PDA

View Full Version : Well I think I just lost my entire tank

StirCrazy
11-22-2004, 08:48 PM
I did the swap out today but little did I realize that my heater stuck on in my frag tank that I moved all my corals to last night. I didn't realize this until I caught my fish and put them in so I could remove my sand bed and about 15 min later saw them floating.

My large Milli is gone as well as my deep water ARCO and some others.
the only fish to survive are the angel and fox face which I am giving away.

I quickly put water and everything back in the tank and put the corals that weren't already dead in and I am keeping my fingers crossed that some will make it.

Steve

Delphinus
11-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Oh my God Steve. :cry:

I'm so sorry ..... I don't know what to say.

muck
11-22-2004, 08:54 PM
Im sorry to hear about that Steve. :frown:
Kindof ironic that the angel and foxface survived.
Hope some of those beautiful corals battle back for you...

christyf5
11-22-2004, 09:29 PM
Oh man, thats terrible. I hope your corals make it :frown:

Christy

MitchM
11-22-2004, 09:48 PM
:frown:
Sorry to hear that. How heartbreaking..

I'll gladly donate some coral frags for a new set-up, if you're interested.

Mitch

Coldwater
11-22-2004, 10:26 PM
Ouch

Matt

Aquattro
11-22-2004, 10:33 PM
I gotta say, I've never seen such a mess. Pretty much all the corals are gone, maybe a few cap pieces left, and one or two birdsnest frags. Suprisingly, all the snails are still fine.

Like I said Steve, once you clear up the water, I have a couple of pieces to start you up with again.

Pretty sad day for Steve's tank...

Zerandise
11-22-2004, 10:33 PM
sorry to hear of your loss. I have a few shrooms and softies you are welcome to if your loss is as great as you fear. Please feel free to let me know if i am able to help.

danny zubot
11-22-2004, 10:46 PM
Total bummer :cry: Don't give up though.

StirCrazy
11-22-2004, 11:00 PM
thanks for the encouragement, I admit I was considering just tearing it down and going fresh water for a while.

I just took another 6 frags out and put them in the DNR pile, so I have two frags of ARCO, 2 birds nest (one tan from Emily and one pink) and a Orange cap that look like they might make it, and a brown/purple cap that I hope will make it but not looking good on that one.

I may once I get everything settled out be looking for frags to get from people who have gotten stuff from me lately but we will see.

as for fish I lost a yellow tang, 4 chromis and my Mandarin.

Steve

StirCrazy
11-22-2004, 11:02 PM
fox face was donated to the LFS.

Steve

AJ_77
11-23-2004, 01:43 AM
Man, that is just horrible - really sorry to hear of it.

Hope you can pull it back together. You've always seemed a fairly determined sort of person.

Samw
11-23-2004, 01:55 AM
Sorry for your losses Steve.

Could we learn from your experience by having you tell us what brand of heater and the size of the heater you used and what total volume of water you had?

I no longer use high powered Ebo Jagers because of failures that I have heard about. I use a low powered Tronic at this time.

StirCrazy
11-23-2004, 02:27 AM
Sorry for your losses Steve.

Could we learn from your experience by having you tell us what brand of heater and the size of the heater you used and what total volume of water you had?

I no longer use high powered Ebo Jagers because of failures that I have heard about. I use a low powered Tronic at this time.

I don't know the name of the heater now.. it was a titanium one, either 200 or 250 watts, and it was in the tank I set up for the corals and fish during the sand bed removal, which had about 20 gal of water in it.

Steve

props
11-23-2004, 02:58 AM
sorry to hear about your loses steve
let me know when you have your tank back up to normal again or when you come by lower mainland i'll have a frag pack ready for you
let me know before hand

EmilyB
11-23-2004, 03:48 AM
:eek: So sorry Steve...I never realized when I was bugging you about the viewer. :redface:

I don't think you will be without frags for long. :mrgreen:

Richer
11-23-2004, 03:54 AM
Wow, you have my condolences. The people who say that this hobby gets easier with time have surely never experienced what you have. Hope you and your tank recover quickly.

-Richer

Nemain
11-23-2004, 05:06 AM
Thats terrible :(

StirCrazy
11-23-2004, 05:08 AM
ok I just did a water test,

Nitrates 0
Alk 12.5
Mg 1050
Ca 300
Salinity was about 1.023 (just finnished adding a bit of salt mix to bring that up a tad)

I also brought up my Mg about 100 ppm and tomorrow I will adjust my Ca up to 400.

god I hate starting over with new water, why don't they just make a salt mix that has the right levels to start with :rolleyes:

Steve

Aquattro
11-23-2004, 05:14 AM
god I hate starting over with new water, why don't they just make a salt mix that has the right levels to start with :rolleyes:

Steve

I think it's called Kent.....

