PDA

View Full Version : dehumidifier question

gmann
12-08-2016, 06:28 PM
**apologies if I posted in wrong forum**

so ive noiticed that all the windows in my place are covered in condensation, I did a couple of searches and see that the main answer is an HRV or dehumidifier.

Since I don't know if my strata will allow HRV install (still have to read the strata by laws), I was considering a dehumidifier. Just wondering if there is a general rule of thumb of how big a unit I would need? I assume I would place the unit in the fish room?

tank specs are 280g +/- 20g including sump.

also if there is a better option im all ears.

thanks

kamloops_reefer
12-08-2016, 08:40 PM
this happens to us during the colder months - what I have found is a temporary fix is to put glass ontop of our tank, and rigid insulation ontop of our sump - it cuts down on the indoor humidity. Ours is so bad that we will have to replace a coupole of the window sills due to water damage being absorbed into the MDF trim work.

gmann
12-09-2016, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the tips. I actually was thinking of putting a cover over my sump.

GQsmooth
12-10-2016, 01:37 AM
Run you're HRV unit or vent fan in the winter...

rayjay
12-10-2016, 05:37 AM
I tried a dehumidifier and it might have helped some but not a lot. I guess it depends on how many tanks and total surface area of water. Just remember that when the dehumidifier lowers the moisture level, it makes the evaporation rate go up so I had to also top up the tanks with more water than before.
I ended up putting in a double core HRV and then had to replace my windows and doors because I left things go too long.
Forgot to mention, when covering up the top you make it harder for a proper gas exchange to occur resulting in lower pH.

hondas3000
12-10-2016, 06:05 AM
if you are in a strata building then try to find a humidity control switch that let you set to certain humid % you want, and when it is getting higher than the setting your washroom fan will kick in get the air out. Unless your washroom have no fan or a weak fan then it is no good, but this way it is cheaper for you and it works.

spedly
12-18-2016, 11:00 PM
this happens to us during the colder months - what I have found is a temporary fix is to put glass ontop of our tank, and rigid insulation ontop of our sump - it cuts down on the indoor humidity. Ours is so bad that we will have to replace a coupole of the window sills due to water damage being absorbed into the MDF trim work.

Could you post a picture or two of what you did with your sump? I'm having the same problem. Thanks!

rayjay
12-19-2016, 03:21 AM
Just remember that any covering of the tank/sump will restrict gas exchange to some degree and thereby reduce tank pH.

gmann
12-19-2016, 06:23 AM
i turned up the heat and that seemed to help with the condensation. cant wait for the hydro bill now lol

Myka
12-19-2016, 01:28 PM
i turned up the heat and that seemed to help with the condensation. cant wait for the hydro bill now lol
Try heating your house when it's -40 out, then we'll talk about the hydro bill. Until then, you have nothing to complain about. :lol:

I use a portable dehumidifier in the winter months that's set to "medium" which keeps humidity around 48%. We also keep the furnace fan running all the time, which costs next to nothing on our high efficiency furnace, but it really helps to mix the air and filters it while it's at it (the fan runs all year actually). Doing this we get a little bit of condensation on the windows when its -25 or worse, but otherwise all good.

For those who are ruining your window sills with the condensation, use those kits to cover your windows in plastic and run the double sided tape on the outside edges of your window casings. You use a hair blow dryer on the plastic and it tightens up so you can see through it quite well, then trim the edges of plastic so it's tidy. The condensation will then only show up on the plastic and will save your windows. Very cheap solution.

SoloSK71
12-20-2016, 04:10 AM
Since I don't know if my strata will allow HRV install (still have to read the strata by laws)

I don't know about B.C. but here in Alberta we were OK'ed for using one of these Lunos Nexxt (https://foursevenfive.com/product/lunos-nexxt/) units.

Charles

kengeroo
12-20-2016, 02:44 PM
Window fans s/b okay in your strata,,, they are neutral colored,,do not extend pass the plane of your window and not excessively noisy..
I have 2 blowing out and I have 1 window slightly open,,,
24/7 air circulation...

https://www.amazon.ca/Sunbeam-Dual-Blade-Window-White/dp/B00HQ9RDJO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482248621&sr=8-2&keywords=window+fan+bionaire