the tank.
Glad you're Cyano is gone, now onto the Bryopsis. If the remainder isn't looking healthy than it probably is bryopsis and just give it a bit longer. If it's not going away then it could be another type of algae mixed in?
I've yet to see anyone mention that it didn't take care of all the Bryopsis, but have seen someone say they were Bryopsis free after 18days

GoFish
02-02-2017, 10:37 PM
You may be getting people mixed up :wink:... tang daddy has a 110 gallon and Frogger has a 40ish gallon (might need to add 1 more capsule). How many capsules did you use initially Frogger?

Frogger
02-03-2017, 04:56 AM
I added 3 capsules, dissolved the contents as recommended before adding to tank on January 25. The algae is bryopsis. Tank is 38 gallons less the rock and gravel

Myka
02-03-2017, 12:43 PM
everything looks good,,,

Considering it's an antifungal, I was more concerned about "fungals" than pods. You know, like Fungia Plates and Toadstool Leathers...

...Yeah, I'm kidding. But anywho, if it's powerful enough to kill algae so quickly and so dramatically, it just makes me wonder what else it is affecting. It must be affecting other things. Do those things "matter"? I hope not. I like wonder drugs. :D

tang daddy
02-03-2017, 05:24 PM

Hey Kenny display is 90 and sump 35 but only over half full, I estimated 110 of water but it could be less as the rock and corals are stuffed in pretty good. I dosed 1 blister pack in total (10 pills over 3 days) which is suppose to be good for about 100g of water so maybe alittle under....or over.

So you're at a full dose @ 20mg/gallon instead of 5mg/gallon now? Actually read that someone was able to get rid of their bryopsis at the lower 5mg dose, didn't provide much detail or photos though. Im definitely not a scientist or doctor but suppose in theory it's possible to create a strain resistant to this medication if using too little. Kind of how vaccines are "supposed" to work.
As far as manual removal first, it isn't necessary but probably won't hurt.

No skimmer here, I don't even have one in the tank.
Glad you're Cyano is gone, now onto the Bryopsis. If the remainder isn't looking healthy than it probably is bryopsis and just give it a bit longer. If it's not going away then it could be another type of algae mixed in?
I've yet to see anyone mention that it didn't take care of all the Bryopsis, but have seen someone say they were Bryopsis free after 18days

Bryant I basically couldn't add numbers and aired to the side of caution when originally dosing the fluco, it was roughly 5mg/gal initially and then added the remainder of 15mg/gal 3 days later. I will say that yesterday about 32 hrs after initial dose of the 15mg the bryopsis is completely gone, super amazed kinda like I was amazed when bubble algae started to melt. Now if we can find a wonder drug for aptaisia we are almost all covered as far as pests are concerned!

mseepman
02-06-2017, 12:22 AM
So how are people getting this drug?

GoFish
02-06-2017, 01:14 AM
So how are people getting this drug?
Sent you a PM with a couple online sources. One of them has already been mentioned in this thread, the price just went up at least 20% the other day

dcw1sfu
02-06-2017, 08:47 PM
I will recieve mine in the mail today. Just performed a 20% water change and manually removed as much bryopsis as possible to help the process. I'll dose 20mg/gal based on my 60gallon net water. Also I'm going to leave skimmer running with cup off as I carbon dose. I will of course take carbon and gfo offline while the Fluk is doing its thing. I'll keep you all posted.

D.

dcw1sfu
02-08-2017, 11:44 PM
Update...

24 hrs after dosing, Bryopsis is looking weaker and losing its color. Bryopsis that is in the more shaded areas of the tank doesn't look to be too effected yet. So far so good. No negative effects to the tank.

Ram3500
02-10-2017, 03:55 AM
http://http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o794/groundhogdog/6257BB07-64AD-498D-8C27-98F442B9A177_zps3mkf7rfz.jpg (http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/groundhogdog/media/6257BB07-64AD-498D-8C27-98F442B9A177_zps3mkf7rfz.jpg.html)

http://http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o794/groundhogdog/2570531D-C74E-41EB-8E1C-F56AC0AD5606_zpswkn4byum.jpg (http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/groundhogdog/media/2570531D-C74E-41EB-8E1C-F56AC0AD5606_zpswkn4byum.jpg.html)

http://http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o794/groundhogdog/360D14A7-D955-44F6-8C41-C0ACE7509D1A_zpsijswr3ym.jpg (http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/groundhogdog/media/360D14A7-D955-44F6-8C41-C0ACE7509D1A_zpsijswr3ym.jpg.html)

Thanks Bryant !

