PDA

View Full Version : Water from your dehumidifier

Animal-Chin
12-07-2016, 05:42 PM
I keep a dehumidifier in my fish room. Its on a timer that comes on at night. In about 4 days it fills up the reservoir and I have to empty it.

My question, is this water super clean? Can I empty it back into my ATO bucket to be put back into the tank? I figure its probably super clean but I'm not sure how they work and whether or not the water is safe after its pulled out of the air?

Thoughts?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-07-2016, 05:47 PM
If your dehumidifier is very clean, then the water in it should also be clean cause its similar to distilled water (pulled out of the water vapour in the air).

At the same time, they say the air in our homes is way "dirtier" than the air outside, so I use mine to water some plants. Not sure if any copper or other potentially harmful piping is used in your dehumidifier.

It's a risk/reward situation. Is the "risk" of killing your corals worth the "reward" of recycling some water?

Rule of thumb for what water to use: Would you drink it?

Animal-Chin
12-07-2016, 05:53 PM
I would drink it if I understood it was super clean...lol Thus, why I'm asking.

I have no idea of even the science behind removing evaporated water from the air. Was hoping someone did and could be like "ya ya I do it all the time, go for it".......or something....lol