PDA

View Full Version : Are clowns stupid, or what?

Bob I
11-21-2004, 01:03 AM
Clownfish are very engaging, but they are not really bright. The following pictures show one of my Ocellaris still hosting with the Closed Brain even though the RBTA has been a couple of inches away for more than a week. BTW the other clown is off on a trip as I was taking the pictures. :mrgreen:
http://members.shaw.ca/rcipema/clownone.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/rcipema/clowntwo.jpg

Beverly
11-21-2004, 02:33 AM
I rearranged our 67g zoo tank the other day. Also in this tank is a Euphillia, like a frogspawn, but with hammer-shaped ends. The two skunk clowns have taken to this coral as their host. During the rearrangement, I moved the Euphillia to the other side of the tank and left a large rock of zoos in its place. Dang, if the skunks didn't hang around that zoo rock for several hours before they realized where their host went :lol: It was so funny to watch the female go to the Euphillia, but return time after time to the zoo rock when her mate wouldn't follow her. It was almost like watching Lassie bark at her master to follow her, but the master wouldn't listen :lol: :mrgreen:

Then in our 37g, there are a pair of ocellaris that won't host in anything in the tank :sad: They just hang out together all day, then in the evening spit water out of the tank so it runs down the back of the tank :fadein:

Give your clowns some time, boB. If you really want to get them to host in the RBTA, remove or move their other host.

Very nice RBTA, btw :cool: Kinda wish I had one :sad:

Ryan
11-21-2004, 06:02 AM
In the book clownfish by joyce D Wilkerson it states that clowns have to get used to the anemones sting maybe he takes the occasional dash in there to get used to the sting give them time.

pocilipora
11-21-2004, 04:09 PM
The rose is not their natural host, but neither is the brain... :rolleyes: may take some time if at all.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-22-2004, 07:29 AM
My pair have 5 different BTA clones to choose from, 1 inch - 3 inches. What do they do? Swim in the top third of the tank all day without going near any anemones :rolleyes: Almost 1 month already, but if they never do host an anemone, that's their right I guess. When I turkey-baste food into the anemone, the clowns will even swim in to steal food, but that's about the only time they even look at them.

danny zubot
11-22-2004, 10:35 PM
My Ocellaris pair only pay attention to my BTA at night when they are sleeping. They take turns kicking each other out of bed. :lol:

brownd1
11-23-2004, 03:50 PM
My Ocellaris pair took at least three months before they hosted in my rbta

they just hung out on one side of my 50 gal tank

Now they won't wander far from rbta

have patience

Bob I
11-25-2004, 02:54 AM
Well the beauty of all this is that the RBTA is settling in nicely. It gets bigger every day. Every Sunday I feed it a nice chunk of frozen Krill. When the clowns are ready, the RBTA will be ready. But now I am sorry I did not put it in with my true percs in another tank. :biggrin:

Beverly
11-25-2004, 03:00 AM
When it splits, maybe the clone can go in with your percs :cool: