ammonia: off the chart
SG: 1.024

I tested the water again today (Nov. 20) and here's what I got:
pH: 7.5
nirtate: 10
nitrite: 2.0
ammonia: 0
SG: 0.023

I have been doing 1/4 water changes twice a week. I'm really glad my ammonia is down, I got some purigen from AI so I think that helped. My nitrate and nitrite levels were perfect, but now that the ammonia is down, they've gone up. Will they just go back down in time? I'm also concerned about the pH level. How can I raise the pH? Is it safe to add pH up to the water?

Aquattro
11-20-2004, 05:55 PM
Yes, those levels will go down. So far, they are following the correct pattern. First you get lots of NH3, then it's converted to NO2 (nitrite), tehn NO3 (nitrate). Now that you have a full compliment of bacteria converting ammonia to nitrate (evidenced by the lack of NH3), you'll need to grow the bacteria tht convert all the NO2 to NO3. This happens on it's own, so you just need to watch.
Just leave the tank until the NO2 is at zero, then do another small water change. Over the next 4 to 6 weeks, you should also see your NO3 drop to zero, assuming enough rock and/or sand.
NO2 is still toxic to most critters, so avoid adding much until it's gone. NO3 is less harmful, so you can start (slowly) adding things once the nitrite is zero.

BMW Rider
11-20-2004, 07:51 PM
I have found that once the ammonia is zeroed and the nitrites are dropping off, the cycle is well on it way and will finish fairly quickly. I'd still wait until the nitrites are unreadable or nearly so before adding any livestock. I wouldn't panic on the Ph too much until it is fully cycled. Once things have settled down, do a large water change to help get rid of the nitrates, then add buffer if needed to raise the Ph. While the rock is curing and the tank is cycling, messing with additives is really pointless because the system isn't stable yet anyway.

I have some LR curing for my FOWLR tank that I got with the bulk shippment from J&L, and it is at about the same stage as yours. I don't plan to add it into the tank until I am certain it is fully cured since the tank has livestock in it that I don't want to put at risk. I expect it will be at least a couple more weeks, if not longer.

Just have patience and enjoy the process. Its actually fun to watch for hitch hikers that should be starting to appear soon.

jess128
11-20-2004, 10:45 PM
I've seen a few hitchhikers. A lot of peanut worms and a few bristleworms. That's all so far. I'm getting a bit anxious now, I've been getting the tank ready since last april, so I'm ready for some fish! I can wait though, but not 6 weeks. What's this buffer that should help with the pH?

Bob I
11-21-2004, 12:28 AM
I've seen a few hitchhikers. A lot of peanut worms and a few bristleworms. That's all so far. I'm getting a bit anxious now, I've been getting the tank ready since last april, so I'm ready for some fish! I can wait though, but not 6 weeks. What's this buffer that should help with the pH?

If you have been getting it ready since April you should be ready for some occupants. :biggrin:

sumpfinfishe
11-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Jess,
Keep the patience your tank is almost there :biggrin:
As Brad and Ed mentioned above, there's no point in adding anything to your tank which means not just fish and corals, but also additives too until everything is fully cycled.

When all is zero, you can then work on making sure your PH and Alk are up to good level's. I use Kent's line of additives and have found them to be the best dissolving and most effective additives on the market.
When using Alk and PH buffers you have to be careful to follow the directions to the tee, as an overdose by one extra teaspoon can cause drastic results. Alway's dilute the buffers in some top up water or tank water, even when adding to the sump. Then wait at least a few hours before testing your levels, allowing everything to mix properly.

Example: when I was in my first year of reefing my PH dropped below 7.5 so I added two spoons of buffer at once, due to this quick increase, both my cleaner shrimps molted within an hour and the next day both of them had died. The trick with buffer's is to add a little re-test then wait then add a little more until desired levels are reached slowly.

Like the saying goes:most good things in a reef take time, it's usually the bad things that happen fast

jess128
11-22-2004, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll just keep doing my water changes and see how it goes. I guess I'll work on my aquascaping while I wait for those nitrate and nitrite levels to go down.

-Jess