PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Saying Hi and Question on Lighting

KTV
11-18-2004, 08:44 PM
Good day,
I just wanted to introduce myself as a newbie, I just started a 33 gallon salt water tank about 2 months ago. Been keeping freshwater tanks all my life and thought I'd try something new. The inhabitants are 2 Occellaris clows, some mushroom coral and a candy cane coral which I just acquired from a fella who recommended me this site.

I would like to get an Anenome for my Clowfish but heard that they're very hard to keep. I will probably be obtaining more corals soon and probably 1-2 more fish and a couple of shrimps. Nothing exotic, probably a tang or an anthias.

I do have a newbie question though. Right now I have a ugly 18watt coolwhite lamp in my canopy. I plan to upgrade very soon. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with ~110W of Compact Flourescent. Most deffinately 2X55W bulbs as those will be the easiest for me to fit into the existing canopy.

However, I'm unsure as to what degree Kelvin I need for lights. Some of the reading I've done suggest that 6500K is perfectly fine while other sources say go with a 50/50 10000K and Actinic, and some say Actinic and 6500K. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
KV

bluetang
11-18-2004, 08:56 PM
I use two PC bulbs, a 10K and a attinic bulb and have no problem with the lighting.

Tarolisol
11-18-2004, 09:12 PM
Blue tangs got it right i have 10000k and actinic, Also dont you think a tang is not the right fish for a 33 gallon most tangs get over a foot long at least.

danny zubot
11-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Welcome to Canreef KV!
I will third the 10K and actinic as well. The info you have recieved about the tang is correct, I won't even put one in my 54 gallon tank. As for the anemone, try this link for some research material. It helped me a lot. :biggrin:
http://biodiversity.uno.edu/ebooks/intro.html

Danny

Buccaneer
11-18-2004, 11:01 PM
Anthias need alot of room to swim ... some say even more room than Tangs and a 33G is definately on the small side for both species ... also they require feeding at least 3 times a day so you would have to be sure that your filtration can keep up with the byproducts of heavy feedings.

A mature tank is preferred for a anemone < 6 mos to a year old > ... best bet is to wait a little till a split shows up locally here in the buy/sell section.

Welcome to Canreef :mrgreen:

Tarolisol
11-18-2004, 11:58 PM
Oh yes and welcome. Also if you want to check some basic needs like tank size www.liveaquaria.com is pretty good with size recomendations.

KTV
11-19-2004, 04:22 AM
Wow.. thanks for the responses. Looks like actinic and 10k it is then. Any one know of cheap places for these bulbs?

So no Anthias and no Tang... Hm.. ok. .. I guess it's more reseach here I come.

Tarolisol
11-19-2004, 09:04 AM
Dont worry there are still lots of cool fish you can keep. You just have to look alittle harder :biggrin:

danny zubot
11-19-2004, 02:04 PM
If you want to buy bulbs cheap locally I'd recommend Wai's or Gold's. If you don't mind orderinf online you might find a better deal, Aquaria.ca or JL's are a good place to start. :biggrin:

AJ_77
11-19-2004, 03:25 PM
Hi and welcome. You can go with actinic and daylight bulbs as well - order the actinic online (save some $$) and get the daylight for $13 at Brite-Lite. Some find that 10K and actinic is a little dim.

Or if you like the pink/VHO kind of look you can source the GE 9325K bulbs - they also do well in combination. There was a link to a supplier in Vancouver a while back, you'd have to find that thread. :biggrin: