PDA

View Full Version : Coral dip

sobe
01-03-2017, 10:38 PM
Hi there,

Just wanted to inquire what most of you use for dipping newly bought coral that is going to your tank?

I have Revive and also Furan 2 any thoughts on just using Furan on chalices or recordeas as it might be less stressful to the coral than revive? since its only antimicrobial and antifungus only apparently people have success stunning unwanted hitchhikers as well that it falls off the coral

Thanks

Myka
01-04-2017, 03:15 AM
I use Bayer insecticide.

iamfrontosa
01-04-2017, 05:18 AM
Bayer

dcw1sfu
01-04-2017, 05:34 AM
Bayer for me as well.

After dipping just dilute it more with water to see if pests have fallen off.

sobe
01-04-2017, 08:34 AM
Do you gals/guys remove the frag coral off plugs?I understand Sps and some lps can be removed from a rock, What about corals, mushrooms, zoas is attached to a LR especially if it is a large colony?

Myka
01-04-2017, 12:38 PM
Do you gals/guys remove the frag coral off plugs?I understand Sps and some lps can be removed from a rock, What about corals, mushrooms, zoas is attached to a LR especially if it is a large colony?

My tank only has 4 or 5 LPS. For LPS I trim off any rock, and trim any skeleton back as far as I can before dipping in Bayer. For SPS I remove the plugs, dip, and put on new plugs. I have a separate rinse bucket after dipping. Also, for everything dipped in Bayer I have a 5-gallon quarantine tank that I put everything in for 24 hours after dipping. I drop about 50 mL of carbon pellets in the bottom of the QT too. Randy Holmes-Farley mentioned that carbon will absorb the listed ingredients that are left over, but there are some unlisted ingredients that are unknown.

iamfrontosa
01-04-2017, 04:05 PM
I don't remove frags off the plug. If its the plug with stem, I just clip off the stem with a coral clip. Dip the coral, and glue it onto a bigger coral disk if I need to. For larger colonies, I always tried to dip the whole piece. Then, I just rinse and put in my main tank. I have no QT tank.

I never had any corals died on me with Bayer, and I never followed instruction (on youtube).

warriorcookie
01-05-2017, 12:29 AM
I use coral RX, but would love to get some Bayer too.

I always cut the plug and any dead skeleton. I quarantine now too so I can do multiple dips.

Here's a great video on it: BRS: The 4 stages of competence... (https://youtu.be/ZV9a25GQ7fk)

And another on the nitty gritty: BRS: Using Bayer as a coral dip (https://youtu.be/iCAY9ljsMWE)

01-05-2017, 01:15 AM
I use bayer and iodine dips.

Trigger Man
01-05-2017, 07:58 PM
Where are you guys buying Bayer at? I was using it in the States, but have not been able to find it for sale in Calgary. I really liked it and had great results.

iamfrontosa
01-05-2017, 08:00 PM
Amazon

Coasting
01-05-2017, 08:05 PM
I have 2 bottles of bayer i can sell or split up and sell or ship. Wont be needing it for awhile and i can always get more next time Im in the states.

sobe
01-08-2017, 12:58 AM
Cool thanks all for the input. I am new to this dipping thing as I havent brought in any corals or livestock in the last 8 years. Just started getting corals again in the last month or so.

Will use up my bottle of Revive until it's finished and will try Bayer and setup a Q tank for incoming frags. As mostly they go directly to my display after I have dipped them