PDA

View Full Version : Best Use of Reef Roids/Reef Chili

ReefMadness
01-12-2017, 01:25 AM
hey guys,
first post here so i'd like to say hello, give a brief introduction of my system and ask a quick question.
i started keeping fish 30 years ago but didn't enter reef-keeping until january 5th of 2016 when i filled a newly bought standard 120 and it wasn't until mid-march before i added my first fish. i am fortunate to have a fantastic lfs locally with colby and gustavo at bayside corals in Saskatoon and i have since been incrementally been adding coral and fish ever since.
one year later i have a fairly decent sized collection of corals with an emphasis focused on zoanthids and acropora.
i bought reef roids soon after buying my first corals but have only really ever used them a few times as i wasn't comfortable with the lack of understanding how much to use and how they'd best be implemented.
now to my question... after a few attempts at diluting the mixture into a couple ounces of water and using a baster to point-feed my zoas i found some rejected the mixture and some seemed non-reactive. is this product designed to be simply added to the water column or is it best directed to individual colonies as i had been? also how much is appropriate for each feeding?
thank you in advance for your advice

DKoKoMan
01-12-2017, 07:35 AM
I have only used Reef Roids for my LPS. I have found that my zoas are always happy just feeding within the water column.

Myka
01-12-2017, 01:27 PM
I've used it to feed my Acros, they have a great response to it. The trick is to feed it at night when the feeding polyps are out. I mix it with water in a shot glass and then add it to my tank after lights out. I would recommend using MUCH less than what the container says. I use 1/4 tsp in 70-gallon display.

Potatohead
01-12-2017, 02:28 PM
Agree with above, I typically leave all pumps and skimmer on but pull my filter sock for the night. If too have feed mode on your equipment for a few minutes that probably works too.