WarDog
02-10-2017, 04:11 AM
Lol

Myka
02-10-2017, 04:30 AM
Haha nice

GoFish
02-10-2017, 04:32 AM
O...M...G...:whoo:
That's hilarious! And here I'm wondering why you didn't reply to my text earlier? Did it not work? Haha busy cracking beers and making memes I see.

You're welcome Ian

dcw1sfu
02-21-2017, 06:25 PM
Update.

Day 14 since adding the Fluc. All bryopsis gone. There are a few tiny wirey strands that might be bryopsis but could be hair algae. In any case it was successful.

In total I added 7 capsules for 6o gallons. I added the 7th cap on day 4.

I left the skimmer running with the cup on but turned it down to a dry skim. I'm sure leaving the skimmer on slows the process however I wasn't willing to risk leaving my skimmer off while carbon dosing.

I'm going to wait another couple days before doing a water change as everything looks good.

iamfrontosa
02-21-2017, 06:27 PM
damn. it really is a magic pill.

dcw1sfu
02-21-2017, 06:33 PM
damn. it really is a magic pill.

Yeh I've been dealing with manual removal and peroxide dosing for over a year. I went on vacation for a couple weeks and the tank was covered. In the 14 days since dosong it completely stopped the growth and eradicated it. If I left the tank from. Another 14 days without manual removal I would have had the stuff completely converting all my SPS.

best thing is all corals, fush and inverts look as healthy as ever.

Frogger
03-09-2017, 03:21 AM
This is definitely the wonder drug, who would ever have thought it was this easy. I have been keeping a reef tank for over 25 years and who knows what I would have done had I known it was this easy.

It has been 6 weeks since I treated my 40 gallon tank with 3 tablets of Fluconazole and I would never have expected it to be this good. All Bryopsis is gone, I had a heavy infestation 8 years worth, I did nothing else, only removing the dead Bryopsis when it floated to the top.

I have absolutely no Bryopsis left, I lost no inhabitants of my tank, not a snail, not a fish not a coral. The colors of the corals, Bonsai SPS, neon green frogspawn has never changed. there actually growing way faster because there is bare rock to be covered.

The coralline algae was not affected. I had a bit if a Cyano problem immediately after, due to nutrient build up with the dead Bryopsis and skimmer being off line for a half a dozen days. I have completed 2 very large water changes to remove most of the Fluconazole from the water.

GoFish
03-09-2017, 04:27 AM
Glad to hear Frogger, been wondering how your battle went. How long did it end up taking? And did you take a before/after photos?

kengeroo
03-10-2017, 03:37 AM
did not notice until recently..
but previous to the dosage.. I had a plethora of brittle stars in my live rock..

today I noticed I have zero... cannot be definite that it is a result of the meds...

One_Divided
03-13-2017, 03:53 AM
I also beat a complete Bryopsis outbreak in my frag tank a few months back with good old fashion clean up crew..

I added 30 blue legged hermits and 7 emerald crabs (30 gallon tank). You have to pull out all the long stuff (they don't seem to touch the long patches). It will be gone in a couple weeks with enough of them.. I suppose if the treatment didn't effect anything else in the tank, that's pretty easy though!

Etaloche
03-14-2017, 08:13 AM
Anyone have a clam in their tank that's tried this?

Jordon
03-14-2017, 02:14 PM
Anyone have a clam in their tank that's tried this?

I would like to know the same.

Ryanerickson
03-14-2017, 03:06 PM
Couple people on the r2r forum reported there clams where fine during treatment.

Etaloche
03-14-2017, 08:20 PM
Couple people on the r2r forum reported there clams where fine during treatment.

Thank you

kengeroo
03-14-2017, 09:21 PM
but I do have mussels,, and the fugliest bivalve int he world... they're all fine...
just the small brittle stars got hit..

newbie2
03-14-2017, 10:10 PM
6 days into treatment and no issues so far with the following:

Large brittle stars, peppermint shrimp, crocea clam, cleaner shrimp, turbo/Astraea/trochus snails, harlequin starfish, corals, fish.

Etaloche
03-15-2017, 11:22 AM
If anyone has any extra they are looking to sell please send me a pm.

