PDA

View Full Version : Thought provoking discussion

Dearth
12-15-2016, 12:53 PM
Found this on Reef to Reef very interesting read in my opinion

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/euthanasia-is-it-morally-sound.278568/?utm_source=newsletter_1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=December_14_2016

DKoKoMan
12-15-2016, 07:39 PM
Found this on Reef to Reef very interesting read in my opinion

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/euthanasia-is-it-morally-sound.278568/?utm_source=newsletter_1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=December_14_2016

Good read on an unpleasant topic. Unfortunately a couple months ago, I found one of my green Chromis cork-screwing through the DT upon returning home from work. Instant panic set in as it looked like utter chaos as I cut power to the power heads. The Chromis was in rough shape (tail fin severed) and could not swim. I felt that I needed to intervene to stop the agony.

Long behold I wanted to find the most humane way to go about the euthanasia process and was clueless. I took to the web to find a "horror" of different methods used out there. Long story short, I didn't want to elect a method I was unsure would be less painful to the current state. Sadly I was unable to intervene and my quarantined fish eventually passed on his own.

There will always be opposing views on the topic but this article definitely outlined the basis and I wish I could have read this around that time.

Scythanith
12-15-2016, 08:27 PM
People need to put their big boy pants on and just end the critters suffering. Nothing does that quicker than a sharp blow to the noggin' or piercing the brain/severing the spinal column at the base of the brain.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't shed a tear when I had to do it to my marine betta, which I had for about 13 years. But it was quick and over, no mistaking whether he was suffering anymore or not.

I find having "drugs" on location to anesthetize the fish can be dangerous if you have pets or kids. But no more dangerous than a rock full of paly's sitting out for your dog to lick or kid to touch :)

TimT
12-16-2016, 07:23 AM
As a fisherman I am used to bonking fish on the head. Not that I enjoy it but it's part of fishing.

When it comes to euthanizing smaller marine fish I find the best way is a couple inches of tank water in a 1 litre cup and then into the freezer. Since they are cold blooded they pass peacefully without violence.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-16-2016, 04:54 PM
I agree with the water & freezer method Tim. That's what I usually do if it comes to that. Usually, though, I find the fish dead rather than dying.

Either way, the body is kept frozen in a jar until spring when all the morts become fertilizer for my garden.

Anthony

ramasule
12-16-2016, 05:56 PM
People need to put their big boy pants on and just end the critters suffering. Nothing does that quicker than a sharp blow to the noggin' or piercing the brain/severing the spinal column at the base of the brain.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't shed a tear when I had to do it to my marine betta, which I had for about 13 years. But it was quick and over, no mistaking whether he was suffering anymore or not.

I find having "drugs" on location to anesthetize the fish can be dangerous if you have pets or kids. But no more dangerous than a rock full of paly's sitting out for your dog to lick or kid to touch :)

Yep

Moogled
12-17-2016, 04:44 AM
Some might feel this method is very brutish but personally if it's a small fish (as in like more than 1.5"), I put it in a small ziplock, use a rubber mallet, make sure my aim is true and bring it down in one hit.

Disintegration in one fell swoop and my critter basically becomes goop.

I can't imagine how I would do it for a larger fish though and would be very hesitant to use the above method. I've always kept smaller fish so the method has worked well for me as a last resort when needed.

I knew of the water/freezer method but back then there has been controversy among enthusiasts who claim that you're freezing "nerves" and that it causes pain. Not sure how that discussion has progressed in the past 5 years.