PDA

View Full Version : T5 bulbs

Potatohead
12-20-2016, 08:04 PM
So I got my new setup up and running and have an 8 bulb Sunpower over it. Because it has been more than ten minutes since the last bulb thread, I figured I would ask again... What combos are you guys using for SPS dominant tank?

I currently have (front to back)

Blue+
Blue+
Actinic
Coral+
Purple+
Blue+
Blue+
Blue+

I also bought an extra coral+, blue+ and actinic to experiment but settled on the above. With another coral+ instead of a blue+ it was a too white, with a coral+ instead of the purple+ it was not bad but kind of cold looking, I prefer the bit of added pink/red/purple.

Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas or if I should maybe move the bulbs around, or what is working for other guys.

Potatohead
12-21-2016, 01:44 AM
Occurred to me at work that I should probably try a second purple since I liked the results of the first, and I still felt the tank was a bit cold and bright looking, so I picked one up and put it in the second spot in place of a blue and then swapped the purple/blue that were in five and seven. So now it's;

Blue+
Purple+
Actinic
Blue+
Coral+
Blue+
Purple+
Blue+

I think I like it more but will give it some time.

WarDog
12-21-2016, 03:45 AM
Currently :

Fiji pink
Coral +
Blue +
Actinic
Coral +
Blue +
Coral +
Blue +

gregzz4
12-21-2016, 01:30 PM
I have 4 separate cords and my timers control, in sequence, bulbs 1+8, 2+7, 3+6 and 4+5

1 Blue+
2 Coral+
3 Aquablue Special
4 Aquablue Special
5 Coral+
6 Aquablue Special
7 Coral+
8 Blue+

As you can see we prefer a more natural tone - very bright.
I tried a Fiji Pink years ago and the wife and I both hated it.

gmann
12-21-2016, 04:14 PM
probably not the best of suggestions, but I used this thread when I was deciding on my t5 set up. since you have 8 bulbs, I would assume multiply everything by 2?

http://aquanerd.com/2015/07/ati-giesemann-t5-comparison-part-1.html

Potatohead
12-21-2016, 04:22 PM
I think I have read every thread on the internet about bulbs in the last three days... lol.

It seems a very common setup with six bulb is four blue, one coral, one purple. That provides all the spectrum you really need, so from what I understand the last two bulbs of an eight bulb you can kind of change to suit your eye, or maybe add a bit more par if you want. I knew I wanted an actinic in there so that left one which I have been changing between blue/coral/purple to get the look I like. I think I like the purple the most but may keep tinkering with it, the coral is just a bit too bright and cold looking and the blue is a bit windexy looking.

gmann
12-21-2016, 04:36 PM
add a blue pop in there

then again I love the blue haha

iamfrontosa
12-23-2016, 09:59 AM
maybe put a GIESEMANN POWERCHROME MIDDAY into your combo.