Ryanerickson
03-15-2017, 03:39 PM
https://www.payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html
Ship it to your front door and there pretty cheap

dcw1sfu
04-16-2017, 12:28 AM
UPDATE:

approx 2 months since bryopsis was eradicated from my system, and as of this week it has slowly started to make a come back in the same problem areas as before....

Not sure if maybe some roots were deep in the rock or what would of caused it to start returning. Might have to run another course of the fluc pills.

Anyone else experienced this?

Ryanerickson
04-16-2017, 12:33 AM
My tank is still clear of the devil weed I ran the fluconazole for 14 days, how long did you run it in the tank for?

dcw1sfu
04-16-2017, 12:36 AM
My tank is still clear of the devil weed I ran the fluconazole for 14 days, how long did you run it in the tank for?

18 days before a water change.

GoFish
04-16-2017, 12:47 AM
Hmmm first I've heard. Been 2 1/2 months and haven't seen a speck in my tank.
A second dose should be ok. You're probably right, must've been some deeper roots it couldn't get at

dcw1sfu
04-16-2017, 01:22 AM
Hmmm first I've heard. Been 2 1/2 months and haven't seen a speck in my tank.
A second dose should be ok. You're probably right, must've been some deeper roots it couldn't get at

I'm going to give it a week. I want to make sure its actually bryopsis and not a green turf/hair algae. It's still thin but very dense right now so its hard to tell.

vanreefer
04-16-2017, 01:57 AM
I'm still bryopsis free... Been around 2 months.

crimper
04-16-2017, 02:54 AM
same here no more Bryopsis however battling nasty Dinos right now. :redface:

Frogger
04-16-2017, 03:17 AM
I have been bryopsis free for over 2 months, no sign of regrowth. This is my old tank, I am just waiting for the right time to tank the tank down and re-locate it downstairs to be a frag tank. I have done no maintenance on it other then the odd water change, My phosphate levels are through the roof and not a sign of algae growth.

This stuff didn't just slow it down it for me it completely rid the tank of any sign of the algae. I have had byopsis in this tank for 15 years before this.

stephane
04-19-2017, 07:15 PM
Any tip or help in getting those pill? did anyone find a way to get them i search but can't realy find

thank you

crimper
04-19-2017, 08:12 PM
Any tip or help in getting those pill? did anyone find a way to get them i search but can't realy find

thank you

This has been answered previously by Ryan, check post #87 :)

ReefMadness
04-20-2017, 12:53 AM
interesting.
i actually put an order in for fluconazole earlier today and am pleased to read how well it's been working.

corpusse
04-24-2017, 01:50 PM
So it's been 19 days and about 90% of my algae is gone. To be fair it wasn't the standard bryopsis. Perhaps a different strain or a hair / turf algae. Hard to pull out but not feathery.

Anyway I would like to turn my skimmer back on soon. I typically did do 10% water changes every week which I have not been doing during treatment. Tank is actually not suffering at all and I've had 0 losses but I will soon be doubling my bioload (current stock is only 4 chormis and clownfish in 112g).

To completely eliminate I can either wait longer, or dose again. Thoughts? Of course I would have preferred 100% effectiveness but I'm still very impressed with this treatment. Take for instance algae growing on sponges on the rock which if you were to pull out you'd take half the sponge with you. That algae is gone and the sponge not effected at all other than you can see it again.

Frogger
04-24-2017, 04:12 PM
Mine took a while to completely clear up. The one thing I did find was onc e the hair algae went the cyno kicked in. Probably all the nutrients from the dead algae had to go somewhere. If I were you I would turn my skimmer back on immediately to help export some of those nutrients. I would also hold off dosing again.

Just because the algae is still there is it actually growing actively like it did before. What you might find is the algae is still there but not growing and will eventually fade away into oblivion. Do you have any herbivores?

niQo
04-27-2017, 03:19 PM
I've been battling bryopsis for about 6 months although I'm pretty sure it's been in my tank much longer. It's not the feathery variety either, looks more like turf algae, but is definitely anchored in the rock.

I only have about 12 gallons, so I just need two pills! Anyone got some leftover? If not I'll buy some myself before transferring tanks!

Frogger
05-07-2017, 04:40 AM
3.5 months in and absolutely no bryopsis in the tank. No algae of any kind. Only some Cyno.

