PDA

View Full Version : Aquaforest reef salt (non-probiotic)

patpare
12-31-2016, 01:02 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone on canreef has had any issu's with this salt or did I get get a bad batch👎

I'm asking this question due to me losing all of my sps's when I switched over from RC to Aquaforest!

Myka
12-31-2016, 01:05 PM
What happened? Which salt did you use before? Alkalinity is lower in this salt than many others. Have you experienced an alkalinity swing?

I know dozens of people using this salt. I've gone through 4 buckets myself.

warriorcookie
12-31-2016, 02:36 PM
wow.

Did you test the salt for Ca, Alk and Mg after mixing the first time? What were the results?

What are your tank params at now?

What salt were you using before?

Are you sure they're lost and not just bleached?

Ryanerickson
12-31-2016, 02:56 PM
Salt works great for me and others I know. Actually I highly recommend it. Mixes great and my hand no longer crack apart and dry out when I put them in the water.

GoFish
01-02-2017, 11:36 PM
How many water changes, what percent was changed at a time, and over the course of how many days/hours did it take for you to make the switch?

DKoKoMan
01-03-2017, 04:49 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone on canreef has had any issu's with this salt or did I get get a bad batch👎

I'm asking this question due to me losing all of my sps's when I switched over from RC to Aquaforest!

This makes me nervous as I was looking at making the switch from Reef Crystals when I transfer over to the 150g as the price is comparable. I'm interested to find out what parameter was greatly effected to cause the SPS loss.

WarDog
01-03-2017, 05:10 AM
This makes me nervous.

Don't be. It's a great salt.

Myka
01-03-2017, 01:43 PM
FWIW, I haven't cracked a pail from the salt that came from the Canadian Distributor, I just finished my last pail from Amazon, so these would be different batches. I have a pail of Probiotic for my own tank from the Canadian Distributor that I'll be using as soon as I do a waterchange. I am also doing a new tank install on Friday and I'll be using a pail of Reef Salt also from the Canadian Distributor for that. I'll let you know how that goes! :eek: :p

Pat, where did you get your salt? Amazon or a Canadian retailer? What is the batch number and date of manufacture of your salt? You'll find this info on the "Quality Certificate" in the pail.

DKoKoMan
01-03-2017, 01:49 PM
Well I won't rule it out.

Skimmer Juice
01-03-2017, 03:35 PM
reef crystals is usually pretty high in parameters so easy to cause a swing if doing a large water change with a new salt.

Reef Supplies
01-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Pat, where did you get your salt? Amazon or a Canadian retailer? What is the batch number and date of manufacture of your salt? You'll find this info on the "Quality Certificate" in the pail.

+1

smitas5
01-22-2017, 03:55 AM
FWIW, I haven't cracked a pail from the salt that came from the Canadian Distributor, I just finished my last pail from Amazon, so these would be different batches. I have a pail of Probiotic for my own tank from the Canadian Distributor that I'll be using as soon as I do a waterchange. I am also doing a new tank install on Friday and I'll be using a pail of Reef Salt also from the Canadian Distributor for that. I'll let you know how that goes! :eek: :p

So wait,
Since when is it important where the salt id from and what batch it is? Shouldn't it be consistent? or very close to it?
I'm also thinking of switching, but feedback is very different. How do you know?

shiftline
01-22-2017, 05:05 PM
I'm curious to follow along as I was thinking of swapping from reef crystals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myka
01-22-2017, 05:08 PM
So wait,
Since when is it important where the salt id from and what batch it is? Shouldn't it be consistent? or very close to it?
I'm also thinking of switching, but feedback is very different. How do you know?

Salt mixes are always made in batches, and if there is a problem, it is usually limited to a batch. I was just pointing out the fact that I'm probably not using the same batch that Pat is.

Some people are having issues with Aquaforest, and from what I've seen these issues all have (at least) one or two things in common: the tanks are not being dosed "big three" regularly, and they are coming off a high alkalinity salt mix. These two commonalities are significant because if someone is using a high alkalinity salt mix, and NOT dosing the tank, they are relying on water changes using the high alkalinity salt mix to maintain alkalinity. If these people switch to a salt mix that has 3-4 dKH lower alkalinity, and they continue to NOT dose their tank, the alkalinity will fall in the tank. Low alkalinity + LPS = bad (in general).

