PDA

View Full Version : Lighting advice

gmann
12-15-2016, 07:46 PM
**edit: changed my question as I did not word it properly the first time**

im considering a new lighting setup, and while I love my kessil pendants, ive been considering making a switch to one of the higher end led fixtures. So my question is, costs aside, would you pick a hydra 52 HD, the new ecotech, or the AP700? I also saw there is a new Philips set up coming out, but until that is confirmed I will leave it off the list.

if I missed another fixture that meets my criteria, please let me know.

thanks

rockworm
12-15-2016, 09:17 PM
You can also consider the GHL Mitras. I have two 6200lx over my 75g. They have just released the new 7200 and they appear to be very good.

Potatohead
12-15-2016, 09:25 PM
From what I have seen of the Philips unit on the BRS testing, it looks pretty awesome.

gmann
12-15-2016, 11:17 PM
From what I have seen of the Philips unit on the BRS testing, it looks pretty awesome.

yeah I saw that, but who knows when those will be coming across the Atlantic.

Tyfighter
12-16-2016, 02:45 AM
What size is your tank?

gmann
12-16-2016, 04:20 AM
72x30x24

im pretty sure i would only need 2 of the kessils whereas with the others i would need 3 units.

Galizio
12-16-2016, 02:22 PM
Depends what corals you want to keep.
I saw your tank and honestly is a sweet custom light you got , if you only had one more kessil and a couple more t5 I would no be worried, could grow anything.
If you are no worried about the price and going just for the LED with no other supplement I think Radion is the way to go, even if I was really happy with my kessils, saw some nice corals under radion and AI leds. Anyways ecotech and radion work together so any of the 2 is ok, also the kessil looks good and probably for your tank is the cheapest option. But if I was no worried about the $$$ will go for 4 to 6 radions.
At the end of the day I think all 3 are top notch LED units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tang daddy
12-16-2016, 03:26 PM
I wonder how much the philips would be marketed for if they did come out with some for the North America market, I think we all watched the brs clip on the new fixture. It seems like even par throughout the area and perfect colour blending make this light a lot more even to look at and close to replicating t5 or mh.

May I ask why you want to change your lighting?

Is it for sps growth or colouring up your corals or not enough coverage?

I think once we can determine what you're after it's easy to choose the best fixture to suit your needs.

I run all 3 mh t5 and led, will have to say since I've supplemented my lighting with kessils I've noticed some of the acropora colour for the better, definitely gives the pop on sps and Lps.

Tankboy
12-16-2016, 03:28 PM
We have two tanks, one with Radion Gen 4's x 2 and one with two AP700's. The visual aspect of the Ap700's is better than the Radions in my opinion, but the software on the Radions is better than the Kessils. Kessil has recently updated their firmware and also is Beta testing newer software...so they are finally getting this lights software up to the level it should have been at from day one! The Kessils are on a 72 x 18 x 20 tank and the Radions are on a RSM 250. If I had to do it all over again...I would still go with the Kessils as the color, shimmer, and results I am getting with my SPS has been great. Just wish the software would have been better when I bought them when they first came out.

Galizio
12-16-2016, 03:35 PM
I wonder how much the philips would be marketed for if they did come out with some for the North America market, I think we all watched the brs clip on the new fixture. It seems like even par throughout the area and perfect colour blending make this light a lot more even to look at and close to replicating t5 or mh.

I think once we can determine what you're after it's easy to choose the best fixture to suit your needs.

I run all 3 mh t5 and led, will have to say since I've supplemented my lighting with kessils I've noticed some of the acropora colour for the better, definitely gives the pop on sps and Lps.

+1 on this...
Bud you should go check it out , he is walking distance from you and the custom fixture he got is really sweet.

tang daddy
12-16-2016, 03:40 PM
We have two tanks, one with Radion Gen 4's x 2 and one with two AP700's. The visual aspect of the Ap700's is better than the Radions in my opinion, but the software on the Radions is better than the Kessils. Kessil has recently updated their firmware and also is Beta testing newer software...so they are finally getting this lights software up to the level it should have been at from day one! The Kessils are on a 72 x 18 x 20 tank and the Radions are on a RSM 250. If I had to do it all over again...I would still go with the Kessils as the color, shimmer, and results I am getting with my SPS has been great. Just wish the software would have been better when I bought them when they first came out.

What was the cost of the ap700s when you purchased them and when you say better than radion are you talking about the spread? How is the blending in colour compared to the radion?