When I had bryopsis I was always battling phosphates. I had to use tons of gfo to control phosphates that were off the chart. Since I have rid the tank of bryopsis and the subsequent water changes my phosphates have been below .01ppm. I have not used gfo in 4 months. Nitrates are also at 0. I have a very low bio-load in this tank. Only a couple sps , several very large frogspawn one fish and 2 shrimp.

I used to always think that the phosphates was stored in the rocks and in the deep sand bed. It appears that the phosphates in the tank were stored in the algae in the tank. Once I rid the tank of the algae the phosphates are gone. This is good news because I was worried that I was going to have to take all the rocks and the sand out and cook the rocks to rid the tank of the phosphates.

Dendromad
05-07-2017, 03:14 PM
does this have any effect on bubble algae?

Etaloche
05-07-2017, 03:18 PM
does this have any effect on bubble algae?

I did not notice a change in bubble algae unfortunately.

niQo
05-07-2017, 06:38 PM
I used to always think that the phosphates was stored in the rocks and in the deep sand bed. It appears that the phosphates in the tank were stored in the algae in the tank. Once I rid the tank of the algae the phosphates are gone. This is good news because I was worried that I was going to have to take all the rocks and the sand out and cook the rocks to rid the tank of the phosphates.

I find that very interesting, and it makes sense to me as well.

ReefMadness
05-08-2017, 01:41 AM
3.5 months in and absolutely no bryopsis in the tank. No algae of any kind. Only some Cyno.
It appears that the phosphates in the tank were stored in the algae in the tank. Once I rid the tank of the algae the phosphates are gone. This is good news because I was worried that I was going to have to take all the rocks and the sand out and cook the rocks to rid the tank of the phosphates.
this was the case for me as well.
i loved reading about how my husbandry must be reckless, my bioload is too big or i feed too much. in fact, i am completely strict with my fish/coral keeping and take the hobby seriously... after all this stuff isn't cheap but sure can appear so when your tank is swarmed with problem algae.
i'm 9 days into treatment and am optimistic that it is going to work out fine from the progress to this point. pretty amazing stuff really.

One_Divided
06-02-2017, 10:46 PM
Hey guys, I thought I would share. I had my bryopsis return recently, so I decided to try the Fluc treatment too. I wasn't quite ready to order a huge batch to treat my 200 gallons, so I bought 2 150mg caps from the pharmacy to see if a small dose would do anything. The bryopsis I have is only in my 30 gallon frag tank connected to the 180 display. I decided to spot treat the bryopsis spots by basting the concentrated mixture (mixed with tank water) into the algae patches. I've gotta say, 5 days later and it's reduced by 75%. I can only imagine at this rate, it'll be gone in a few more days.

So if anyone is wondering if they really need 20mg/g, I'd say we can get away with far less. This was 1.5mg/g. Hard to say if the spot treating in the slightly isolated tank didn't help a lot though.

I will post pics soon. cheers!

dino
06-06-2017, 01:35 PM
Just purchased 20x200mg tabs think I only need to use 6 of these. Will post how it works once I recieve it and begin treatment.

hey dcw1sfu I wanted to message you but your inbox is full

dino
06-06-2017, 01:54 PM
if anyone has 10-11 pills let me know otherwise ill just order some

kengeroo
06-07-2017, 04:23 AM
so the drug wiped out the bryopsis in feb,,,

I have a couple of patches coming back.....

starting an experimental dosage plan...
65 gallon tank...

1 capsule a day for 6 days...

we'll see what happens... :)

Frogger
06-07-2017, 05:32 AM
I also started in February and have one small batch starting to come back, I will attend to it manually. For me it appears to have given me 4 months of protection.

Myka
06-07-2017, 02:20 PM
So does that just mean that you guys didn't take care of the cause, the root problem?

niQo
06-07-2017, 02:59 PM
I dosed 4 weeks ago. Now I may have a turf algae rather than bryopsis, but it has turned lighter in colour and on one rock it was eaten by my hermits. But I can already see it growing back on this rock and it did nothing for my GHA :(

Frogger
06-07-2017, 06:08 PM
So does that just mean that you guys didn't take care of the cause, the root problem?

I am not sure, I think algae growth is a very complex. I have kept my phosphate below .03ppm and nitrates have always been undetectable.

