PDA

View Full Version : whats the worst that could happen?

danny zubot
11-19-2004, 03:34 PM
I found my brand new Flame angel in the very back on my corner tank dead with orange fuzzy stuff growing all over him. :cry: In order to get the carcass out I will need to dismantle the whole right side on my tank! :mad: I don't have a clue as to what killed it but my question is what is the worste that could happen if I just left the carcass in the tank? What is that orange Fuzzie stuff.
Here's a pic of the work ahead should I have to remove the dead flame angel.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1071danny10-med.jpg

Bob I
11-19-2004, 03:49 PM
I have lost fish without ever seeing the carcass. They likely became bristleworm food. The biggest one was a Purple Firefish. Sometimed when you leave them they will start to float, or get moved by the current. That usually happens before decomposition sets in. :eek:

mr_alberta
11-19-2004, 03:50 PM
Worst case senario:

Dead fish -> ammonia spike -> causes more death -> tank crash.

Of course that all depends on size of tank, cleaning crew, size of dead fish, etc.

monza
11-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Can't you blow him out with a power head, or suck him out with a hose. The later sounds real tasty!

Dave

One dead fish to take down a tank, I doubt it unless your talking a nano.

mr_alberta
11-19-2004, 04:30 PM
I agree that is probably won't happen unless its a huge fish or a very small tank, but that is the worst that could happen :mrgreen:

Invigor
11-19-2004, 04:34 PM
flames are picky and usually die for no reason at all :)

danny zubot
11-19-2004, 04:38 PM
I noticed him last night and didn't have time to do anything then. If the janitors have done a fairly good job of decomposing the fish I'll leave it I guess. If it still has lots of that fuzzy orange stuff I think I'll have to remove it. There goes my Friday night! :evil:

flames are picky and usually die for no reason at all :)

My last flame only died because I dropped a rock on it. :redface:

Tarolisol
11-19-2004, 05:29 PM
I have a 77 and one a fish dies i just let the bristle worms go towork, They will destroy a dead fish to nothing but a skeleton in no time.

Samw
11-19-2004, 06:38 PM
I discovered early on that Flame Angels require higher oxygen levels than other fish. I've had 3 Flame Angels die since I started the hobby. The first one died within weeks because I didn't have enough aeration (I had no aeration equipment at the time. I was skimmerless. I only had powerheads for circulation.). I then added a skimmer and my 2nd Flame lasted many months until 1 day I turned off the skimmer and it died overnight while the Clowns and Tang were fine. My 3rd Flame, after many months, jumped and died. I leave my skimmer on 24/7 now and I no longer have mysterious Flame deaths. Out of all the fish that I've kept (which isn't many), I'd subjectively rank it as the number 2 most demanding fish for oxygen.

christyf5
11-19-2004, 06:47 PM
Can you maybe get a poking stick in there or something and yank it out?? Thats going to be alot of work to get it out of there :frown:

Christy :)

Quinn
11-19-2004, 08:26 PM
Might be able to use the suction of a siphon to get it out of there...

danny zubot
11-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Sucking and sticks, and blowers oh my!

Perhaps I'll jump in to my little submarine and go get it! :razz:

Regardless of my method its gonna suck! :mrgreen:

snaggle
11-19-2004, 11:51 PM
I had to get a dead fish out once so I used a pump and a peace of tubing tit worked ok. Just be carful that the fish dosnt go the wrong way. You might also want to get some fungiside to help if that orange stuff is a fungus, I dont think that it could be any thing else.

Brad

monza
11-20-2004, 12:06 AM
Remote control sub!

dirtyreefer
11-20-2004, 12:53 AM
Sucking and sticks, and blowers oh my!

Get'cher mind outta the gutter! :wink:

Chin_Lee
11-20-2004, 03:53 AM
sometimes redirecting the flow in your tank will do the trick. if you have lots of hermit crabs and worms and shrimps in your tank, let them deal with it. if not, best to get it out.

danny zubot
11-20-2004, 06:14 AM
When i got home from work this evening the carcas was completely gone and no sign of any residual fungus. Three cheers for the reef janitors! How lucky am I. :biggrin:
I'll probly do a water change soon just to make sure that there is no amonia spike.