Tankboy
12-16-2016, 05:24 PM
The Kessils are pricey! $1000 per light and $160 for the arms (per light)! I cover my whole tank at 7" off the water surface. The Kessils have what they call "Kessil Logic" built in. What this is, is you can choose between white all the way to a very deep blue on a kind of a color wheel in the app. You can also add red and green but I dont mess with them much. The "Kessil Logic" is preset values of color blending. You can not adjust individual colors like you can with the Radions. You have, I think, 10 different shades of blue/white with the Kessil Logic and then your red and blue which you can adjust. The Kessils are VERY powerful lights. I am running them at 65%.
We have both tanks in the same room, and looking at them both, the visual appeal of the Kessils (to Jan and I), is better than the Radions. Makes the colors of the corals pop, shimmer is awesome and growth has been good. The geek in me likes how much adjustability the Radions have tho. But in the end,,,I set em and forget em! Kessil is not compatible with Apex yet but controllable on your phone. Radions are not. You sign into Ecosmart Live for the Radions, make your changes, plug one of the lights into the laptop, and apply the changes to the lights. kind of a pain in the butt...But that is all fixed once an Apex is added! Both have storm and cloud cover, and moonlight features, Radion wins with this as they are just that more adjustable. The Kessils moonlight suck...but that is said to be fixed with the new Beta testing that I haven't signed into yet. The Ap700 lights are a very sleek design and look better over the tank than the Radions. I cant really compare growth between the two tanks as the RSM 250 is a Seahorse tank filled with zoas and gorgs, and the reef tank with the Kessils is predominantly sps with some lps.

Here is a look at the Kessil Logic wheel. I only use the left half of the wheel

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z248/magnum-016/Kessil_zpsrwgwhjhe.jpg (http://s195.photobucket.com/user/magnum-016/media/Kessil_zpsrwgwhjhe.jpg.html)

tang daddy
12-16-2016, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the excellent write up tank boy, I may eventually have to look at one of these lights in action to see if it's a good replacement for my 400w mh....

gmann
12-16-2016, 06:03 PM

im guessing the Philips will be a gnote when they arrive here.

so currently I have 3 x 360WE supplemented with 4 x t5. I do not grow sps, and I don't think I will ever take the plunge.

I decided to stop running the t5's as honestly I find it more of an esthetics thing as I cannot seem to find a color blend I like.

running the 3-4 pendants will just be a mess in terms of wires hanging everywhere, so im considering the switch.

gmann
12-16-2016, 06:04 PM
The Kessils are pricey! $1000 per light and $160 for the arms (per light)! I cover my whole tank at 7" off the water surface. The Kessils have what they call "Kessil Logic" built in. What this is, is you can choose between white all the way to a very deep blue on a kind of a color wheel in the app. You can also add red and green but I dont mess with them much. The "Kessil Logic" is preset values of color blending. You can not adjust individual colors like you can with the Radions. You have, I think, 10 different shades of blue/white with the Kessil Logic and then your red and blue which you can adjust. The Kessils are VERY powerful lights. I am running them at 65%.
We have both tanks in the same room, and looking at them both, the visual appeal of the Kessils (to Jan and I), is better than the Radions. Makes the colors of the corals pop, shimmer is awesome and growth has been good. The geek in me likes how much adjustability the Radions have tho. But in the end,,,I set em and forget em! Kessil is not compatible with Apex yet but controllable on your phone. Radions are not. You sign into Ecosmart Live for the Radions, make your changes, plug one of the lights into the laptop, and apply the changes to the lights. kind of a pain in the butt...But that is all fixed once an Apex is added! Both have storm and cloud cover, and moonlight features, Radion wins with this as they are just that more adjustable. The Kessils moonlight suck...but that is said to be fixed with the new Beta testing that I haven't signed into yet. The Ap700 lights are a very sleek design and look better over the tank than the Radions. I cant really compare growth between the two tanks as the RSM 250 is a Seahorse tank filled with zoas and gorgs, and the reef tank with the Kessils is predominantly sps with some lps.

Here is a look at the Kessil Logic wheel. I only use the left half of the wheel

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z248/magnum-016/Kessil_zpsrwgwhjhe.jpg (http://s195.photobucket.com/user/magnum-016/media/Kessil_zpsrwgwhjhe.jpg.html)

awesome write up. Im liking the wheel aspect as I hate playing around with the individual color levels. and with their coverage, im thinking I can get away with 2 of these on my tank.

Tankboy
12-16-2016, 06:10 PM
I am very happy with the lights! Very expensive....but what isn't in this hobby!

gmann
12-16-2016, 06:27 PM
damn....

mounting options for the ap700 are not the best for me given I have a eurobraced tank....

Tankboy
12-16-2016, 06:50 PM
Extension Mount

The Extension Mount is designed to be used with the Mounting Arm and provides customers with additional mounting option. It is designed specifically for acrylic or euro-braced tanks, by affixing the mounting arms to the tank stand. The Extension Mount comes with two extension tubes, allowing a total length of 57 1/2". It is compatible with A160, A360, and AP700.

gmann
12-16-2016, 07:01 PM
Extension Mount

The Extension Mount is designed to be used with the Mounting Arm and provides customers with additional mounting option. It is designed specifically for acrylic or euro-braced tanks, by affixing the mounting arms to the tank stand. The Extension Mount comes with two extension tubes, allowing a total length of 57 1/2". It is compatible with A160, A360, and AP700.

Thanks. saw that option, but I cant get behind my tank. plus my stand is metal.

guess I'll have to figure out a way to hang them, being the expert handyman that I am lol

tang daddy
12-16-2016, 08:18 PM
Mount to the wall that might work...

Galizio
12-16-2016, 08:21 PM
Ceiling is a good option for you

kyl
12-16-2016, 09:11 PM
I mounted mine to the wall with some 3" finishing screws (into plywood).