There has to be a source for the algae to grow. I have not added anything to my small tank since I started the treatment in February. I only have 1 small fish and a couple shrimp in the tank so I feed very light. I do regular water changes every couple weeks.

So in order for the algae to grow the fluconazole must not kill it only restrict its ability to grow and thrive under the current situation. I think this is the frustrating thing about Bryopsis, tank perimeters can be great yet it still grows. I have had it in this tank for at least 12 years.

tang daddy
06-07-2017, 06:47 PM
I am not sure, I think algae growth is a very complex. I have kept my phosphate below .03ppm and nitrates have always been undetectable.

There has to be a source for the algae to grow. I have not added anything to my small tank since I started the treatment in February. I only have 1 small fish and a couple shrimp in the tank so I feed very light. I do regular water changes every couple weeks.

So in order for the algae to grow the fluconazole must not kill it only restrict its ability to grow and thrive under the current situation. I think this is the frustrating thing about Bryopsis, tank perimeters can be great yet it still grows. I have had it in this tank for at least 12 years.

I feel you're talking about the bryopsis then yes it just sucks the nutrients out of the rock, why not remove the rock and replace with new rock?
It took me 2 times to kill the bryopsis that grew in my sump, first time I dosed 1/4 the suggested dose the last time I did full dose and less than a week it was gone, never came back.

Frogger
06-08-2017, 01:30 AM
I feel you're talking about the bryopsis then yes it just sucks the nutrients out of the rock, why not remove the rock and replace with new rock?
It took me 2 times to kill the bryopsis that grew in my sump, first time I dosed 1/4 the suggested dose the last time I did full dose and less than a week it was gone, never came back.

This is only my 40 gallon "quarantine tank" I plan on dismantling it and moving it downstairs to become my frag tank at some time in the near future. For now I just play with it trying different things. My new display tank has no bryopsis, I made sure of it when I set it up last year using all new rock.

dino
06-20-2017, 03:42 PM
did everyone have a good experience buying from payless pets? im waiting for mine but I have had two odd emails from them already. when I purchased it I never got any confirmation from them but they took my money so I emailed them and straightened that out. then they emailed me asking me what product I bought? huh you already took my money shouldn't you know?anyway still waiting for delivery how long did it take for you guys?

DKoKoMan
06-20-2017, 06:02 PM
did everyone have a good experience buying from payless pets? im waiting for mine but I have had two odd emails from them already. when I purchased it I never got any confirmation from them but they took my money so I emailed them and straightened that out. then they emailed me asking me what product I bought? huh you already took my money shouldn't you know?anyway still waiting for delivery how long did it take for you guys?

Seems a little sketchy IMO, unless they are using a third party for payment. Payment clearing without shipping notifications makes it seem not legit. Best of luck and hopefully all works out for you.

dino
06-20-2017, 10:47 PM
Time will tell. It would be nice to know others experiences

kengeroo
06-21-2017, 01:12 AM
received my order.. no issues..

Time will tell. It would be nice to know others experiences

niQo
06-21-2017, 01:37 AM
received my order.. no issues..

Same here. You should get a tracking nr. too

AquaAddict
06-21-2017, 03:52 AM
I have some extra capsules if anybody needs more.

AquaAddict

dino
06-27-2017, 12:00 PM
got mine today. time will tell how it does

Bblinks
06-27-2017, 05:16 PM
Started treatment last Thursday and its very promising right now. So far, no issues with all other live stock. bio-pellet still running and so is my chaeto reactor. All things considered it has been as expected. Can't wait to put my skimmer back online though, its still running without the cup, just a flipped cap to cover it up.

dino
06-28-2017, 10:04 PM
Skimmers still behaving normal. Noticing some change in colour. Everything's behaving normal as far as corals and livestock

Tyfighter
06-29-2017, 06:17 AM
I find it kills my chaeto just a heads up

ReefMadness
06-30-2017, 01:40 AM
Skimmers still behaving normal.
i'm not entirely understanding this comment but i'm under the assumption you just started treatment 2 days ago. if that is the case then you are doing your treatment a disservice by running that skimmer and are just pulling all the meds out of the water.

