PDA

View Full Version : Concepts Aquariums

shrimp
12-29-2016, 11:55 PM
I picked up a custom built tank and stand around Christmas from Concept Aquariums. Once again "Concepts" has proven to be an exceptional custom tank builder...my specific instructions were followed to a tee. A big thank you to Jason and his team. 😊🐠

reefmandan
12-30-2016, 04:47 AM
I'll second that. Nothing but positive things to say

DKoKoMan
12-30-2016, 05:25 AM
Word travels!

Scythanith
12-31-2016, 01:22 AM
The key is to be very clear and specific with what you want. You will pay for it but it will be done :) I wish I would have known that when they made my 270. I didn't know silicon with zero bubbles was an option! might have got the one exposed edge polished as well.

Nice tank though :)

DKoKoMan
12-31-2016, 05:29 AM
I have come across quite a few Concept tanks and they always stand out with the quality build. I just picked up a 150g from another reefer which is a concept build so I'm looking forward to setting that up!

Right now I will continue to use my 75g bow front which was made by Aquarium Illusions. Definitely not as nice as the 150g but I still like it!

smokinreefer
01-08-2017, 01:09 AM
Glad to hear all the positive experiences.

I'll be ordering a tank soon, what things should I be requesting?

Zero bubbles sounds great!
Polished edges...

Anything else I need to specify?

Thanks!

SoloSK71
01-08-2017, 01:43 AM
The key is to be very clear and specific with what you want. You will pay for it but it will be done :) I wish I would have known that when they made my 270. I didn't know silicon with zero bubbles was an option! might have got the one exposed edge polished as well.

Nice tank though :)

What are zero bubbles?

Charles

Wheelman76
01-08-2017, 01:45 AM
What are zero bubbles?

Charles

No air bubbles in the silicone.

Myka
01-08-2017, 01:48 AM
Glad to hear all the positive experiences.

I'll be ordering a tank soon, what things should I be requesting?

Zero bubbles sounds great!
Polished edges...

Anything else I need to specify?

Thanks!
Get them to tool the silicone and ask for minimal silicone edges.

Polished 1 piece eurobrace is a nice touch but gets pricey over 4'. :D

I also use black glass instead of black acrylic for the overflow/background, but this is also an expensive touch because black glass is 6 mm so they have to laminate it.

What's your budget and what dimensions do you want? That's a good place to start. :D IMO, the tank itself is very important aesthetically, so I don't think twice about spending over $1000 on a 3 or 4 ft tank.

SoloSK71
01-08-2017, 02:53 AM
No air bubbles in the silicone.

Sorry, this is a 'feature' you have to pay for?

Charles

WarDog
01-08-2017, 04:28 AM
I've never seen a Concepts tank with zero bubbles. Personally I've never been impressed by them.

Myka
01-08-2017, 06:15 AM
I've never seen a Concepts tank with zero bubbles. Personally I've never been impressed by them.
You should see mine. No bubbles.

warriorcookie
01-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Mitered corners are hot, but expensive.

Ram3500
01-08-2017, 10:33 PM
If I was to give rating from 1-10 on my Concept tank I would give it a rating of 8 . They did a good job but their work on the silicone was far from perfect and the glass is off in the corners. My tank is a few years old now so I'm sure they have improved at their trade.My biggest disappointment was I ordered black silicone and when the tank arrived it was clear. Always important listening to your customers. I hate looking at algae growing on silicone. If I get another tank in the future I don't think I would order from them. I would like to see what I am getting in person before I fork out my cash.

DKoKoMan
01-09-2017, 03:56 AM
If I was to give rating from 1-10 on my Concept tank I would give it a rating of 8 . They did a good job but their work on the silicone was far from perfect and the glass is off in the corners. My tank is a few years old now so I'm sure they have improved at their trade.My biggest disappointment was I ordered black silicone and when the tank arrived it was clear. Always important listening to your customers. I hate looking at algae growing on silicone. If I get another tank in the future I don't think I would order from them. I would like to see what I am getting in person before I fork out my cash.

Did they not address the issue (ie discount or re-silicone). Would make sense if that was on the original order.

