PDA

View Full Version : Interesting read

Dearth
01-22-2017, 04:12 AM
Pulled this from R2R forum interesting read on bryopsis treatment

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/?utm_source=newsletter_1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=January_20_2017

GoFish
01-22-2017, 11:23 PM
I found an original thread on Fluconazole in a Brazilian forum, did some translating and posted it on RC a while ago. Wasn't able to source any locally through Vets, clinics, pharmacies...
I ordered some of that stuff this week from a link on another R2R thread, gonna try it out when it arrives.
Results may be blurred as I just started using Vibrant this week

Sounds/looks promising. Bye bye Bryopsis:)

rockworm
01-23-2017, 12:55 AM
I am glad you found the thread, translated it and posted it to RC. I dosed the fluconazale last night.

I used Vibrant but stopped after a major cyano outbreak. The cyabo does not happen to every tank and this is just my experience. I posted the following on R2R earlier this evening (slightly edited to remove reference to quoted member on R2R):

"I started using Vibrant about the same time (early November) to deal with similar issues. I had GHA, some bubble algae, a little dichtoya, and lots of bryopsis. I was aggressive with Vibrant for 6 weeks, dosing every three days. This wiped out all algae except the bryopsis. I backed off to dosing every 4 days in mid December because of a significant occurrence of cyano. By the end of December, I was losing corals to an imbalance in chemistry and smothering by cyano. I stopped Vibrant the first week of Jan. I waited a week and hit my tank with Chemiclean. This eliminated the cyano within 48 hrs. It was in early Jan that I read about fluconazale impact on Bryopsis. I ordered it and last night dosed it to my tank.

I read that it will take a few days before any impact was seen. To my surprise, the tips of the bryopsis, after 24 hrs, are turning white. I believe that the Vibrant has weakened the bryopsis in some form and has accelerated the fluconazale effect. I, like you, have been losing motivation because of the bryopsis. It is too early to tell what will happen but I am hoping to see the same results that other fluconazale users are seeing. "

I found an original thread on Fluconazole in a Brazilian forum, did some translating and posted it on RC a while ago. Wasn't able to source any locally through Vets, clinics, pharmacies...
I ordered some of that stuff this week from a link on another R2R thread, gonna try it out when it arrives.
Results may be blurred as I just started using Vibrant this week

Sounds/looks promising. Bye bye Bryopsis:)

GoFish
01-23-2017, 04:32 PM
^^^Let us know how the treatment goes....
That member on R2R just did an update. 6 days after only 1 dose = crazy!!

Delphinus
01-23-2017, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the update that he did an update :lol: I read through that thread at some point on the weekend and was kind of almost frustrated with the amount of cross-talk and chitter chatter, I forget what page it was that day 5 pictures were on, but at that point I couldn't even really see the difference. But his day 6 pictures, wow that is a difference!

Does anyone know if we as Canadians can easily get Fluconazole?

rockworm
01-23-2017, 06:25 PM
I bought mine at https://payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html. They come from the states and it took about 10 days.

Thanks for the update that he did an update :lol: I read through that thread at some point on the weekend and was kind of almost frustrated with the amount of cross-talk and chitter chatter, I forget what page it was that day 5 pictures were on, but at that point I couldn't even really see the difference. But his day 6 pictures, wow that is a difference!

GoFish
01-23-2017, 06:53 PM

Haha no problemo... I ordered some from payless-petproducts as well. Glad to know it made it across the border. Just checked USPS and my package got checked into Canada customs last night (ordered on the 18th)

tang daddy
01-23-2017, 07:17 PM
I skimmed through the thread... interesting and I would give it a shot!
While one dose of vibrant is taking care of the bubble algae it has only weekened the bryopsis, easier to pull off and remove.

Anyone else interested in ordering some of this fluco?

GoFish
01-23-2017, 07:24 PM
I ordered 60 capsules and only need 1 or 2 so will have lots left over if anyone needs any ... @ cost or trade for frags :) should be here any day

tang daddy
01-23-2017, 07:43 PM
I ordered 60 capsules and only need 1 or 2 so will have lots left over if anyone needs any ... @ cost or trade for frags :) should be here any day

Damn got trigger happy after posting and ordered 20, if I had seen your post I would've definately made the trip to North Van but it looks like I'll be heading to point Roberts yet again!

Bblinks
01-23-2017, 07:59 PM
Interesting for sure. Thanks for sharing.

rockworm
01-25-2017, 01:39 AM
I wanted to provide some visuals of what has happened. I used the same camera settings, same lighting and same time of day (did not even clean the glass, lol) because I wanted to show the change from yesterday to today. Yesterday, most of the tips were white. Today most all bryopsis is white. I am surprised how quickly this stuff works. I can see using a combination of Vibrant and Flucozonal to eliminate all algae. The only unknown is the long term effect on the reef.

Yesterday
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee482/reefmania59/Reef%20build/Jan_23_Bryop_zpsenjn1hhm.jpg~original

Today
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee482/reefmania59/Reef%20build/Jan_24_Bryop_zps53senpfx.jpg~original

Delphinus
01-25-2017, 03:53 PM
Think it would kill off chaeto?

DKoKoMan
01-25-2017, 04:25 PM
Whoa that's ridiculous! Definitely whitened up.