PDA

View Full Version : Mail Order Junkies...Whom do you use?

bluetang
11-20-2004, 01:17 AM
I am setting up a 125g reef at my office. I have found with the dollar being what it is that alot of money can be saved going cross border.
Which online Aquatic stores do you use.
I have been using www.customaquatics.com
I have found them top notch. great service and great prices. They however, don't carry some of the items I am looking for. So hence this post.
Rob

j83
11-20-2004, 01:36 AM
Marine Depot has excellent stuff and their prices are good, when I dealt with their staff it was nothing but professional. I have used custom aquatics as well - they both are good.

EmilyB
11-20-2004, 01:42 AM
Premium Aquatics - top notch and they ship USPS. :cool:

Bryan
11-20-2004, 02:00 AM
Premium Aquatics. They use USPS as mentioned before, and they know how to produce the proper documentation so your package doesn't lag in customs.

Samw
11-20-2004, 02:08 AM
I go with Premium Aquatics. In addition to the above, I also found that they are good at responding to Emails unlike several other places.

Bob I
11-20-2004, 02:28 AM
I go along with the above. Premium Aquatics are my choice. Great service, and above all USPS. :biggrin:

As far as Canadian online sevices, I use MOPS most often, and J&L please note. They allow me to use PayPal, and charge no more than $6.95 for shipping. They use the Postal service instead of that annoying UPS. Top notch service also. :biggrin:

monza
11-20-2004, 03:39 AM
I agree with the the above, Premium Aquatics only because they always have everything in stock. Yes the prices are good but I do try and suport local first then Canadian but no one ever has the stock. Just got a shipment today from Premium, cool new toys! Custom A. is the only other US supplier I have used no problem with them.

So really IMO buy local if they have it. If not the two suppliers mentioned seem great. Best of luck with your setup!
Dave

trilinearmipmap
11-20-2004, 05:58 AM
1. Premium Aquatics
2. MOPS
3. ReefGeek

BTW Premium Aquatics has the "Powerbuys" on reefs.org, this month I think EuroReefs are on sale.

bluetang
11-20-2004, 06:15 AM
I was just on there site and sort of found it hard to find my way around and actually find a specific item. Do you guys find the same thing?

JohnM99
11-20-2004, 04:29 PM
jlaquatics.com
reefgeek.com
premiumaquatics.com
marinedepot.com
myreefcreations.com

Have ordered from all of these, and had very good service.

Would definitely recommend AGAINST using express US Postal service - cost is a bit less than courier - but VERY SLOW.

UPS is OK, FedEx is the best - especially at getting across the border - UPS brokerage fees often higher than FedEx even though their courier price is a bit lower.

John

j83
11-22-2004, 09:09 PM
I agree with Fed-Ex - they ship stuff very, very fast! UPS is too slow when you need essentials, I could walk down to California and pick up my stuff quicker than UPS ships it.

Rikko
11-23-2004, 02:35 AM
Did anybody hear about the new USPS policies? I heard second hand that all inbound parcels for Canada coming via USPS are now routed through Vancouver ONLY - so the mail centers at the border are horribly bogged down and mail is slow. They also haven't hired any new staff as yet to deal with the influx.
I didn't see any press releases firsthand but I know it's been almost 3 weeks for my Premium Aquatics order to show up :(

TANGOMAN
11-23-2004, 02:36 AM
Does Premium Aquatics have a web site ? I tried the obvious but got nothing... :confused:

TANGOMAN
11-23-2004, 02:39 AM
Never mind... :redface: . Musta' been somethin' in the water last night. :cool: .

Bryan
11-23-2004, 02:48 AM
Anybody have a web link or a rate schedule for the FEDEX brokerage fees.

jlaquatics.com
UPS brokerage fees often higher than FedEx even though their courier price is a bit lower.

John

bluetang
11-23-2004, 04:41 AM
UPS Canada is on strike. No shipments in or out of Canada.. :frown:

StirCrazy
11-23-2004, 05:09 AM
UPS Canada is on strike. No shipments in or out of Canada.. :frown:

thats no loss :rolleyes: I avoid UPS like the plague anyways.

Steve

hockey nut
11-23-2004, 06:48 AM
Try www.fedex.com

hockey nut
11-23-2004, 06:50 AM
I agree. UPS in Canada is somewhat less desirable.

bluetang
11-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Last week I ordered a couple things from Custom Aquatics, only to realize that they ship via UPS :confused: . Good thing I live 2 minutes away from Point Roberts. I have my package delivered to this little postal office there and they hold it. I then pick it up when it arives and drive it across the border
(under the spare tire of course :wink: )