StirCrazy
11-23-2004, 05:22 AM

Steve

Oh ya bandwagon jumper :mrgreen: next thing you know you'll be using bio assy :eek:

I'll get 1/2 a cup from you (or what ever it is to make 1 gal) and test it.. I recall none of the companies were setting Mg levels right as it is one of the more expensive ingredients, but a couple companies have changed there formula sense then including IO. so I should do a side by side comparison between the two.

Steve

Aquattro
11-23-2004, 05:23 AM
Just come get some water from my bin. It's pre-made

Samw
11-23-2004, 05:28 AM
What bandwagon?

Oh ya bandwagon jumper :mrgreen: next thing you know you'll be using bio assy :eek:

StirCrazy
11-23-2004, 05:55 AM
What bandwagon?

its a joke. no bandwagon going by that I know of :smile:

Steve

Samw
11-23-2004, 06:25 AM
Oh, I thought maybe we got some new salt study result or something showing Kent to be the best salt.

hockey nut
11-23-2004, 06:33 AM
Sorry to hear about your tank. :frown:

Just bought a bucket of Kent. How much salt to water ratio? I doesn't mention what ratio to mix on the bucket. IO was 1/2 cup per gal. I'm guessing it would be the same?

Hang in there. Cheers

EmilyB
11-23-2004, 07:28 AM
:lol: Just get some Kent :mrgreen:

IslandReefer
11-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Wow!
When I talked to Steve today , he told me he had some losses, but I had no idea!
So calling ALL REEFERS, that have recieved frags and/or technical advice from our Lighting Guru....I know there is a LOT!, I'm one tooo.......
... especially those who have Steves frags, IT'S PAYBACK TIME!
In all seriousness, we would all lose if Steve :eek: went to freshwater, so lets help and repay his generosity.
Drop him a line with what you have and show him there is hope.
My tank is nothing like Steves and my "Great Death" this summer, almost had me crying-like-a-schoolgirl...TOUGH!
FWIW MHO
Chin-up catch'ya later

PS Brad only bought Kent 'cause it was cheap when we were at J&L :mrgreen:

Aquattro
11-23-2004, 02:45 PM
PS Brad only bought Kent 'cause it was cheap when we were at J&L :mrgreen:

Same price as IO, Johnny!! :biggrin:

StirCrazy
11-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Pictures added see this thread
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12524

Steve

StirCrazy
11-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Well took out 5 more corals and I am down to 4 frags left in the tank.

did a complete set of reedings and the tank is going through a cycle right now, amonia is just under toxic levels for my PH, nitrites are trace. so I guess I will test my amonia over the next few days and see how it goes. might be a week or so befor I can put anything back in the tank.

Steve

TANGOMAN
11-24-2004, 03:04 AM
Sorry to hear of your misfortune Steve. Once again, another "senior member" gets "slammed". :sad: . I hate to hear it but sadly enough it happens to the best. It shows we're all at the mercy of factors beyond our control. Be it a heater or an unknown toxin release...the list has potential to be endless. It's kinda' humbling... :sad:
Like we said to Tony when he had his recent disaster, the experience and knowledge of you guys, (and gals :wink: ), benefits so many of us that talk of the freshwater conversion is troubling...hang in there and build over.
Unfortunately I have little to offer to assist in rebuilding other than support, but peoples true colors really shine in times like these !

danny zubot
11-24-2004, 02:22 PM
but peoples true colors really shine in times like these !

I was very encouraged at the reponse from your fellow reefers on the west coast. It feels good to know that when something bad happens people will pool together to help. Its seems apparent now that Canreef is doing its job.

StirCrazy
11-24-2004, 02:34 PM
Just an update down to 2 frags left alive may be 3 cant tell on one for sure.

Once again I want to thank people for there concern. the tank is going through a full fledge cycle right now, what else would you expect after ~50lbs of coral dies in it :rolleyes: . but as of this morning the ammonia levels are starting to drop so the cycle is on the downward stretch.

for those that have offered frags, I thank you, but I won't betaking any at this time as I want the tank to Finnish cycling. also I don't want anyone to be insulted if I don't take them up on some of there offers, I am still amazed at the amount of support there is here. I am rethinking the direction of my tank .. coral wise.. as because of the loss I can :mrgreen: so I might be a little more picky in the types and such of corals I get in order to match my new vision of my tank to be.