PDA

View Full Version : Timed outlets?

Myka
01-19-2017, 01:09 PM
Hey guys,

I ordered an ATI fixture, and didn't realize that some models don't come with a built-in timer. It's a 6-bulb, so it has 2 channels, and also fans. I would like it to be digital because I want CH1 to be off while CH2 is running because this tank doesn't need all 6 bulbs running at the same time. The fans need to run the whole time.

Anyone know something besides a controller that will do this? I imagine these fixtures were designed with a controller in mind...

sick lid
01-19-2017, 01:43 PM
Hi Mindy, I am using a bunch of these coralife digital timers and they work well. 2 day and 2 night plug ins and 4 constant power plugs. https://www.coralifeproducts.com/product/power-management/

Myka
01-19-2017, 02:34 PM
Thank you. I do have a few of those as well except they're Woods brand. The trouble with that one is that all 4 outlets are set at the same time and I want to put 3 different programs in.

Galizio
01-19-2017, 03:52 PM
Yes those ati fixture have 3 plugs so pretty much have to get a single timer for each.
I use apex controller, but a cheaper solution could be a reef keeper lite or an apex jr, as every single timer could cost 10-20$, and also they take lots of room on an multi outlet plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReefMadness
01-19-2017, 04:10 PM
interesting. i run an ati 8x54w that has a timer built in but it's also a dimmable.

kaboom
01-19-2017, 04:44 PM
Been using single plug mechanical timers ($10) for years and I find them to be the most reliable for on and off function. Accuracy is not the best but don't really it that precisely. Digital timers are good for that but if you have a power outage it doesn't retain the program and you must reset, whereas the mechanical ones just keeps on ticking when power resumes. If power outage is only if a few minutes, the timer would resume and your light schedule would only be a few minutes behind. Great piece of mind when you're away for days at a time. Digital is great for programming but not if you have regular power outages. Mechanical ones are very durable, most of mine are over ten years old.

sparkeysplace
01-19-2017, 04:59 PM
Hey Mindy, look into the Belkin WeMo wireless switches. They are a little on the expensive side, about 40 bucks but I think you can have them come on and off as many times as you want in a day, and you can also control them from any where with a smart phone.

sparkeysplace
01-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Sorry Myka, dunno where Mindy came from. I can't even blame auto correct for that one!

sphelps
01-19-2017, 07:27 PM
Lots of home automation options available, you could use a set of smart plugs that would allow you to setup timers from your smart phone or device. This way the time should always match between the plugs and the setup is a bit more organized and easier to manage.

Alternatively two digital timers are the obvious option here, not sure what kaboom is on about but all the digital timers I've ever had maintain memory during power outages. For the fans you could use a simply relay circuit to avoid an additional timer.

sphelps
01-19-2017, 07:44 PM
Cheap smart plug option
http://r.ebay.com/hxyw4u
Or multi outlet
http://r.ebay.com/4RU3pw

WarDog
01-19-2017, 08:32 PM
Sorry Myka, dunno where Mindy came from. I can't even blame auto correct for that one!

Myka is Mindy. Mind blown.

elitesurfer
01-19-2017, 08:44 PM
Alternatively two digital timers are the obvious option here, not sure what kaboom is on about but all the digital timers I've ever had maintain memory during power outages. For the fans you could use a simply relay circuit to avoid an additional timer.

I think they have a small battery for the exact purpose of saving the memory even when the power strip is turned off.

01-20-2017, 01:17 AM
I use wemo on my tank. Its pretty handy you can program what ever you like and controll it from any where.

Myka
01-20-2017, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'll look into these tomorrow. :)

sparkeysplace
01-20-2017, 06:03 AM
I knew I saw Mindy somewhere. Maybe mind isn't blown after all!

DKoKoMan
01-20-2017, 07:00 AM
Make sure to post a photo of the light and FTS :mrgreen:

Myka
01-20-2017, 12:03 PM
interesting. i run an ati 8x54w that has a timer built in but it's also a dimmable.
I have a dimmable over my own tank too with built-in timer. I thought they all came with timers. I've not seen one without before. Surprise surprise...

Galizio
01-20-2017, 02:01 PM
I have a dimmable over my own tank too with built-in timer. I thought they all came with timers. I've not seen one without before. Surprise surprise...

I think the only one with build in timer is the dimmable unit.
I had powermodule and sunpower(not dimmable) and they both have 3 power cord and no timer or anything, always had to hook up to controller...
hopefully they start to put timers in all the new unit, especially when pay that price...

Myka
01-20-2017, 05:56 PM
hopefully they start to put timers in all the new unit, especially when pay that price...

Ain't that the truth!

Potatohead
01-20-2017, 08:28 PM
I got a timer off Amazon for about $25 that had two grounded outlets that are both controlled seperately, and then I use another basic timer for the fan and keep it on 10 minutes after the last bulbs go off.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00FAJO8BI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The picture there is actually older too the one that came for me has little LED's that tell you when the plug is on.