PDA

View Full Version : Using Carbon to Polish Water

DKoKoMan
12-05-2016, 03:00 AM
I am currently running my 75 gallon bow front tank with a 30 gallon sump. I have my protein skimmer pulling a good amount of skimmate out of the water column, almost looks like dust particles

DKoKoMan
12-05-2016, 03:03 AM
I am looking for anyone who has experience running a carbon reactor to polish the water for the "clear water". I am looking for the pro/cons of using carbon before I go out and acquire a reactor. Also looking for any suggestions on reactor and carbon media.

Thanks for the help! :wink:

WarDog
12-05-2016, 03:43 AM
A reactor for carbon is a waste of money IMHO. If you have one kicking around, then fine. Just throw some fresh rinsed carbon in a mesh bag and chuck it in your sump. Easy and just as effective.

whatcaneyedo
12-05-2016, 03:48 AM
I've been using a minimal amount for the past decade that I change out monthly. One major issue with carbon is that you do not want it 'fluidized' (tumbling) in the reactor. If the media bounces around it will create fines which have been linked to HLLE Head and Lateral Line Erosion. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/activated-carbon-affirmed-as-causative-agent-for-hlle-disease Aside from that risk it is a great product to increase water clarity and remove harmful compounds (especially for a mixed reef). Some critics complain that it also removes beneficial trace elements from the water. But for the average person those would be replenished through regular water changes.

ROX carbon seems to be the way to go these days. Its a little more expensive by weight but has greater surface area and is therefore more effective. There are lots of suitable reactors out there. The old Two Little Fishies design wasn't very good in my opinion so I've been using Bulk Reef Supply's for the last few years.

DKoKoMan
12-05-2016, 04:06 AM
A reactor for carbon is a waste of money IMHO. If you have one kicking around, then fine. Just throw some fresh rinsed carbon in a mesh bag and chuck it in your sump. Easy and just as effective.

That was my plan if I didn't do the reactor was to do the mesh bag and refill. Thanks for your opinion.

DKoKoMan
12-05-2016, 04:10 AM
I've been using a minimal amount for the past decade that I change out monthly. One major issue with carbon is that you do not want it 'fluidized' (tumbling) in the reactor. If the media bounces around it will create fines which have been linked to HLLE Head and Lateral Line Erosion. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/activated-carbon-affirmed-as-causative-agent-for-hlle-disease Aside from that risk it is a great product to increase water clarity and remove harmful compounds (especially for a mixed reef). Some critics complain that it also removes beneficial trace elements from the water. But for the average person those would be replenished through regular water changes.

ROX carbon seems to be the way to go these days. Its a little more expensive by weight but has greater surface area and is therefore more effective. There are lots of suitable reactors out there. The old Two Little Fishies design wasn't very good in my opinion so I've been using Bulk Reef Supply's for the last few years.

Thanks for all the information. I always see tanks with crystal clear water, I don't expect to have pristine water but a little more clear would make me happy. I saw the BRS reactor, couldn't figure out how to ship to Edmonton, AB so I gave up lol. But the Rox looked good and was reasonably priced, as well the reactor could mount in my cabinet.

sobe
12-05-2016, 04:59 AM
I use a small mesh bag of granular sized activated carbon just under where my drain empties to the sump. I notice the water is clearer and doesn't have much of that fishy water smell. My 110 is running about close to 6 years now.. I have a yellow tang that is 11 years old doesn't have hlle that came from my old tank. As some people said gac can be a culprit in this disease in tangs

I just the fluval brand bulk gac, it rinses good, and price compared to other gac is good, I replace it every month I'd say about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup in a mesh bag I use

DKoKoMan
12-05-2016, 05:37 AM
I use a small mesh bag of granular sized activated carbon just under where my drain empties to the sump. I notice the water is clearer and doesn't have much of that fishy water smell. My 110 is running about close to 6 years now.. I have a yellow tang that is 11 years old doesn't have hlle that came from my old tank. As some people said gac can be a culprit in this disease in tangs

I just the fluval brand bulk gac, it rinses good, and price compared to other gac is good, I replace it every month I'd say about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup in a mesh bag I use

Thanks! I will definitely go that route an save some money. Looking forward to see how my water clarity comes along. I just finished a water change 2 days ago and I found my water to have a yellow tinge and fishy smell. I'm hoping this will eliminate most of this and give a nice clear appearance. :biggrin:

GQsmooth
12-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Chemi pure blue works amazing

DKoKoMan
12-06-2016, 01:22 AM
Chemi pure blue works amazing

Funny you say that, I just picked up a container of it and placed it in my sump. Fingers crossed that my water looks clear.

Myka
12-06-2016, 02:09 AM
I am currently running my 75 gallon bow front tank with a 30 gallon sump. I have my protein skimmer pulling a good amount of skimmate out of the water column, almost looks like dust particles

Carbon won't help with "dust particles". Carbon removes yellowing of the water, and other dissolved organics.

Do you have filter pads, sponges, or socks in the sump? Are you sure the "dust particles" aren't microbubbles coming from the sump?