Etaloche
06-30-2017, 01:45 AM
I'm sad to report that traces of bryopsis is returning after about 3 months after treatment. I dosed 4 and half tabs in my 45 + 20 tank with about 50 total volume of water. My tank has gone through a lot of ups and downs with me travelling a lot lately and with the last slight fall in tank conditions I'm seeing traces of bryopsis returning. It would seem that all isn't eradicated with the treatment and under the right (or wrong) conditions bryopsis can return. I'm preparing for another treatment.

Bblinks
07-01-2017, 09:20 PM
I'm sad to report that traces of bryopsis is returning after about 3 months after treatment. I dosed 4 and half tabs in my 45 + 20 tank with about 50 total volume of water. My tank has gone through a lot of ups and downs with me travelling a lot lately and with the last slight fall in tank conditions I'm seeing traces of bryopsis returning. It would seem that all isn't eradicated with the treatment and under the right (or wrong) conditions bryopsis can return. I'm preparing for another treatment.

Thanks for the update, was thinking doing another dose back to back and manually clean up as much as I can during the next waterchange. See how it goes.

ramasule
07-03-2017, 06:56 PM
Works

Bblinks
07-03-2017, 07:48 PM
Works

How long has it been?

dino
07-05-2017, 06:54 PM
95% gone

Animal-Chin
08-15-2017, 03:31 PM
Gonna bump this back up. I'm hearing reports of this stuff killing hair algae too, any truth to this? After tanking my carbon dosing off line a few months ago my algae seems to be kicking in (nitrates are up to about 5 now) and I'm wondering if this stuff will help?

Etaloche
08-15-2017, 06:39 PM
Gonna bump this back up. I'm hearing reports of this stuff killing hair algae too, any truth to this? After tanking my carbon dosing off line a few months ago my algae seems to be kicking in (nitrates are up to about 5 now) and I'm wondering if this stuff will help?

It can help.... But I believe there are easier and more natural remedies for hair algae. Rather than dumping in medication that we don't fully understand how and why it kills bryopsis.

Etaloche
08-15-2017, 06:42 PM
I'm in my 2nd round of treatment.

45G + 20G sump

First treatment: 4.5 pills 3 months ago

Second treatment: algae started to grow back after about 2 months.

5 pills, partial wc after 2 weeks, add 5 more pills. Traces of bryopsis is gone again already but im really going to make sure there's no spores or eggs that might hatch later amd keep the med in the tank another month.

I wonder if repetitive unsuccessful treatments could one day lead to fluc immune bryopsis. Scary thought.

ReefMadness
08-16-2017, 03:33 AM
I wonder if repetitive unsuccessful treatments could one day lead to fluc immune bryopsis. Scary thought.
maybe... but consider that if it became immune to fluccanozole than we would be no different off than had we never used it to begin with.

Etaloche
08-16-2017, 03:44 AM
maybe... but consider that if it became immune to fluccanozole than we would be no different off than had we never used it to begin with.

Those were some dark days

dino
08-16-2017, 01:17 PM
I extended my water change schedule so the mediation was still in the tank but I was skimming. It got rid of everything only ill effects I see is my chaeto shrunk a lot

Animal-Chin
08-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Anywhere locally in the lower mainland to get it?

Animal-Chin
09-14-2017, 02:49 PM
Well my pills arrived in the mail this week. I'm scared...lol Other than a few really annoying patches of algae that consistently come back my tank is doing SOOOOO good right now. Amazing coral color and growth. I'm scared if I put this in something will happen...:(

What to do..........what to do...........

Frogger
09-14-2017, 04:45 PM
Its good to be scared and cautious. You have to decide if it is worth the risk or are you willing to live with what you have.

In my case it was a no brainer it was either treat or rip apart.

Well my pills arrived in the mail this week. I'm scared...lol Other than a few really annoying patches of algae that consistently come back my tank is doing SOOOOO good right now. Amazing coral color and growth. I'm scared if I put this in something will happen...:(

What to do..........what to do...........

albert_dao
09-14-2017, 05:49 PM
Treated in a system with tens of thousands of dollars worth of nice corals and anthias, no losses. Would do again in a heartbeat.

Animal-Chin
09-14-2017, 06:02 PM
Thanks Albert, that does make me feel a bit safer...

Frogger
09-14-2017, 07:38 PM
In my case because of the age of the system (15 years old) and the nutrients that were built up in the rock, deep sand bed and the heavy volume of algae once I got the Bryopsis under control I had a bad Cyno outbreak, Once I got the Cyno under control I had a bad Dino outbreak. To get the Dino under control I had to encourage the hair algae to grow. Of the 3 things the hair algae is the easiest. This transition took over 6 months to happen. Water changes didn't stop the transition and likely encouraged the Dino outbreak

In the end to fix the root of the problem I have to tear down the tank and start again. It is in the plans anyway.

