PDA

View Full Version : Venturi or Spray Injection?

newsaltfan
01-18-2017, 04:11 PM
So I'm trying to decide on a skimmer for an upcoming build. water volume in the system will be approx. 150 gallons.

My options so far are a Precision Marine Bullet 1 or an Aqua C EV 180.

I'm looking to go this route because I have an extremely over sized return pump that I can easily bleed off enough water to run these skimmer styles.

also pondered ETSS versions as well but it seams that they require much more pressure than either the PM or the Aqua C.

Just looking for thoughts on these potential options.

Thanks

WarDog
01-18-2017, 06:41 PM
For the love of all things holy DO NOT use the Aqua C ev180. I had one and its a terrible design. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't live in 1998 or earlier.

Fishman
01-19-2017, 08:23 PM
For the love of all things holy DO NOT use the Aqua C ev180. I had one and its a terrible design. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't live in 1998 or earlier.

Curious as to the issues you had with the AquaC EV180?

WarDog
01-19-2017, 09:32 PM
The air can only escape through the drain port.

Ryanerickson
01-19-2017, 09:54 PM
They both look like there straight outta the 80s are either of these skimmer any good compared to today's skimmers? Or are these newer designs that just look ancient.

Fishman
01-19-2017, 09:58 PM
The air can only escape through the drain port.

Assuming no John Guest fitting? I've been running an EV1000 (c/w 2 John Guest fittings which allows additional air release if desired) on my 375 gallon tank for just over 5 years and quite honestly, have had no issues ... and virtually no maintenance. That said, I'm totally unfamiliar with the EV 180 design.

spit.fire
01-20-2017, 12:31 AM
They both look like there straight outta the 80s are either of these skimmer any good compared to today's skimmers? Or are these newer designs that just look ancient.

maybe compare to a coralife lol, i ran a bullet 3 on my 300gallon, my omega 150 out skimmed it any day

whatcaneyedo
01-20-2017, 01:30 AM
I paid $100 for a used Bullet 3 a few years back and then another $200 I think for an Iwaki 70. Together its still the skimmer I use on my 325gal system. Eventually I'll replace it with a modern external pin wheel. The Reef Octopus that I've been looking at will cost around $1100 but I wont spend that until I've switched from my old MH to LED. However thats another $4400 if I go Radion. In other words these old technologies still have usefulness and can be purchased for peanuts if you can find them used. For instance I bought a spare Lumenmax 3 pendant with ballast and 6 month old bulb for $50 last year in pristine condition...

The bullet skimmers work okay but they're loud, tall, spit a lot of micro bubbles and require too much electricity. Dez has/was using a Bullet 3 as well. If you do a search you should be able to find out more from him.

I don't have a very high opinion of Aqua C. I used to use an Aqua C Urchin Pro on a 50gal and then 25gal. It wasn't the worse skimmer I've ever used but not very good either.