Aquaforest is NOT a good brand of salt mix to use if you are not dosing your tank IMO. AF is not designed to "bump alkalinity up" during water changes. IMO, a person should pick a salt mix that is compatible with the husbandry techniques s/he is employing. I would not use AF salt mixes on a tank that is not getting daily doses of alkalinity (either manually or via doser), UNLESS you add alkalinity to the newly mixed saltwater to increase alkalinity to 10-11 dKH as in mixes like Instant Ocean and H2Ocean. Aquaforest salt mixes are good for people who DO dose their tanks, and want to keep natural seawater parameters.

Myka
01-22-2017, 05:09 PM
I'm curious to follow along as I was thinking of swapping from reef crystals.

Do you use a doser? Do you rely on water changes to maintain alkalinity?

smitas5
01-22-2017, 05:25 PM
I do dose and thats why the salt did draw my attention. Anybody using AF long enough to see how different batches differ? is it neglectable?

smitas5
01-22-2017, 05:28 PM
Salt mixes are always made in batches, and if there is a problem, it is usually limited to a batch. I was just pointing out the fact that I'm probably not using the same batch that Pat is.

Some people are having issues with Aquaforest, and from what I've seen these issues all have (at least) one or two things in common: the tanks are not being dosed "big three" regularly, and they are coming off a high alkalinity salt mix. These two commonalities are significant because if someone is using a high alkalinity salt mix, and NOT dosing the tank, they are relying on water changes using the high alkalinity salt mix to maintain alkalinity. If these people switch to a salt mix that has 3-4 dKH lower alkalinity, and they continue to NOT dose their tank, the alkalinity will fall in the tank. Low alkalinity + LPS = bad (in general).

Aquaforest is NOT a good brand of salt mix to use if you are not dosing your tank IMO. AF is not designed to "bump alkalinity up" during water changes. IMO, a person should pick a salt mix that is compatible with the husbandry techniques s/he is employing. I would not use AF salt mixes on a tank that is not getting daily doses of alkalinity (either manually or via doser), UNLESS you add alkalinity to the newly mixed saltwater to increase alkalinity to 10-11 dKH as in mixes like Instant Ocean and H2Ocean. Aquaforest salt mixes are good for people who DO dose their tanks, and want to keep natural seawater parameters.
I understand the potential of not testing your water in the tank or in freshly mixed bucket, but maybe not testing the freshly mixed water was my issue afterall?

Myka
01-22-2017, 07:37 PM
I do dose and thats why the salt did draw my attention. Anybody using AF long enough to see how different batches differ? is it neglectable?

They vary a bit, about as much as any other salt mix. Maybe 0.5 dKH alkalinity and 20 ppm calcium. I've used 4 buckets of Probiotic and 2 buckets of Sea Salt and I think 3 buckets of Reef Salt.

I understand the potential of not testing your water in the tank or in freshly mixed bucket, but maybe not testing the freshly mixed water was my issue afterall?

What is your issue?

patpare
01-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Sorry for the delay in replying
I'm having my pc fixed
Using my phone is to much of a pain for me
I will reply on the week end with full info and befor and after pictures

tang daddy
01-23-2017, 10:14 PM
I am using the probiotic salt right now, not sure where it says and also a friend confirmed that if using probiotic you should be doing smaller waterchanges like 10%. Anyhow I still have lots of IO so for bigger WC I use that.
The difference I've heard with the probiotic compared to the reef is that it is abit cloudy when mixing but goes away generally after a couple hrs.
I have only done 5% wc every 3 days to remove detritous with the probiotic salt.
Once I am done I am switching to the reef salt because I don't really notice any difference with PB vs IO.

GoFish
02-10-2017, 09:51 PM
Sorry for the delay in replying
I'm having my pc fixed
Using my phone is to much of a pain for me
I will reply on the week end with full info and befor and after pictures

Any update? I just tested my "reef salt" bought on Boxing Day (batch #530). It tested 6.4dkh 3 times in a row on 2 different Salifert kits (exp 2019 and 2020). Took a water sample into J&L and it tested 6.7dkh (also Salifert)

No wonder my SPS would only tolerate really small water changes. Aquaforest website says it should be between 7.4dkh to 8.2dkh so something is definitely outta whack with that batch number

zoapaly
02-11-2017, 04:47 PM
Garbage salt, IO or blue bucket much better .