Animal-Chin
09-22-2017, 08:20 PM
1 week in. Starting to see gha die off. Its browning and some areas that were not bad are clear now. No effect on coral or clams at all but happy to report none of my fish currently have yeast infections!

Nitrates have gone from 4 to 15 this week, turned skimmer back on...

Bblinks
09-22-2017, 10:22 PM
1 week in. Starting to see gha die off. Its browning and some areas that were not bad are clear now. No effect on coral or clams at all but happy to report none of my fish currently have yeast infections!

Nitrates have gone from 4 to 15 this week, turned skimmer back on...

I am glad all your fishes are fine...hahahaha

Animal-Chin
09-28-2017, 08:41 PM
Small update - First negative. The fluconazol did kill a nice sponge I had. Those who have been to J&L have seen the cube take before you enter the fish/coral area that has a lot of that deep purple plating sponge, well I bought a frag of it about a year ago and I'm guessing the sponge obsorbed the fluc and died.

Not a huge deal but Id remove sponges in the future if I ever get another...

Animal-Chin
10-05-2017, 09:25 PM
Ok, so in conclusion...

The fluconazole did not kill my GHA really at all. I went the full 14 days without a water change and the first 6 without any skimming. I'd read some post that it does kill GHA, some that it doesn't. It certainly did not kill it in my tank at all and I'm guessing the total lack of filtration made it grow even more because when I came back from a 5 day trip it was pretty out of control.

So if you were to ask me if it kills green hair algae, I would have to say no. If you asked if it kill sponge, I'd have to say yes.

Thats what I learned from my $50 14 day run with Flucanazole.

ReefMadness
10-06-2017, 12:24 PM
Ok, so in conclusion...

The fluconazole did not kill my GHA really at all. I went the full 14 days without a water change and the first 6 without any skimming. I'd read some post that it does kill GHA, some that it doesn't. It certainly did not kill it in my tank at all and I'm guessing the total lack of filtration made it grow even more because when I came back from a 5 day trip it was pretty out of control.

So if you were to ask me if it kills green hair algae, I would have to say no. If you asked if it kill sponge, I'd have to say yes.

Thats what I learned from my $50 14 day run with Flucanazole.
interesting.
are you a outside of a month since treatment? gha takes a lot longer to kill off than bryopsis does. in fact, i was probably saying the exact same things as you on week 3 then BOOM it all completely dissolved completely.

Animal-Chin
10-06-2017, 09:33 PM
So you went without filtration for a month? I only went 2 weeks before I did a water change. What did you do exactly?

thebrinc
10-30-2017, 11:19 PM
Hey Guys... any affordable options to get this stuff online other than payless pets? I need around 12 000mg for the 600g (and that's just DT volume).

That's a lot of yeast infections and I only got one wife to pick up my prescription ;p

I had 1 patch growing last month... now 6 and counting.

AquaAddict
10-31-2017, 02:53 AM
PM me. I have some left over that I don't need any more.

AquaAddict

GoFish
10-31-2017, 03:17 AM
Hey Guys... any affordable options to get this stuff online other than payless pets? I need around 12 000mg for the 600g (and that's just DT volume).

That's a lot of yeast infections and I only got one wife to pick up my prescription ;p

I had 1 patch growing last month... now 6 and counting.
So you need about 60 capsules? Payless was the best place I could find. Also tried thaipharmacy but they cancelled the order by the next day. There were some random sellers on eBay you could try? I think most were shipping out the UK though

thebrinc
10-31-2017, 04:47 AM
Thanks guys, I ended up ordering 60 from payless, will let you know how it goes!

The local pharmacy wanted $1400!!! Lol.

AquaAddict
11-03-2017, 10:16 PM
I still have 20 capsules left over that you can have at a 33 cents per capsule discount.

AquaAddict

thebrinc
11-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Thanks man, I’m good for now... already shipped mine.

1bigfish
11-16-2017, 09:19 PM
I just bought some fluconazole over the counter at the wal mart pharmacy. It is equate fluconazole 150, $13.75 for 10 capsules I believe. If anyone is wondering where to get it around here.
Please let me know if this is the wrong or right stuff, I plan on dosing On the weekend.

