PDA

View Full Version : Best Skimmer for 75 Gallon

DKoKoMan
12-13-2016, 09:05 AM
Hi folks,

I'm currently running my Eshopps PSK200 on my 75 gallon with a 25 gallon sump setup. I'm looking at replacing my skimmer with a new one and looking for some feedback as there are so many different options available.

I'm looking specifically for an in sump model with a smaller footprint. Anyone using a skimmer they love I would like to hear. Win Boxing Day coming up I have been looking at various skimmers on reef supplies and JL Aquatics. I'm running a primarily LPS reef tank with heavy bio load (full of beautiful fish :D ).

If anyone has a skimmer that is working well and would recommend it, I would love to know.

Thanks for all the help fellow reefers. :biggrin:

IronChefItaly
12-13-2016, 03:35 PM
I'm running a Bubble Magus NAC 3.5 which is hardly enough for my Reefer 250. I've shopped around and for a small footprint the Nyos Quantum 120 is quite appealing. They're based out of Europe but they've entered a distribution contract with the more familiar Ecotech. Pretty much the same degree of quality and I've heard really good reviews from their products though they don't come cheap... https://www.marineexperience.ca/collections/skimmers/products/quantum-protein-skimmer

Potatohead
12-13-2016, 03:44 PM
I've been doing some research as well, I have a PSK100 I am generally happy with, but I am upgrading tank size and will likely need a replacement at some point. I like the look of the IceCap skimmers, they use the same Sicce pump as the Eshopps, which is a good pump. Reef Octopus spave savers look pretty nice too, along with the Nyos but they're obviously pretty pricey and aren't actually reviewing all that well from what I have found on other forums.

DKoKoMan
12-13-2016, 04:40 PM
I'm running a Bubble Magus NAC 3.5 which is hardly enough for my Reefer 250. I've shopped around and for a small footprint the Nyos Quantum 120 is quite appealing. They're based out of Europe but they've entered a distribution contract with the more familiar Ecotech. Pretty much the same degree of quality and I've heard really good reviews from their products though they don't come cheap... https://www.marineexperience.ca/collections/skimmers/products/quantum-protein-skimmer

Ya I have always heard bigger is better. I just don't want to invest in my new skimmer and kick myself if it is overworked or doesn't have enough jam. The Nyos Quantum 120 was just brought in at my local reef store (LRS) but is definitely on the pricier side for the comparables. I don't know anyone running one at this time to even get honest feeedback.

DKoKoMan
12-13-2016, 04:45 PM
I've been doing some research as well, I have a PSK100 I am generally happy with, but I am upgrading tank size and will likely need a replacement at some point. I like the look of the IceCap skimmers, they use the same Sicce pump as the Eshopps, which is a good pump. Reef Octopus spave savers look pretty nice too, along with the Nyos but they're obviously pretty pricey and aren't actually reviewing all that well from what I have found on other forums.

Funny you say that... I saw the IceCap the other day when I was browsing Reef Supplies. I wish people would take the time to write a review (good or bad) so it would give others a base line. Cosmetically it looks great and has a decent footprint for the price. I had also looked at the 2 Reef Octopus space saver models. I'm thinking if I went that route I would require the 150SS to adequately handle my bio load. It's a big purchase and I want to get the best bang for my buck $$$.

Keep the opinions, experiences and options coming!!! :biggrin:

Potatohead
12-13-2016, 05:25 PM
Funny you say that... I saw the IceCap the other day when I was browsing Reef Supplies. I wish people would take the time to write a review (good or bad) so it would give others a base line. Cosmetically it looks great and has a decent footprint for the price. I had also looked at the 2 Reef Octopus space saver models. I'm thinking if I went that route I would require the 150SS to adequately handle my bio load. It's a big purchase and I want to get the best bang for my buck $$$.

Keep the opinions, experiences and options coming!!! :biggrin:

Here's a thread on RC about them.

They are very new, they have only been out about six or eight months, so that's likely why you're not seeing a ton of reviews.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2571214&highlight=icecap+skimmers

Reef-Geek
12-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Reef Octopus Classic 150SSS

DKoKoMan
12-13-2016, 08:18 PM
Reef Octopus Classic 150SSS

Are you currently running it?

kyl
12-13-2016, 08:42 PM
I have the Icecap K-120 on my 65 +20L sump. It's pulling out dark skim at about 7 1/2" water height with 5 fish and I'd say higher than average feeding.

Very quiet, pulls about ~49w and has a small-ish footprint as well if that matters. I've never used another non-nano skimmer, so I can't comment on alternatives. I've been happy with the purchase, construction quality is good.

DKoKoMan
12-14-2016, 12:44 AM
I have the Icecap K-120 on my 65 +20L sump. It's pulling out dark skim at about 7 1/2" water height with 5 fish and I'd say higher than average feeding.

Very quiet, pulls about ~49w and has a small-ish footprint as well if that matters. I've never used another non-nano skimmer, so I can't comment on alternatives. I've been happy with the purchase, construction quality is good.

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like it is working well for you. My tank isn't much bigger so it should work the same. I was looking at the IceCap K-120 specs and it states it will handle a light bio load for 120 gallons. Noise is a pretty big deal to me as well, so it sounds like it doesn't run to loud.

Kyl how is the adjustments on the skimmer? How was the break in period?

kyl
12-14-2016, 02:47 AM
It's adjusted about 3/4 closed, and I'm not sure on the break in period as it was in the sump running while the tank was cycling. Soon as the bio load kicked up it was producing skimmate. Judging by the RC thread, it isn't too long for others.

DKoKoMan
12-14-2016, 05:34 AM
It's adjusted about 3/4 closed, and I'm not sure on the break in period as it was in the sump running while the tank was cycling. Soon as the bio load kicked up it was producing skimmate. Judging by the RC thread, it isn't too long for others.

Do you happen to have the link on RC?

kyl
12-14-2016, 06:21 AM
Was linked earlier, http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2571214&highlight=icecap+skimmers

DKoKoMan
12-14-2016, 06:33 AM
Was linked earlier, http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2571214&highlight=icecap+skimmers

Thanks!

Aqua-Digital
12-14-2016, 07:59 PM
Worth Looking at the Bubble Magus A5 Dc skimmer, amazing price with a 2 year warranty silent DC pump. Available in Canada and serviced if required ever in Canada

DKoKoMan
12-14-2016, 11:41 PM
Worth Looking at the Bubble Magus A5 Dc skimmer, amazing price with a 2 year warranty silent DC pump. Available in Canada and serviced if required ever in Canada

Thanks I will take a look at this model.