DKoKoMan
12-06-2016, 02:56 AM
Carbon won't help with "dust particles". Carbon removes yellowing of the water, and other dissolved organics.

Do you have filter pads, sponges, or socks in the sump? Are you sure the "dust particles" aren't microbubbles coming from the sump?

I have a filter sock in my sump, then protein skimmer, green filter and then my return pump. Majority of the "dust particles" have disappeared now. I have cleaned my sock more frequently and fine tuned my skimmer. I'm hoping the carbon will reduce the yellow tinge. I confirmed the particles in the DT were not micro bubbles and no micro bubbles being formed in the sump. :wink:

Myka
12-06-2016, 01:05 PM
I have a filter sock in my sump, then protein skimmer, green filter and then my return pump. Majority of the "dust particles" have disappeared now. I have cleaned my sock more frequently and fine tuned my skimmer. I'm hoping the carbon will reduce the yellow tinge. I confirmed the particles in the DT were not micro bubbles and no micro bubbles being formed in the sump. :wink:

Great! Vacuuming the sand during waterchanges helps too, and if your tank can support one, a sand sifting fish can really help too. :)

gregzz4
12-07-2016, 02:39 AM
I started off 4-5 years ago using the BRS recommended amount of carbon.
I scaled it back to only 100ml for my 115g system.
Lately I've not been using any. My water is staying clear with a large sock, nitrogen dosing, and very little to no use of GFO.
Still tweaking the nitrogen addition, but haven't used carbon in at least 2-3 months.
My tank is mixed corals.

DKoKoMan
12-07-2016, 04:44 AM
I started off 4-5 years ago using the BRS recommended amount of carbon.
I scaled it back to only 100ml for my 115g system.
Lately I've not been using any. My water is staying clear with a large sock, nitrogen dosing, and very little to no use of GFO.
Still tweaking the nitrogen addition, but haven't used carbon in at least 2-3 months.
My tank is mixed corals.

Gregzz, what kind of skimmer are you running? Within 2 days of my carbon bag in the sump, the water is looking nice and clear. That being said cleaning the filter sock more frequently and my finicky skimmer has helped!

WarDog
12-07-2016, 05:27 AM
Greg uses a Skimz skimmer that's older than..... old. Check out his thread here (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=120278).

DKoKoMan
12-07-2016, 05:37 AM
Greg uses a Skimz skimmer that's older than..... old. Check out his thread here (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=120278).

Thanks for the link to the re-build. That was an awesome read and nice to to see the progression.

Tooboot
12-07-2016, 07:43 PM
what about filter pads between baffles in the sump.

I had nothing but a Phosban bag there until recently. had an issue with my kid dumping some medicated water in the sump, and have since added a bunch of other filters to counter the effect the meds may have on my beneficial bacteria.

does any one have any experience and feedback to share on nitrate and phosphate removing pads, or a polyfilter?

i've recently added two small bags of carbon, poly filter, chemipure, nitrate and phosphate filter pads, cuprisorb. (probably overkill but the water looks good). what effect may this have on my fish (one clown) and inverts. there is also a filter sock and a BM nac 3.5 skimmer.

kengeroo
12-07-2016, 08:01 PM
I purchased one of these...
Only use it when I'm turkey basting my rocks,,, and when they're are lots of crap floating around..

works great !!!

http://www.jlaquatics.com/dry-goods/aquarium-supplies/filters-parts/marineland-magnum-internal-polishing-filter.html

Tooboot
12-07-2016, 08:21 PM
I purchased one of these...
Only use it when I'm turkey basting my rocks,,, and when they're are lots of crap floating around..

works great !!!

http://www.jlaquatics.com/dry-goods/aquarium-supplies/filters-parts/marineland-magnum-internal-polishing-filter.html

is that because you don't have a sump. I guess I am just trying to understand why someone wouldn't just add filtration to their sump.

gregzz4
12-07-2016, 11:57 PM
Greg uses a Skimz skimmer that's older than..... old.
It's not THAT old :wink: It was bought in spring 2011

It's an SK181 Kone and works like a champ with my system size

kengeroo
12-08-2016, 01:38 AM
I have the redsea c-250,,, has the rear sump...

I bought this filter because I don't need it 24/7... it's a maintenance component,,, blast rocks,,, stir sand,,, remove gunk with filter when needed...

works well... you can turbo charge the filter the diatoms earth powder stuff,,, google it...

is that because you don't have a sump. I guess I am just trying to understand why someone wouldn't just add filtration to their sump.

Tooboot
12-08-2016, 01:51 AM
interesting, like a in-tank power washer.

DKoKoMan
12-08-2016, 02:43 PM
I have the redsea c-250,,, has the rear sump...

I bought this filter because I don't need it 24/7... it's a maintenance component,,, blast rocks,,, stir sand,,, remove gunk with filter when needed...

works well... you can turbo charge the filter the diatoms earth powder stuff,,, google it...

What filter are you using to catch all the particles during the blasting?