JamRobo
11-16-2017, 11:55 PM
I just bought some fluconazole over the counter at the wal mart pharmacy. It is equate fluconazole 150, $13.75 for 10 capsules I believe. If anyone is wondering where to get it around here.
Please let me know if this is the wrong or right stuff, I plan on dosing On the weekend.It will work but you would have saved money buying it online. And 1500mg enough to properly treat your tank?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

1bigfish
11-17-2017, 12:08 AM
Thanks for letting me know.
There was only 1 capsule, I thought it was 10. Me bad.
Definitely cheaper online, I will be ordering some online before I use it.

thebrinc
11-23-2017, 05:41 PM
I felt obliged to share some result-photos... 100% Bryopsis free!

I don't like resorting to chemicals on a reef but in this specific case I can't be happier. All fish, inverts, coral, nems and even more sensitive things like tunicates and gorgs are doing great.

So far so good!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/lwdfU4RptgpsuE4DaraI-FOyvbT_TAK__58LIFyF6sG9yOloc-Dn7oOTpnZkCU27wk-12jFyRbuKE7jUFMOZXst8Zg23TJwrMOa_F6Ss2mkTXDaB_mcnL QmbhEICbxO4TWwM55OBKdm81ShaxZ0DBiS-VdvU1fXl0iuKZ2AWlXyMf7i8L1_TebkceF26Wy37H_KNP13HUf sOgVddNgqQddO3m1GrSlQYhrud_G9FA3HwyNBqV8oIYnmWzzDr w5UCMz7rNkZmDG_DTCJBOCBQKpLPwZyKwV9YVqaJZ2iVR-JyDzbYkNpIHDWri4UrLWWkoV5w8uEG7svWZbFKQBd71hJjNJ5p zdCuFeg2_EYrDzuxh8916e9RTCbTj9ZYd-Vx4tzjv_k4jWMPylCrMoLAvLIYdfGOKiV_WgQdnDZrVsbAuxU4 x8OogO6R9IiDOLG_ycp0ywugJFz3u4l-WL4oK_KUFS67WJOEAl0s_2xbUqD7_gVomHGteqjDZgo726dxAb xy9nOTiwVrqLAlbJbRnNkocGjueSjKg-9srn_8w0X2Uu5kbzReMX_Z6izjCj_xEIq1036-QzJjG4WJr8Mx0wNdwv0iGe9r-7gU97f2ww=w1273-h969-no

1bigfish
11-23-2017, 09:33 PM
Glad it worked for you, I can't see the picture you posted though.
How much of a dose did you do?

thebrinc
11-23-2017, 11:15 PM
hmmm... not sure why they photo's no working.

I dosed 57 x 200mg caps... needed 3 for my frag tank.

Acartia
01-07-2018, 01:41 AM
I bought some from BigShow Frags in Hamilton and dosed 400 mg to my 20 gallon tank a week ago. Sadly, I haven’t seen any changes yet. No carbon and skimmer is off. The only thing I can think might be causing it is that temp is on low side 72F.

JamRobo
01-07-2018, 02:03 AM
I bought some from BigShow Frags in Hamilton and dosed 400 mg to my 20 gallon tank a week ago. Sadly, I haven’t seen any changes yet. No carbon and skimmer is off. The only thing I can think might be causing it is that temp is on low side 72F.Give it more time! if u did the dosing correctly it will work. Some systems take longer then others

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

1bigfish
01-07-2018, 04:43 AM
I bought some from BigShow Frags in Hamilton and dosed 400 mg to my 20 gallon tank a week ago. Sadly, I haven’t seen any changes yet. No carbon and skimmer is off. The only thing I can think might be causing it is that temp is on low side 72F.

Don't panic, I recently dosed a cycle of fluconazole, by day 9 I could see some melting away, by day 14 all alfae was gone. Worked amazing.

Acartia
01-12-2018, 11:41 PM
Day 13 and still plenty of green. Water change tomorrow and then a second dose.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/page-238
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/page-238

Corbin
01-14-2018, 01:24 AM
Day 13 and still plenty of green. Water change tomorrow and then a second dose.

hmm, i did 2 full doses, and didnt do a water change for a month. all gone.

make sure you got lots of snails to eat it up