PDA

View Full Version : calcium reactor

mrcopitr
11-21-2004, 12:44 AM
Hi,

I'm currently thinking of adding a calcium reactor on my 90 gal reef. I currently dose esv 2 part solutions, and add kalk in the top off water. But my ph swing are causing me to think of the calcium reactor to correct this situation.

I would like your comments on the best system vailable on the market (i.e Knop Koralin, Precision Marine, canreef etc.), and I read from time to time that some reefers continue to dose Kalk with the calcium reactor, is that a common practice.

Hoping to read you soon,

Best regards

Marco
Shediac,New Brunswick

Justin
11-21-2004, 03:39 AM
Ocean Aquatics. All there is to know.

Lots of people still dose Kalk after they have added a Calcium reactor.

Snoop Dog
11-21-2004, 04:04 AM
I have a 90 gallon as well and a reactor from ocean aquatics, best unit for the price. As far as aditional supplements, I find the reactor more then keeps up with the demands of the tank,

Zerandise
11-21-2004, 12:01 PM
cant go wrong with oceanaquatics. My skimmer and kalk reactor are coming from them. Nothing but A+ work from Jack.

trilinearmipmap
11-21-2004, 09:35 PM
I have a 120 gallon reef, mixed LPS and softies, currently have a kalk auto-topoff.

Is there any benefit to adding a calcium reactor for this system? SPS just don't interest me, I don't see what all the hoopla is about.

Delphinus
11-21-2004, 10:00 PM
If you find your Ca/Alk levels maintain at where you want them to be using just the kalk reactor then you don't really "need" a calcium reactor. I think the point where you want to consider a Ca reactor is when you find yourself having levels that don't maintain without you having to adjust things manually. Depends on your calcium draw. Most things will impact Ca & Alk to some degree but some more than others. Anyhow, HTH.

StirCrazy
11-21-2004, 11:03 PM
If you find your Ca/Alk levels maintain at where you want them to be using just the kalk reactor then you don't really "need" a calcium reactor. .

I find just Kalk doesent do squat for my Alk. it keeps my Ca at about 400 but I have an ever ending battle maintaining Alk, this is why I chose to run both and as soon as I get time building a new Ca reactor to replace the one I broke. :rolleyes:

Steve

Jaws
11-22-2004, 04:28 PM
cant go wrong with oceanaquatics. My skimmer and kalk reactor are coming from them. Nothing but A+ work from Jack.

I second that. Jack has built me a Skimmer and a dual chamber Ca Reactor and they both look awesome.

wayner
11-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Do a search on SCHURAN over at Reef Central, this Reactor seems to be latest & greatest thing.

wayner
11-22-2004, 05:00 PM
Here's the link to it at Premium Aquatics:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SCH-JET1&Category_Code=creactor

Delphinus
11-22-2004, 05:16 PM
If you find your Ca/Alk levels maintain at where you want them to be using just the kalk reactor then you don't really "need" a calcium reactor. .

I find just Kalk doesent do squat for my Alk. it keeps my Ca at about 400 but I have an ever ending battle maintaining Alk, this is why I chose to run both and as soon as I get time building a new Ca reactor to replace the one I broke. :rolleyes:

Steve

LOL, technically you haven't disagreed with a thing I said. I said "IF" you find your Ca/Alk level maintain, then you don't need anything more. But since you don't have levels that maintain, THUS, you do need a reactor. QED.

It really all depends on your load/draw.

I agree, in my case I couldn't maintain Alk at all with just a kalk reactor. But there are systems out there where people claim a kalk reactor does just fine. It's just that you & I are not among that group. :razz:

wayner
11-22-2004, 06:03 PM
Here's the link to the thread at Reef Central

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=397189&highlight=schuran