PDA

View Full Version : LF: Clear Mesh Netting

elitesurfer
12-19-2016, 08:00 PM
Looking to put a mesh top with maybe 1/4" opening. Couldn't find anything similar at Rona, Home Depot, or CT.
My location is Surrey, BC not Calgary, AB btw.

12-19-2016, 08:08 PM
The Western Group has or had it. They are in coqoutlam ask them for polyurethane screen

elitesurfer
12-19-2016, 08:24 PM
The Western Group has or had it. They are in coqoutlam ask them for polyurethane screen

Thanks. Will give that a try.

timmmmy55
12-19-2016, 10:10 PM
Does any know if they have that also in Calgary the hard white stuff

kyl
12-20-2016, 12:12 AM
Could always try black bridal tulle. Like it a lot more than when I had 1/4" clear mesh.

timmmmy55
12-20-2016, 01:11 AM
Ya but the hard plastic ones make a good lid as well

adam84
12-20-2016, 06:13 AM
Reefsupplies.ca has the clear mesh

DKoKoMan
12-20-2016, 06:22 AM
I use the egg crate and cut to shape. This acts as my lid as well.

timmmmy55
12-20-2016, 12:25 PM
That's a good idea do your gobys or fire fish go through it?

DKoKoMan
12-20-2016, 04:53 PM
That's a good idea do your gobys or fire fish go through it?

Haven't had any fish go through the top (fire fish, gobies, wrasse et al'). :x-mas:

elitesurfer
12-20-2016, 05:20 PM
Could always try black bridal tulle. Like it a lot more than when I had 1/4" clear mesh.

Hmm that's an alternative... How much light does it block though I wonder.

Moogled
12-20-2016, 05:27 PM
How big do you need the mesh lid to be?

I did a DIY lately but instead of plastic mesh, I ended up using the fabric mesh that they made laundry bags out of.

Galizio
12-20-2016, 07:25 PM
If you in Surrey pm me , depends how much you need I have some of the IM stuff and some 1/8 of the brs one (was planning to use it but I'm happy with what I got right now), some of the other stuff mention above can affect you par tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elitesurfer
12-20-2016, 09:13 PM
How big do you need the mesh lid to be?

I did a DIY lately but instead of plastic mesh, I ended up using the fabric mesh that they made laundry bags out of.

You're in Calgary though. :(

If you in Surrey pm me , depends how much you need I have some of the IM stuff and some 1/8 of the brs one (was planning to use it but I'm happy with what I got right now), some of the other stuff mention above can affect you par tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice. Sent you a PM.

Moogled
12-20-2016, 11:21 PM
Oh sorry, I think you misunderstood. I don't have any for sale and was just sharing my experiences with my DIY.

I was saying that you could probably go to Walmart and pick up a laundry bag and cut out the mesh.

The bag itself is probably like 5 bucks but if your lid footprint is fairly small, it should give you enough material to work with.

It seems kind of ghetto to be using a laundry bag but it seems to work well enough for me thus far :)

elitesurfer
12-20-2016, 11:33 PM
Oh sorry, I think you misunderstood. I don't have any for sale and was just sharing my experiences with my DIY.

I was saying that you could probably go to Walmart and pick up a laundry bag and cut out the mesh.

The bag itself is probably like 5 bucks but if your lid footprint is fairly small, it should give you enough material to work with.

It seems kind of ghetto to be using a laundry bag but it seems to work well enough for me thus far :)

Hahaha thanks for clarifying.
I did indeed think about using the laundry bag from dollar store actually, then started wondering about the light penetration. In any case, I was able to find a proper one this time, close to home.

timmmmy55
12-21-2016, 05:54 AM
Do you think the egg crate would affect par ratting?

And I have a bunch of jumpers lol I have heard them hit the lid now lol

DKoKoMan
12-21-2016, 07:59 AM
Do you think the egg crate would affect par ratting?

And I have a bunch of jumpers lol I have heard them hit the lid now lol

I don't think it changes the par enough to alter corals. That being said it will be less then an open top with the light penetrating the water surface.