PDA

View Full Version : Need help moving a tank

kuatto
11-19-2004, 07:31 PM
I'm looking for a little help.I'm moving my 54 reef to a new place and will need help lifting the tank up 6 or 7 steps into the new place.I'm transporting liverock and fish in buckets(only 5-10min drive)and leaving sand (aprx 1.5")and just enough water to cover it,so it might weigh a few pounds.Was thinking about saturday or sunday.
I have a holding tank to set up for the fish untill the main tank settles.

Richer
11-19-2004, 07:57 PM
Busy this Saturday, but I help anytime during the afternoon on Sunday.

-Richer

mr_alberta
11-19-2004, 07:58 PM
Ooh, if I were in town Jim, I'd help you out. Are you moving the tank upstairs? Or are you getting a bigger tank?

kuatto
11-19-2004, 08:08 PM
Rich
Sunday would be great,I'll call you later with a time.

Harvey
Moving to another place(no worries,its all good :mrgreen: )not getting a bigger tank(well....not yet :biggrin: )
My only concern is what will happen to the sand bed if things get stirred up too much??and will the bottom glass hold the weight of the small layer of sand and water?.....did I mention I hate moving :evil: ??

snaggle
11-19-2004, 11:40 PM
I can lend a hand if you need it on sunday to. I have read that moving a tank with sand/water in can cause a break in the seal. I have a 55 that has just the gravle no water and my and my gf could not move it :confused: . well I hope it all works out. PM me if you still need help.

kuatto
11-20-2004, 02:03 AM
Muck is stopping by in the morning and we're gonna give it a go.Was wondering though if thre tank will go through a mini cycle once its set up again?

Bob I
11-20-2004, 02:40 AM
Just a bit of a warning Jim. We moved Tony's 55 and 72 gal. Bowfront with the sandbeds in place. It was a lot of heavy work, but the real problem was lost fish. He lost a Fairy Wrasse, a Yellow Tang, and some Cleaner Shrimp. Later on the 72 sprung a leak. I would suggest moving the sandbed in buckets, and move the tank empty. Even moving across the room that works best. I have done that a number of times with great success. :biggrin:

Nemain
11-20-2004, 02:42 AM
Jim when my tank had a leek I had to quickly remove everything and get it into a new tank. I besically just dumped the sand in the new one ( I really didnt know better :P) There werent too many adverse affects, other than a small hair algae bloom that worked itself out.

G'luck with the move!!!!

Beth

kuatto
11-20-2004, 02:56 AM
Hmm,wondering if I fill the buckets with the tank water and put the fish in one and rock in a few more,then just carry the sand in a large tote,should be ok.How long should I leave the tank before I put the fish back?I can hook up 2 large fluvals to clean the water once the sand bed gets disturbed.Will the sand be ok if there is no water in the tote(just the water in the sand )?The drive will be inside my van and take about 10 mins door to door.

snaggle
11-20-2004, 05:06 AM
the last time I moved I used pales to keep half of the water then onces it has cleared it should be good just keep every thing in water so you dont have a new cycle.

kuatto
11-20-2004, 11:56 PM
Well,all the fish are settling in the new place and eating like nothing happened :biggrin:
Big thanks to Ryan(muck)for the help today.After setting it all up,was looking at my canopy and thought it would be nice to have one that lifts up on hinges.Since I no longer have the garage to tinker in(all pwr tools in storage),is there anyone in the Edmonton area that could build me one for the 54?Of course it wouldn't have to be for awhile,but figured I'd ask now :biggrin: .

Beverly
11-21-2004, 02:41 AM
Jim,

Where the heck did you move to? Glad the tank move went well :cool:

kuatto
11-21-2004, 03:18 AM
Its about 5 minutes to the new place,we'll be moved in by Tuesday night.