Scythanith
01-09-2017, 04:00 AM
It's easy to offer a discount but that still leaves a sour taste in ones mouth. I like Rams' description.

Scythanith
01-09-2017, 04:00 AM
You should see mine. No bubbles.

But you specifically requested that :) I remember.

DKoKoMan
01-09-2017, 04:01 AM
It's easy to offer a discount but that still leaves a sour taste in ones mouth. I like Rams' description.

Ya that is a deciding factor for future purchases. I still think it is important to be compensated if a mistake was made. :razz:

Scythanith
01-09-2017, 04:29 AM
I just want to make sure it's known that I like their tanks :) I just think it's important to be very specific on what you want an be very straightforward that you will not take any less.

Things like zero bubble silicon (clear or black), mitred glass edges (exactly which edges), one piece eurobrace, starfire glass, black glass for the overflow instead of acrylic (acrylic warps and is tough to keep clean), Inset area for acrylic overflow teeth, etc.

There are so many options that you have to specify and pay for. If you don't ask for it you won't get it.

I have ordered large tanks and small tanks from them. I get what I asked for but no more lol. I will continue to order from them :)

DKoKoMan
01-09-2017, 05:38 AM
I just want to make sure it's known that I like their tanks :) I just think it's important to be very specific on what you want an be very straightforward that you will not take any less.

Things like zero bubble silicon (clear or black), mitred glass edges (exactly which edges), one piece eurobrace, starfire glass, black glass for the overflow instead of acrylic (acrylic warps and is tough to keep clean), Inset area for acrylic overflow teeth, etc.

There are so many options that you have to specify and pay for. If you don't ask for it you won't get it.

I have ordered large tanks and small tanks from them. I get what I asked for but no more lol. I will continue to order from them :)

Lol isn't that the truth!

SoloSK71
01-09-2017, 08:59 PM

Just to be clear, I was talking about one specific thing. I don't think bubbles in the silicon are a 'feature' and I don't expect to have to pay extra for no bubbles.

Good installation technique should be the baseline.

Charles

Myka
01-10-2017, 02:15 AM
But you specifically requested that :) I remember.
Yes I believe my email said do not send the tank if the silicone isn't perfect. :D

Most of my clients have Concept Aquarium tanks and there is definitely a variety of quality. I'm pretty sure they do that on purpose though, so they can please all markets. In the grand scheme of things, there are a ton of people that just want a glass box to hold water as cheaply as possible. So they get the cheap version. :lol:

DKoKoMan
01-10-2017, 02:18 AM
Makes sense though, have to cater to all customers and budget.

smokinreefer
01-10-2017, 02:22 AM
So when ordering, what things need to be outright specified?

I'm ordering what's to be my last display tank. It's a fair sized display that's going to sit in the open as a room divider.

I want it to be nicely finished to compliment its inhabitants!

So far I take it that. I need to specify that I do not want any imperfections in the silicone.

I also want the edges polished.

What else would one want in a show tank?

Thanks!

iamfrontosa
01-10-2017, 03:21 AM
My list:

3 sides starphire;
one piece Euro brace, or 19mm rimless;
External overflow with Bean animal
Polished edges;
Black silicone, and no bubbles.

brotherd
01-10-2017, 03:28 AM
I guess it depends on how show you want and what you are willing to pay. For myself, full show would include Zero bubbles, all edges polished and beveled, internal cleats and bracing, one piece eurobrace, clear or black silicone where I want it, holes clean and where I want them,low iron or starfire glass where I want, glass thickness as I want, tooled silicone on all seams, black Glass instead of clear, teeth or no teeth on overflow, etc. You get the idea. The possibilities are endless. It's ultimately up to you.

SoloSK71
01-10-2017, 03:12 PM
Is there a website that describes all of these options?

Charles

brotherd
01-11-2017, 12:31 AM
Nope. They have/had a form on their site that you could print out but it's pretty basic. For people who can't get to Concept in person, best bet is lots of detailed emails and they are pretty good with computer sketch ups to show you along the way. On a side note I can't wait to get my new 220 up and running. From Concept of course :)