PDA

View Full Version : material for reflectors

hockey nut
11-23-2004, 12:51 AM
I need to build a reflector for my 120 and was wondering what material was best to use? Aluminum or stainless steel. I have access to both .

any info would be appreciated

Rikko
11-23-2004, 02:37 AM
Stainless is nice but will likely corrode. There's a good thread on RC about it - I think there's only one "grade" of stainless that actually won't corrode under saltwater. Type 330? Does that sound remotely like a steel grade? Wish I had the link for ya.
Aluminum is pretty popular and from the sounds of it doesn't corrode all that fast (and is cheap enough to be disposable when it does). The metalworkers I've seen post have polished it themselves to get it reflecting well.

Richer
11-23-2004, 03:55 AM
There's a material you can get at hydroponics stores that is very shiny and sticky on one side. It would work quite well with DIY applications. I personally have never bought it before, but I have seen with. I believe it comes in rolls. Maybe someone else can help clarify.

-Richer

G1GY
11-23-2004, 04:43 AM
Is that material maybe called mylar? If so, it's the same type of material that they use in those realy shiney hellium balloons.

StirCrazy
11-23-2004, 05:11 AM
If you have access to SS and Aluminum see if you can get ahold of something called spectral aluminum this is what the profesional reflectors are made of and not that much more money. actualy it would probably be cheeper than either stanless or aluminum depending on the thickness.

Steve

Delphinus
11-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Is that material maybe called mylar? If so, it's the same type of material that they use in those realy shiney hellium balloons.

Mylar is basically plastic though. It would be OK for fluorescents, but I wouldn't use it for MH, too much heat. Also that stuff delaminates over time if exposed to a lot of humidity (I had a roll stored near a tank, I had to chuck it out as all the reflective material flaked off when I unrolled it).